Peirson, Pentti and Par

aguineapig

Watching Par Lindholm this season I have seemingly had a sense of Deja Vu all over again as Yogi would say. Could not pin it down but looking at some old photos the other day there it was. I came across a picture of Matti Hagman. He and Par could of been brothers. Maybe its the Nordic thing as Par is a Swede, Matti a Finn.
Matti was drafted in 1975 and came over to the Bruins in 1976 after a strong showing in the Canada Cup. He was the first Finnish born and Finnish trained player to play in the NHL. But he was not the first Finn as Johnny would point out several times. The first was Pentti Lund who Johnny played with in the early fifties. Pentti moved to Canada with his family at six years old. He signed with the B's and played a couple of seasons with the Boston Olympics before he was traded to the Rangers. He went on to win the Calder as rookie of the year with a gaudy 14 goals and thirty points. Got traded back to the B's in 1951 but after a few games almost lost an eye to a high stick. He played the next year with one eye netting 17 pts for the B's but that was the end of his NHL career.
Johnny wove many stories of the like through his years with Fred. I learned of the legends such as Art Ross, Dit Clapper, the Krauts, Hap Emms, King Clancy, Punch Imlach, the Gondola at Maple Leaf Gardens and so much more, all through the eyes and voice of Johnny Peirson. He was a teacher, Pierson's Pointers for all you youngsters out there work on the release of your wrist shot, an Historian, and an unrivaled story teller.
Before Google and Wikipedia we had our own Bruins and NHL encyclopedia. Johnny Peirson. Thanks for the history. The games have stopped for now. The memories will have to do.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was an advert for some Nordic ambulance chasers.

Great memories, Matti Hagman was a heck of a player - unfortunately under utilized in his stint here in Boston. Solid playmaker and could put the biscuit in the basket.

As always, you weave a wonderful story

Last edited:

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Ah, memories! I loved Johnny! I remember Matti- talk about a blast from the past. Seems like yesterday sometimes, when you hear names of players from childhood years, doesn't it? May Matti rest in peace.

Reactions: BMC

aguineapig

Looks like @Fenway has some competition in the memories department ;)
Not even close I'm afraid. Fenway has lived the game, breathed it, touched it with his skin. DKH and others here too. I've just watched from the same rocking chair I write this from. But to me it seems just as real, probably same as you.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If I could make one recommendation to you for your excellent 1st post in the thread. Add Johnnys last name (Pierson) to his first name in the beginning of the post. Being an old-timer like you I knew who you were referring to but wasn't sure about it until I read down deeper into the article.
Like you, I remember Matti Hagman and was a fan but Don Cherry treated him as he would a "chicken Swede." With no respect for his talent. So he played him mostly on 3rd and 4th lines and only a few minutes a game with those grinders aka the "lunch pail gang."
The other thing that I found funny was that I was watching the game (last night) that was put on here against Toronto in 2009 and noticed a "Hagman" and was wondering if it was Matti. Of course it wasn't, it was his son Niklas.

Last edited:

aguineapig

Watching Par Lindholm this season I have seemingly had a sense of Deja Vu all over again as Yogi would say. Could not pin it down but looking at some old photos the other day there it was. I came across a picture of Matti Hagman. He and Par could of been brothers. Maybe its the Nordic thing as Par is a Swede, Matti a Finn.
Matti was drafted in 1975 and came over to the Bruins in 1976 after a strong showing in the Canada Cup. He was the first Finnish born and Finnish trained player to play in the NHL. But he was not the first Finn as Johnny would point out several times. The first was Pentti Lund who Johnny played with in the early fifties. Pentti moved to Canada with his family at six years old. He signed with the B's and played a couple of seasons with the Boston Olympics before he was traded to the Rangers. He went on to win the Calder as rookie of the year with a gaudy 14 goals and thirty points. Got traded back to the B's in 1951 but after a few games almost lost an eye to a high stick. He played the next year with one eye netting 17 pts for the B's but that was the end of his NHL career.
Johnny wove many stories of the like through his years with Fred. I learned of the legends such as Art Ross, Dit Clapper, the Krauts, Hap Emms, King Clancy, Punch Imlach, the Gondola at Maple Leaf Gardens and so much more, all through the eyes and voice of Johnny Peirson. He was a teacher, Pierson's Pointers for all you youngsters out there work on the release of your wrist shot, an Historian, and an unrivaled story teller.
Before Google and Wikipedia we had our own Bruins and NHL encyclopedia. Johnny Peirson. Thanks for the history. The games have stopped for now. The memories will have to do.

This was the video I had watched that prompted my post. But at the time I did not know how to link it. But some of you showed me how in the music thread. Anyhow Johnny Peirson is featured a minute or so in, quite dapper in his golf outfit. And Pentti is about at eight minutes, imagine that for your summer job! Thanks again all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad