Penalties/play nasty

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I have been suggesting that we should take nasty penalties.
Tonight is a good example.
Mantha has a breakaway, the guy slashed him he almost chopped his hand off.
Ott takes a kind/nice and stupid penalty and put us 5 on 3.

I am not advocating injuries, but man this is hockey. Be nasty play nasty. If you take a penalty, make it count. Can't believe the wings don't understand this.

Play nasty

Last edited by a moderator:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
The last couple years I am convicted that many of our injures come from people who are not afraid of hitting us late and dirty. See Howard's injury. To be blunt no one cares if we score on a power play if they can take our our number one goalie. Think of the Habs without price last year. So they score on a power play. Who cares losing him lost their season. That's how teams have acted against Detroit for years. See drapers injury vs Colorado.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Howard was hurt because Jensen got overzealous trying to play much bigger than he is. And despite the Wings getting tougher the following season, Turtle's hit on Drapes came at a time when we had McCarty, Lapointe, Primeau, and Grimson on the team - all guys who could drop the gloves and handle themselves pretty well.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Howard was hurt because Jensen got overzealous trying to play much bigger than he is. And despite the Wings getting tougher the following season, Turtle's hit on Drapes came at a time when we had McCarty, Lapointe, Primeau, and Grimson on the team - all guys who could drop the gloves and handle themselves pretty well.

I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure they have more fighting majors so far this season that most of the past seasons combined. Smith, Mantha, Ericsson, Ott, Abdelkader, AA, Larkin, have all fought, I think. I may be missing more.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yep if theyre gonna suck they might as well at least play tough. And to be fair they have this year. Theyre one fight out of second in the league in fighting majors. I mean people have so no enforcers and blah blah (I kinda agree), but its not like a guy like Sheahan does much more out there.

I hope they sign more guys like Ott and keep Smith, Ericcson and Abdelkader so that the young guys dont have to worry about it as much, develop a bit of a mean streak and provide more entertaining games to watch if theyre gonna blow

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure they have more fighting majors so far this season that most of the past seasons combined. Smith, Mantha, Ericsson, Ott, Abdelkader, AA, Larkin, have all fought, I think. I may be missing more.

Yeah, if we're measuring toughness solely through fighting majors the Wings have done pretty well this year. Oddly, I'm not sure I'd say we're an overly "physical" team, though, which is what I think ari was getting at a bit more in the original post.

Yep if theyre gonna suck they might as well at least play tough. And to be fair they have this year. Theyre one fight out of second in the league in fighting majors. I mean people have so no enforcers and blah blah (I kinda agree), but its not like a guy like Sheahan does much more out there.

I hope they sign more guys like Ott and keep Smith, Ericcson and Abdelkader so that the young guys dont have to worry about it as much, develop a bit of a mean streak and provide more entertaining games to watch if theyre gonna blow

I don't think we have to worry about Gator or Ericsson going anywhere, as I don't think many teams will want to take on their commitments. I don't disagree about bringing in more physical players, or players with some bite. It goes back to something Bench was talking about in another thread, that if we can't get the required skill to immediately compete, then we need to be tougher to play against (or just give up all pretenses and go for a straight rebuild).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't worry folks, Bertuzzi, givani and svech are incoming!

Svech is a very greasy dude for how talented he is. Reminds me of Corey Perry at times if I had to use a comparable in terms of filthy talent but questionable decisions at times. He hasn't had that quite as much in the pros as he had in juniors but I think it is coming. Another way of looking at it without getting into an upper echelon name is he is very much an upgraded Abdelkader when you watch him a lot.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Svech is a very greasy dude for how talented he is. Reminds me of Corey Perry at times if I had to use a comparable in terms of filthy talent but questionable decisions at times. He hasn't had that quite as much in the pros as he had in juniors but I think it is coming. Another way of looking at it without getting into an upper echelon name is he is very much an upgraded Abdelkader when you watch him a lot.

Svech equals Abdelkader with hands
Larkin equals Helm with hands

What we need is a Nyquist or Tatar with size.

Or a Brendan Smith with not being ****ty at hockey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Svech equals Abdelkader with hands
Larkin equals Helm with hands

What we need is a Nyquist or Tatar with size.

Or a Brendan Smith with not being ****ty at hockey.

Could care less about size. I'd take a more skilled version of Nyquist or Tatar that is the exact same size. That would essentially be Nikita Kucherov. Or Patrick Kane.

I don't really want to watch goonery, I want to watch puck possession and skilled hockey. Not sure we need more than 1-2 big body guys in our top 6. Like when we won the Cup in 08. Between Abdelkader and his 7 year deal, Svech + Givani, I think we are fine in that area. Just need to get the skilled guys that actually will carry the team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Could care less about size. I'd take a more skilled version of Nyquist or Tatar that is the exact same size. That would essentially be Nikita Kucherov. Or Patrick Kane.

I don't really want to watch goonery, I want to watch puck possession and skilled hockey. Not sure we need more than 1-2 big body guys in our top 6. Like when we won the Cup in 08. Between Abdelkader and his 7 year deal, Svech + Givani, I think we are fine in that area. Just need to get the skilled guys that actually will carry the team.

Agree in terms of we have a grimy element coming up finally. I am not sure we have a huge problem there. It is something they should still take fliers on from time to time when it is there to be had in the draft. However, what we need is more skill again.

One of the reasons I like the Cholo pick is they went with a raw guy with tons of talent. He might grow more and whatever else but he is a blank canvass with a lot of tools to work with. That is intriguing more so than just this guy is big. I like having that too, but what we have as a problem right now is skill level so maybe the project guys have to be the focus right now.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

I didn't want to go crazy and ask for the moon. Was just saying that the biggest issues that Nyquist and Tatar both face as players is that they get beaten up pretty easy and become ineffective. I meant size as in "not being knocked off the puck and neutralized by a team like the Bruins" and not physical play so much.

E: Because I think that given space they would score. They've both shown that. Some length would go a long way to help them with that.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agree in terms of we have a grimy element coming up finally. I am not sure we have a huge problem there. It is something they should still take fliers on from time to time when it is there to be had in the draft. However, what we need is more skill again.

One of the reasons I like the Cholo pick is they went with a raw guy with tons of talent. He might grow more and whatever else but he is a blank canvass with a lot of tools to work with. That is intriguing more so than just this guy is big. I like having that too, but what we have as a problem right now is skill level so maybe the project guys have to be the focus right now.

I like the thought process behind the Cholo pick, I just struggle with that one because there were other options I liked better. But I also like him better than some of the options that were out there, too. Thank god we got him over Logan Stanley. I also was not a fan of drafting Lucas Johansen. I like Cholo's skillset over both.

Also Hronek and Saarijarvi are good examples of this. Favoring skill over size. That's probably why they are my favorite prospects :laugh:

Like you said, pick them here and there (big/phsyical guys). But I don't think it's the most important thing for us. Obviously if you can get one with a skillset you also feel good about, go for it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

We started the season with a lot of temper and determination. Many fights too. Then we won 6 in a row.

I am not advocating fighting or injuring players, I just mean that Ericsson and smith should provide some nastiness around the net. Ott and Jurco in O zone.
We loved Vladdie for his nastiness. And I think this team would be much better of with playing with some edge.
Take a penalty, but make it count.
I am sure we would more.

Fights are not necessary, they can change the momentum, but it is not what I mean. We need to be nasty.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
As long as we arent identified as a team with a bunch of Matt Cooke type guys then sure go for it. Atleast it would be entertaining and it would add some value to some of our guys for fantasy hockey :D

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

XO Twice. We have 17 fighting majors which tied us for 3rd in the league. We had 8 in both 14-15 and 15-16 regular seasons.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, but if you actually watch any of the fights... they maybe have two that are anything. The rest are "hold onto the guy and hope I can pull him down before he pummels me."

Fights aren't a good measure of physicality if the fight consists of you hanging on for dear life and maybe throwing one punch.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Meh I'm not gonna go back and watch all of the fights again but liking at the list of fight cards I'd estimate a solid 8-10 were legitimate fights or at least like Larkin's two punches to Weber's face and done. XO had a good fight and a dud, Mantha had a good fight and a dud, E had a couple good ones, Ott's always feisty, etc

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You see. We lost Green to injury for weeks. And nothing happens. The league does not protect players.

Anyhow. If we play nasty we get much better off.

Leafs first goal, Jensen does not play the puck, but instead crosschecks the player, the goal does not happen or if it happens, the player pays the price for being in the cease and scoring an easy goal.
The same with second. Mantha knocks that player on his ass he never scores . Instead he watches the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad