Penalty on Off-Side?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Garavar, Oct 16, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Garavar

Garavar Registered User

Rule Question...

Let's say Player makes a breakaway pass to his teammate, the breakaway pass is offside, player is about to shoot and defenseman hooks him. Penalty is called. Player scores.

Team challenges offside and wins, would the penalty still apply?

If no, what if the player didn't score, could the offside be challenged to negate the penalty?

2. Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles Registered User

If the player didn't score, the play would be non-reviewable thus the penalty would stand. You can only challenge offsides if a goal is scored.

As for if the player did score and goal was negated by offside review, that's a good question. I wanna say the penalty would be negated but can't say for sure.

3. ThirdManIn

ThirdManIn Aspiring Sinecure

Rippin' and runnin'
    Awards:
    Don't they reset the clock back to when the offside happened? Since the time is reset, there is not time for the penalty.

For example: say the offside that is missed happens at 13:13, the hook happens at 13:12, and then the goal happens at 13:10. The play is challenged successfully, and the clock is reset to 13:13. The penalty can't stand since officially 13:12 hasn't happened yet.

4. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

From the rule book,

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

Answers all your questions.

Suntouchable13 and Garavar like this.
  5. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

A play something like this happened last year with the Caps. It wasnt an offside. It was a weird play.
    The Caps thought they scored a goal and started celebrating but the play kept going. The loose puck ended up going to Ovi and he takes a shot on net. The Caps think they scored again but the ref waived it off again then their opponent goes on an odd man rush. I think the team was the Sharks. Kuznetsov gets called for a hook on the back check. The regain possession and the whistle blows. They decide to review the earlier scoring chance to see if the Caps scored. It turned out they did in fact score. I assumed the click would go back to when the goal was scored and nothing after that would count. The goal counted, the clock when back but Kuznetsov still got the penalty even though it happened well after the goal and the time that the clock should have been stopped. I was a bit shocked. I understand the reasoning. What if a major infraction happed that caused an injury?

gtrower likes this.
  6. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

7. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

The rule was also amended no too long ago (last season?) to assess a minor penalty for unsuccessful off-side challenges.