Pegula Power

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's just so huge having this guy as an owner. I know he's prone to act like a billionaire and that can lead to bad decisions under a cap (see Ville Leino) but the competitive advantages are huge.

Beyond just his persuasiveness as a billionaire owner, he lets his money do his talking too. The Kyle Okposo deal only happens because it's front ended loaded with bonuses. We are not in the discussion unless we structure the deal this way.

It's a hell of a deal. He'll be easy to trade, unless he's complete garbage, in year six or seven. And he could be used to restock the shelves.

There are still holes in the CBA that can be exploited by the CBA. I hope Pegula is around forever.

I sometimes wonder what happens in Briere/Drury/Campbell era with this guy. They all get locked up for around five years @ $5 million per season and we let Vanek walk to Edmonton for four firsts. I know don't torture myself but that's likely what happens. We have no crap years in between and we're likely a powerhouse with maybe another chance at a cup.

The competitive advantage of Terry Pegula cannot be underestimated.

Every Sabres fan who wonders why us sometimes should realize this guy is the ultimate gift for a small market team.

Last edited:

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Not to mention what he's done to secure the future of the Bills in Buffalo and kick-start the revival of the Waterfront. Buffalo is truly lucky to have him above and beyond what he's done for the Sabres.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not to mention what he's done to secure the future of the Bills in Buffalo and kick-start the revival of the Waterfront. Buffalo is truly lucky to have him above and beyond what he's done for the Sabres.

No argument there. I'm a season ticket holder who lives in Toronto but I really appreciate the vibe in Buffalo. I hate Leafs and love my city but Buffalo has a more down-to-earth atmosphere. Everybody isn't as angry and stressed in Buffalo.

To see what is happening in downtown Buffalo is beautiful. Pegula is obviously a big factor. Get a new stadium downtown and I might even go to a Bills game.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Honestly has anyone had such a positive impact on a city in such a short period of time? He's a gift. I would do anything for that guy.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I still feel like it's a dream sometimes. A multi billionaire, who's been a Bills and Sabres fan for decades, appears out of the blue to buy the Sabres and eventually the Bills, telling us that we no longer have to worry about the teams being moved anywhere - they are in Buffalo to stay. He then goes on to profess "money is no longer an object" and "the Sabres/Bills sole purpose will be to win championships, and yes I said Championships (plural)".
If that wasn't enough, him and his wife also say that they bought the teams to help revive the city of Buffalo and then follow that statement up with some serious action(s).

The Pegula's are rock stars in the sports world (I believe those were Mike Babcock's words...). Everyone absolutely Raves about them! They really seem to treat their people well and that word must spread. I think I've heard just about every player the Bills/Sabes signed and person they've hired say something great about the Pegula's. Seems like they are a huge factor in attracting people to Buffalo.

Like I said, it seems like a dream. Too good to be true, but it is!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I still feel like it's a dream sometimes. A multi billionaire, who's been a Bills and Sabres fan for decades, appears out of the blue to buy the Sabres and eventually the Bills, telling us that we no longer have to worry about the teams being moved anywhere - they are in Buffalo to stay. He then goes on to profess "money is no longer an object" and "the Sabres/Bills sole purpose will be to win championships, and yes I said Championships (plural)".
If that wasn't enough, him and his wife also say that they bought the teams to help revive the city of Buffalo and then follow that statement up with some serious action(s).

The Pegula's are rock stars in the sports world (I believe those were Mike Babcock's words...). Everyone absolutely Raves about them! They really seem to treat their people well and that word must spread. I think I've heard just about every player the Bills/Sabes signed and person they've hired say something great about the Pegula's. Seems like they are a huge factor in attracting people to Buffalo.

Like I said, it seems like a dream. Too good to be true, but it is!

Let's see if he works his magic on Vesey, I say he does.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Why not the Bills?
Being Mr. Big Spender Moneybags doesn't work so well in the NFL. Free agency rarely yields big benefits, and in most cases damages the team more in the end. Dumping money at a big name and giving him all the power rarely works either, as we're seeing with Rex Ryan. Plus, unlike the NHL where Buffalo is at least a decent destination, there's nothing Pegula can do to make Buffalo a place where NFL players want to go to. The only way that's going to happen is winning a lot and/or getting a great QB here.

Mellifleur

Aug 4, 2005
Buffalo, New York
Being Mr. Big Spender Moneybags doesn't work so well in the NFL. Free agency rarely yields big benefits, and in most cases damages the team more in the end. Dumping money at a big name and giving him all the power rarely works either, as we're seeing with Rex Ryan. Plus, unlike the NHL where Buffalo is at least a decent destination, there's nothing Pegula can do to make Buffalo a place where NFL players want to go to. The only way that's going to happen is winning a lot and/or getting a great QB here.

Unless an owner is actively twisting the GMs arm the amount of stupid money thrown at free agents is on the GM. Just because an owner offers a lot of money doesn't mean the GM has to do so. Yes an owner will probably be in the GMs ear but a shrewd GM should be able to stand up to the owner an explain why it's not always a good idea.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

What big name free agent did Pegula throw money at for the Bills that has failed though? Harvin?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

There's nothing Pegula can do to make Buffalo a place where NFL players want to go?

I guess someone should have told that to Charles Clay, Richie Incognito and Marcel Dareus,Jerry Hughes and Cordy Glenn who signed extensions and could have left.

Did you even read what you typed before you hit submit reply? Your take is awful.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

You mean like the Broncos last year?

That team was almost entirely built on free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad