Peca seems to get it...A split in the ranks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Like I said neither side has thought very creativle.

The NHLPA should have put a more restrictive system in the table .. and the owners should have increased the percentage on the hard cap, and also not worried about all the other restrictions (arbitration, qualifying offers etc.) If they get the hard cap, the rest means little or nothing.

I'd like to see NHL change it's most recent offer and instead of $52M hard cap, it's gonna be 200% tax from that on. It's not a hard cap but it's restrictive.

Then NHLPA couldn't whine about hard cap.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pepper said:
I'd like to see NHL change it's most recent offer and instead of $52M hard cap, it's gonna be 200% tax from that on. It's not a hard cap but it's restrictive.

If it was a $52 million hard cap I think you'd see the players bite. Instead it's $40 million and likely to drop lower than that.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Honestly Peca is right, both sides are being stubborn. They drew their line in the sand years ago and really have moved much at all. Like i said before the best deal for the NHL is one both sides dont like. Until this my way or the highway both sides are playing we wont see hockey.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Pepper said:

Come on Pepper, creative thinking has no parts in this negations.

BTW i agree with you, a higher hard cap, tax the crap out of it (i say anything above 38.5 million) Ofcourse 38.5 million is the NHL linkage numbers they've been asking for.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
If it was a $52 million hard cap I think you'd see the players bite. Instead it's $40 million and likely to drop lower than that.

so what? 40 million is still pretty good - i guess these guys will have to settle for 900k instead of 1.4 million. boo hoo :cry:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
neelynugs said:
so what? 40 million is still pretty good - i guess these guys will have to settle for 900k instead of 1.4 million. boo hoo :cry:

If I thought for one second that lower players salaries meant my season ticket prices would drop I'd be all for it. That's not going to happen, at least not long term ... so why would I root for something that's just going to turn my franchise into a cash cow for Snider ... or for you Jacobs ???

On a side note, hypothetically if the cap ends up $30 million and $45 million .. how often do you think Jacobs will be spending $45 million ???

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's interesting his last comments.....

"The main concern amongst players ... is two years go by and then what?" Peca said. "Are we going to get a deal that we want in two years? That's debatable. I think both sides feel that for both sides to get the best deal, it's to get it done now, not the future."

Modano said much the same thing a few weeks ago in that from memory, the deal won't be better in fall & alot of players will break ranks... Peca's not saying they'll break ranks, but the "and then what"???

If Goodenow plays hardball and walks away today, I think he might have a mutiny on his hands!!!

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Interesting that Peca said that, because today I was listening to a Jim Dowd interview on the radio and when asked if he would accept a cap he said "I'm not going to say never, because never say never, with some tweaking this could get done."

Maybe the PA is feeding them new responses?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
If I thought for one second that lower players salaries meant my season ticket prices would drop I'd be all for it. That's not going to happen, at least not long term ... so why would I root for something that's just going to turn my franchise into a cash cow for Snider ... or for you Jacobs ???

Because then we can deal with that problem secondly. Under a hard cap system, people will have proof that the owners have an economically viable system in place, so much so that they don't need high ticket prices to support themselves. It becomes far easier to attack the owners on this point. However, all the owners need to say right now is "we need it to survive". It can be argued they don't, sure, but it's pretty easy to get people on your side when you're bleeding money every year.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
Because then we can deal with that problem secondly. Under a hard cap system, people will have proof that the owners have an economically viable system in place, so much so that they don't need high ticket prices to support themselves. It becomes far easier to attack the owners on this point. However, all the owners need to say right now is "we need it to survive". It can be argued they don't, sure, but it's pretty easy to get people on your side when you're bleeding money every year.

If you honestly believe that fan pressure will ever get owners to lower ticket prices, then the owners PR machine is working even better than I thought.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:

On a side note, hypothetically if the cap ends up $30 million and $45 million .. how often do you think Jacobs will be spending $45 million ???

JJ will spend 45 million- i don't doubt that. the problem would be a luxury tax, where he would not bust the cap and pay a tax

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Fan pressure? No. It'll take a lot, I agree, but some body of some kind will have the resources required to battle the NHL owners on ticket prices. Could the NHLPA look to rescue their credibility with the fans by coming after the owners on this point?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
Fan pressure? No. It'll take a lot, I agree, but some body of some kind will have the resources required to battle the NHL owners on ticket prices. Could the NHLPA look to rescue their credibility with the fans by coming after the owners on this point?

Who ??? ... Who will pressure the owners into dropping ticket prices ???

No the NHLPA wouldn't be able to do that, especially if they ever accept linkage, which would mean that of the owners lowered ticket prices it would hurt the players even more.

RaoulDuke

Aug 2, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
Could the NHLPA look to rescue their credibility with the fans by coming after the owners on this point?

Priceless. Not only should the PA make every concession to the owners, but they should take up crusades for hockey fans as well. And then maybe, just maybe, they will have "rescued their credibility".

Where's the mindless sheep emoticon?

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Peca might just need the money more than most players......This is a guy who in 2 of the last 5 seasons, hasn't received an NHL paycheck. His high-maintenance wife is prolly gettin a bit edgy......

:lol

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Benji Frank said:
It's interesting his last comments.....

"The main concern amongst players ... is two years go by and then what?" Peca said. "Are we going to get a deal that we want in two years? That's debatable. I think both sides feel that for both sides to get the best deal, it's to get it done now, not the future."

Modano said much the same thing a few weeks ago in that from memory, the deal won't be better in fall & alot of players will break ranks... Peca's not saying they'll break ranks, but the "and then what"???

If Goodenow plays hardball and walks away today, I think he might have a mutiny on his hands!!!

Great post! This is the what I've never understood from the PA point of view. The only way you win is if the owners cave in, and at least from what I see, that's A LONG, LONG way from happening. I'm sure there are 8-10 teams that would be perfectly happy working under the last NHLPA offer. However, for the pressure on Bettman doesn't really start until there's at least TWICE as many teams as that which are willing to play under the PA system, and I can't see any situation where that happens.

I just don't see the winning end game move from the PA point of view. It's a little bit like mutually assured destruction from the cold war. Either side can make sure the other sides loses, but neither is going to win by launching nukes. It's much the same with both sides holding onto their hard line stances.

Vic Rattlehead*

John Flyers Fan said:

Jacobs would spend every penny of the 45 million.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
I think both sides are guilty of that."

Peca is criticizing Bob Goodenow and Ted Saskin

No he is criticizing both sides... like he said. He may be the first player to say it like it is.

You cannot trust either side, so stop trying. Just get the best deal you both think will work and let's get going.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
If you honestly believe that fan pressure will ever get owners to lower ticket prices, then the owners PR machine is working even better than I thought.

You knnow John, Canucks tickets are $78 for really nice seats... and I will pay that. I have no problem, as the 40+ sellouts have shown.

Ticket prices have nothing to do with this. Escalating salaries, teams moving every year or threatening to move, teams like Chicago where the owner is bashed because he has a sane business plan and will not over spend...

That is what this is about. A viable 30 team league where the teams stay where they are and more importantly player salaries that stay at a decent level.

And let's not fool ourselves, player salaries will increase, because the market will demand it. But they will not all be playing in NY, Philly, Toronto or even Detroit. They will go elsewhere because teams like Minnesota will be forced to meet a spending cap.

it is win win for the players... they just don't see it.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
You knnow John, Canucks tickets are $78 for really nice seats... and I will pay that. I have no problem, as the 40+ sellouts have shown.

Ticket prices have nothing to do with this. Escalating salaries, teams moving every year or threatening to move, teams like Chicago where the owner is bashed because he has a sane business plan and will not over spend...

I know this isn't about ticket prices. My response was to one person, and he's not the only one out there that actually believe that owners will lower ticket prices.

Also if you think Wirtz has a solid business plan, I couldn't disagree more. IMO the Chicago Blackhawks are the worst run franchise in the NHL.

A team that was once had the best game atmosphere in the NHL, now has trouble filling the building. With the way the Bulls and Bears have been over the last 7-8 years the Blackhawks should OWN that town during the winter months.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Peca was due to make 4 mill ish this year , tack on 3 millish he could have made the year he missed with Buffalo .

sure wish I could let 7 mill go down the drain :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad