News: Pekka Rinne Retires.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Somewhere in Sunrise, Florida, way back in 1996, there was a mailman.
And in his sack of mail, along with hundreds and hundreds of envelopes, there was a letter — from me.
It was addressed to my favorite goalie in the world: John Vanbiesbrouck. I was pretty much obsessed with him when I was 13 years old. I’d send him letters and cards and pictures and all sorts of stuff. And he’d always return them with his autograph. So to me, a tall, skinny street hockey goalie from Kempele, Finland ... man, it was just about the coolest thing in the world.
Even from 5,000 miles away, every time I got a letter back, I’d feel like I was a small part of that Panthers’ Cup run. I’d mimic John’s saves in the driveway with my friends, I’d count down the hours until Sunday morning when the 30-minute NHL highlight show came on. And I’d let myself dream that maybe, maybe, one day I’d play for the Stanley Cup like John.
That, in a way, was the start.
It was the start of an incredible, life-changing journey that has taken me to more places than I could have ever imagined, and given me more than I could ever hope to give back.
But today … today is the end.
I’m retiring from the game of hockey.
This decision wasn’t easy. I spent the summer in Nashville with my fiancée, Erika, and our six-month-old son, Paulus. My body still feels like it could compete at the highest level … but my decision was about a lot more than that. Every time I looked at my son, at Erika — I just felt like a different person, almost, if that makes sense. My priorities had changed, and my mind knew that, even if my body didn’t. And when I really thought about what it would mean to not come back to the rink at the end of the summer, it just felt like the right choice, and the right time.
I still feel that now. It’s the right time.
But I can’t leave without at least trying to put into words what these past 17 years in the Predators organization have meant to me.
So Nashville, if you’ll ride with me one more time, I want to share some stories, say some thanks, and say goodbye.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
IMO He should be in the HOF. One of the best goalies of his Generation (He's better then Luongo IMO and probably on the same level has Lundquist)

So who is going to back up Saros?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
What a great career. Should 100% get his jersey retired.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I see Rinne as a borderline HOFer...... i wouldnt be upset if he got in, but i wouldn't be upset if he didnt get in either

A good career tho all the same. Nashville should def retire his number

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad