News Article: Pekka Rebirth and five things about the Preds at the first quarter mark

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
He just received 1st star of the month as well!

Yep - there is nothing more I like being wrong about than with Rinne's resurgance. I hope the coaches manage his starts well and that he continues to play well the rest of the way.

wpgpreds

May 10, 2011
Yep - there is nothing more I like being wrong about than with Rinne's resurgance. I hope the coaches manage his starts well and that he continues to play well the rest of the way.

I hope so too! Especially with Saros backing up. I think we can confidently start him against anyone

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Couldn't agree more with you. As all you know I have been maybe the most critical about Rinne. Hope he can finish his contract strong.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Here are two stats from that article that stand out. I think 303 has posted these before in the Observations thread.

Through the season's first 22 games, the Preds have outscored opponents by a whopping 31-16 margin during the game's second 20 minutes.

It's hard to pinpoint an exact reason why Nashville has been so good in the second period this season, but something is certainly going right, as the Preds have scored almost half their season total of goals (31 of 65) during the second stanza.

That's quite a difference from the team's dull second periods of the past where we just hoped we could make it out of the period without giving up a goal.

And then the home stat:
What may be the most impressive home stat is one of the simplest - the Predators have outscored opponents by a whopping 35-13 in the 10 contests at Bridgestone Arena.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I had an eerily realistic dream last night that Rinne left a road game with a leg injury. I remember him gingerly skating off the ice and Saros coming in to replace him.

Related: I don't believe in jinxes so, you're welcome.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I had an eerily realistic dream last night that Rinne left a road game with a leg injury. I remember him gingerly skating off the ice and Saros coming in to replace him.

Related: I don't believe in jinxes so, you're welcome.

At least in your dream it was Saros skating in to replace him...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
In the past, Milwaukee has had 3 or 4 Finns and the same number of Swedes on the roster. They room together by country here, so I am not surprised by the story.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
so has Peks actually played a respectable game since this was published?

He's also had his team fail him multiple times every game since. Every failure seems to end up in the back of the net. This seems to correspond with Ellis going down.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Send back Gaudreau! The Ads need his face off ability and offense. Milwaukee played one period of offense last night. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense, hence the 5-2 loss to a team that Milwaukee beat all three times before that game.

The good news is that Jonas Gunnarsson played well in goal or Chicago would have scored 10 goals.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/five-things-preds-at-the-first-quarter-mark/c-2842

Well who would have thought that during the summer almost every Preds fan thought that Rinne was finished and was our weakest link? I get the season is early, but I feel it's time to call him Pekka Rebirth. Last year was just a major off year for him, so I'm glad he's rebounded. I'd currently put him only behind Price, Dubnyk, and Rask for the best goalie of the season.

First, I think you are overstating what Predators fans thought about Rinne. I for one never said he was finished, but I thought and still think his elite days are over. He will still have some great stretches but not a whole season, just like he has cooled off as now. I think he will have ups and downs.

Last year was an off year, but it has been a trend for a few years before that. I know it will be hard, but they have to find some way to reduce his time so he can come back fresh for the playoffs and flash his old form like last year.

Dubnyk....kind of funny how he's all world now after his disaster here. You would have thought one glance from Korn and all would have been magically perfect as the myth goes.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Gaudreau came back (with Pardy and Boucher). The Ads were leading 3-1 after two periods and ended up winning 5-4 in a wild third period.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Yeah, if you expect them to eliminate every scoring chances, you would be right.

Rinne can't find the puck right now and should be benched

I don't think Rinne is awful, he is about what I thought. For flashes he is the old Pekka, sometimes not. That is why I say he is no longer elite.

It's not all on him but he deserves his share of blame, too.

I would have thought by now the defense would have gelled a bit more with Subban.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
to be honest, rinne had about three goals against him saved last night by forsberg, josi, and ellis, when there was an open net and they made great blocks or his game would have looked much, much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad