Penalty shot call in the Leafs-Isles Game

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Not mutually exclusive. This is right before Chimera takes his shot, (which was weak), from the nearest vantage point to the ref's out of the videos shared in this thread:

e9r9Dps.png

If there was no contact, and Chimera simply shot poorly by himself, well, like you said, human error.

More aptly put ... a terribly blown call and a massive error in officiating.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Good shot of what would be the ref's perspective I'm guessing and the guy that had to make the call in a split second. But the talking heads said it was the worse call ever so it must have been.
Seems like it lol.

More aptly put ... a terribly blown call and a massive error in officiating.
You just described it as "human error".

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Wow. That's actually worse then the one called on Trouba against the Sharks a couple of weeks ago. Didn't think I'd see that. :laugh:

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
once again good prevails over evil. the refs try their best to give NY and MTL wins every night but fail consistently. They can only do so much to get their darling teams into the playoffs but at the end of the day you need skill.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
At first I brushed it off, yeah bad call. Refs are human, it's a fast game, they can't see everything, etc.

But looking at the reply again... the ref who made the call is in the best possible spot to see everything. On the "stick" side of the infraction, less than 5 metres away. :laugh: That's incredible how he had an unbelievable sightline to see the play and somehow saw a penalty shot worthy hook.

Top Chedz

Jan 26, 2017
I was at the game. Crowd chanted "Ref you suck!" for a good minute or two and wouldn't let up until the period was over.

they got heckled endlessly for the rest of the game as well.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
In hindsight it only really matters (though you'd like to see less horrible mistakes in general) because it stole a well earned shut out from Andersen.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
once again good prevails over evil. the refs try their best to give NY and MTL wins every night but fail consistently. They can only do so much to get their darling teams into the playoffs but at the end of the day you need skill.

It's the reverse vampires and saucer people I tells ya.

Btw the Habs are among the leaders in PK minutes. If the refs are helping them, they're doing a pretty poor job at it.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I was at the game. Crowd chanted "Ref you suck!" for a good minute or two and wouldn't let up until the period was over.

they got heckled endlessly for the rest of the game as well.
Them getting a much more negative reaction than the Isles as they came out for the third was pretty great too :laugh:

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Soft penalty shot for Jason chimera. Basically just a one handed phantom tap and it was instantly called a penalty.

Chimera scores on penalty, this game is a battle for last playoff spot.

Will update with vid

I would have been p.o.ed if that was a tying goal (or game winner). Weak call and then some.

It was easy for the coach and players to all sing the "just move on and play the game" song during the media interviews because it was a decisive win. But had that been a game changer.... oh boy...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The weird thing is, the ref was in perfect position to see it. Usually bad calls are a result of refs doing some guessing to fill in what they missed.

Yeah, but the reach came in on the opposite side. The ref probably thought there was contact with the glove there. ****** call, nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad