Penalizing trading on the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's my post from the other thread...

I don't like the penalty for trading on the clock at all. If we are giving GMs a certain amount of time each pick then they should be allowed to use that time however they see fit. There's absolutely no difference between someone using their entire clock to try to make a trade and using the clock to do research or to do some other non-ATD activity. Why is the person that's trading punished, but not the guy who waits till the last minute to do his player research or the guy who doesn't log on all day to see if it's his turn? There is a wide array of activities that hold up the draft...only one of them comes with a penalty. There's no solution, we just have to put trust in our fellow GMs to make their picks in a timely manner.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
There needs to be a way for a mod to make a thread always stay at the top of the section.

I still don't understand why are you voting on these polls. You aren't taking part in this draft, so these rules are irrelevant for you, and it's not like they won't be changed till next draft, since that's what usually happens. So why are you skewing the polls?

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
I would not penalize GMs for trading on the clock.

Though I wish we did not have trades at all.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The clocks are designed to allow people time to have a job, a family, a life, etc.

I don't believe sitting on your computer, just waiting for somebody to hopefully make a trade with you, is part of that.

Conditional trades work just as well, but can be worked out before.

Penalties for trading on the clock please.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
and it's not like they won't be changed till next draft, since that's what usually happens.

If the rules for this draft work well, maybe we'll just decide to keep them for the following draft. IMO, the reason getting input from everyone was so important this time is because it hasn't happened for a long time, if ever.

Sorta like how we in the States vote once every 4 years for President or something...

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I still don't understand why are you voting on these polls. You aren't taking part in this draft, so these rules are irrelevant for you, and it's not like they won't be changed till next draft, since that's what usually happens. So why are you skewing the polls?

Or argueing with participating gm's trying to voice their opinions.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In this case, 70s and Sturminator's votes cancel out anyway. I have no idea who Sandro88 is or what his interest in the draft is, so his vote won't count.

Edit: Removed Sandro88's vote (but can't remove his name as a poster who has voted)

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
so you have the right to an opinion but I don't?

I can see where an active GM might not want inactive GMs voting on the rules (though I think you and Sturm certainly have an interest in seeing the draft run smoothly). But everyone who wants to post their opinion on something is free to do so.

For the record though, neither 70s or Sturm has been the deciding vote on anything we've deciding so far.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
The clocks are designed to allow people time to have a job, a family, a life, etc.

I don't believe sitting on your computer, just waiting for somebody to hopefully make a trade with you, is part of that.

Conditional trades work just as well, but can be worked out before.

Penalties for trading on the clock please.

This is why I am voting for penalties.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Let'a make it a MINOR PENALTY.

If you trade while on the clock, you aren't allowed to make any additional trades for two minutes.

Any bigger penalty than that is stupid.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I've always worked out trades before my pick, its just respect for the other gm's and a bit of a deadline to get it done.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
is this the NHL?
Lockouts, ongoing negotiations, swapping of proposals, voting by membership, deadlock discussions, no preset start date.

You decide. ;)

52459847.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad