Penalty on Off-Side?

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Rule Question...

Let's say Player makes a breakaway pass to his teammate, the breakaway pass is offside, player is about to shoot and defenseman hooks him. Penalty is called. Player scores.

Team challenges offside and wins, would the penalty still apply?

If no, what if the player didn't score, could the offside be challenged to negate the penalty?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If the player didn't score, the play would be non-reviewable thus the penalty would stand. You can only challenge offsides if a goal is scored.

As for if the player did score and goal was negated by offside review, that's a good question. I wanna say the penalty would be negated but can't say for sure.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Don't they reset the clock back to when the offside happened? Since the time is reset, there is not time for the penalty.

For example: say the offside that is missed happens at 13:13, the hook happens at 13:12, and then the goal happens at 13:10. The play is challenged successfully, and the clock is reset to 13:13. The penalty can't stand since officially 13:12 hasn't happened yet.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
From the rule book,

A team may only request a Coach’s Challenge to review the
following scenarios:
(i)
“Off-side” Play Leading to a Goal
– A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the play should have been stopped by reason of an “Off-side” infraction by the
attacking team.

(a) The standard for overturning the call in the event of a
“GOAL” call
on the ice is that the NHL Situa
tion
Room, after reviewing any
and all available replays and consulting with the Linesman
determines that one or more Players on the attacking
team
preceded the puck into the attacking zone prior to the goal being
scored and that, as a result, the play sh
ould have been stopped
for an “Off
-side” infraction; where this standard is met, the goal
will be disallowed.
(b) If the result of the challenge is that the play was
“On-
side
”, the
goal shall count and the team that issued the challenge shall be
assessed a
minor penalty for delaying the game.
(c)
In the event a goal is reversed due to the
NHL Situation
Room
(after consulting with the Linesman) determining that the play was
“Off
-side” prior to the goal being scored, the clock (including
penalty time clocks,
if applicable) will be re-set to the time at
which the play should have been stopped for the “Off
-side”
infraction.
NOTE 1
: Goals will only be reviewed for a potential “Off
-side”
infraction if: (a) the puck does not come out of the attacking zone
again;
or (b) all members of the attacking team do not clear the
attacking zone again, between the time of the “Off
-side” play and the
time the goal is scored.
NOTE 2
: If one or more penalties (major or minor) are assessed
between the time of the “Off-side” play and the video review that
disallows the apparent goal, the offending team(s) (and responsible
Player(s)) will still be required to serve the penalty(ies) identified and assessed, and the time of the penalty(ies) will be recorded as the time
at which the play should have been stopped for the “Off-side”
infraction.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

Answers all your questions.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Rule Question...

Let's say Player makes a breakaway pass to his teammate, the breakaway pass is offside, player is about to shoot and defenseman hooks him. Penalty is called. Player scores.

Team challenges offside and wins, would the penalty still apply?

If no, what if the player didn't score, could the offside be challenged to negate the penalty?
A play something like this happened last year with the Caps. It wasnt an offside. It was a weird play.
The Caps thought they scored a goal and started celebrating but the play kept going. The loose puck ended up going to Ovi and he takes a shot on net. The Caps think they scored again but the ref waived it off again then their opponent goes on an odd man rush. I think the team was the Sharks. Kuznetsov gets called for a hook on the back check. The regain possession and the whistle blows. They decide to review the earlier scoring chance to see if the Caps scored. It turned out they did in fact score. I assumed the click would go back to when the goal was scored and nothing after that would count. The goal counted, the clock when back but Kuznetsov still got the penalty even though it happened well after the goal and the time that the clock should have been stopped. I was a bit shocked. I understand the reasoning. What if a major infraction happed that caused an injury?

Reactions: gtrower

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
That's exactly how I thought the rule was. This rule didn't exist when I was reffing. There was no replays.

The rule was also amended no too long ago (last season?) to assess a minor penalty for unsuccessful off-side challenges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad