Recalled/Assigned: Pelech recalled 2/18; returned 2/21

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Or the coaches realized that Galiardi or Gomez are better options.

But these two were already on the roster when Pelech was called up, so why would he need to be sent back down to make room for one of them? Are they just doing it so they don't have to pay him NHL money? I'll apologize ahead of time, as I don't know much about how all of this works.

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
But these two were already on the roster when Pelech was called up. Are they just sending him down so they don't have to pay him NHL money? I'll apologize ahead of time, as I don't know much about how all of this works.

Probably (I think these minor moves save a few dollars by the TDL). They probably just called him up for a game to reward him for his work in Worcester.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
But these two were already on the roster when Pelech was called up, so why would he need to be sent back down to make room for one of them? Are they just doing it so they don't have to pay him NHL money? I'll apologize ahead of time, as I don't know much about how all of this works.

If SJ is not planning on having him play Friday or Saturday there's no reason not to send him to Worcester who play a 3 in 3 this weekend.

It's also possible they want to continue to bring him up during the season. He can play in 10 games or spend 30 days on the NHL roster before he has to clear waivers again - so if he's not playing, no point in keeping him on the roster.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
IMO Im glad he played agianst the Blues, and I really think TMac called him up purely to play the goon if needed. I was wondering how the Sharks would act going back to St.Louis after being pushed around in the post season. He made his presence known there after the first goal, and I felt the Sharks fed off that emotion and was one of the reasons they won. I wouldnt mind seeing him in certain games throughout the season

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Unless Sheppard was put retroactively on IR (injured before 2/15 game), he can't be activated until next Tuesday (2/26).

As Pelech has cleared waivers once this season, he has 10 games (or 30 days on NHL roster) before he'd have to clear again; he's played two and been on roster about 7 days. It could be that the team does not think they'll need him (Galiardi and/or Gomez back in lineup) against Chicago and/or Dallas.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Probably (I think these minor moves save a few dollars by the TDL). They probably just called him up for a game to reward him for his work in Worcester.

If SJ is not planning on having him play Friday or Saturday there's no reason not to send him to Worcester who play a 3 in 3 this weekend.

It's also possible they want to continue to bring him up during the season. He can play in 10 games or spend 30 days on the NHL roster before he has to clear waivers again - so if he's not playing, no point in keeping him on the roster.

This all makes sense, thanks for the info guys. I still don't get why Galiardi/Gomez would sit for him though. IMO the benefits of having an extra fighter in the lineup aren't enough to outweigh the costs of removing players with higher offensive upside. I'm starting to reach a Demers-level of frustration with how Galiardi's been used so far this season.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This all makes sense, thanks for the info guys. I still don't get why Galiardi/Gomez would sit for him though. IMO the benefits of having an extra fighter in the lineup aren't enough to outweigh the costs of removing players with higher offensive upside. I'm starting to reach a Demers-level of frustration with how Galiardi's been used so far this season.

What is troubling is that Galiardi has had this issue with two coaches. Not a good thing. I think there is some validity to the idea that he is not being used properly; the team has no defined role for him or improperly defined a role for him. But the way he is being handled makes me think that Galiardi himself is partly to blame.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pelech served his purpose by being a presence on the ice in case St. Louis wanted to try and bully the Sharks. He wasn't a liability on the ice at all.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Pelech served his purpose by being a presence on the ice in case St. Louis wanted to try and bully the Sharks. He wasn't a liability on the ice at all.

This post rates a YesNO!!!

He was a terrible liability on the ice and it's honestly a miracle we didn't get scored on when he was.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
Bah. He looked fine to me. 2 days is a long time ago, though...

There was one play that I recall that the only reason he wasn't directly responsible for a GA is that Niemi made a great save. He just drifted into the middle of the defensive zone, away from two open players and wasn't even really looking at the puck.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The only thing I really remember from the game was him getting in Reeves' face when he was jawing and going at some Sharks after the whistle. :laugh:

He did that part fairly well but the best thing he can do is take himself off the ice for 5 minute chunks of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad