Penalty Shots ala Roger Neilson

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
In the late 1960's Roger Nielson was the coach of the Peterborough Petes and did't like penalty shots. In one game, he was fed up when the opposition was awarded one and decided to go about it a different way. he decided to pull his goalie, and instead put star defenceman Ron Stackhouse in the net. When the opposing player touched the puck to begin, Stackhouse charged at him and hit him, ending the penalty shot.

Should we bring back the ability to do this now? I don't see why not. The team who have up the penalty shot is running the risk of the opposing player just shooting it in, while the goalie having been pulled means the player defending the goal has free reign to block/poke check/body check the player with the puck.

Penalty shots are already exiting, imagine adding this to the mix. I think it could prove for some incredible entertainment if it was allowed to happen again.

Last edited:

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
IIRC There was also no rule forbidding leaving your stick on the ice until he got one of his goalies to leave it laying across the crease when they were pulled.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Fun in theory but I'm guessing modern coaches would all be boring and just leave the goalie in.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I would love to see Gaudreau getting ready for a penalty shot but Chara comes out instead and starts charging at him. I doubt any NHL coach would legit pull this though if it were allowed unless they're up 10-0 and they get bored

Reactions: TSN Jdog

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I would love to see Gaudreau getting ready for a penalty shot but Chara comes out instead and starts charging at him. I doubt any NHL coach would legit pull this though if it were allowed unless they're up 10-0 and they get bored

Way funnier if Chara's the one taking the penalty shot.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't understand this. A player charging at you like that is incredibly easy to avoid.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
I don't understand this. A player charging at you like that is incredibly easy to avoid.

lots of NHL d-men can hold their own in a one-on-one situation. Kind of lie when a player is shooting at an empty net at the end of a game but the d-man either blocks the shot, checks, him, or poke-checks him.

member 151739

One of the worst ideas I have ever heard. The only time besides a breakaway where a player has the time and space to make a move, and the suggestion is to add shot blocking to the situation.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
lots of NHL d-men can hold their own in a one-on-one situation. Kind of lie when a player is shooting at an empty net at the end of a game but the d-man either blocks the shot, checks, him, or poke-checks him.
That's not normally the dman "charging" at the forward tho. Most of the time the damn has at least some momentum going back so the forward doesn't just go around him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad