Kings Article: Pearson, Toffoli, & Vey Are Still Dealing w/The Sting Of Not Making LA Kings Roster

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Any successful organization you can expect your kids to play in the AHL for 2-3 full seasons before a call up. Voynov waited 3.5 seasons because of the Kings depth at D.

Pearson barely played one season because of injury, Toffoli played barely one because of call-up. Vey is the one who is going on his 3rd season...but again, that is because of the Kings depth at center.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
I didn't follow the preseason camp but why didnt TT make it? He obviously played well for us in the post season. Frattin is merely a shadow on the ice. At least TT contributed offensively. What's the deal?

Pearson and Vey will make it one day. Those two are very good but what about our defensive prospects? When will be see the emergence of Forby?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Any successful organization you can expect your kids to play in the AHL for 2-3 full seasons before a call up. Voynov waited 3.5 seasons because of the Kings depth at D.

Pearson barely played one season because of injury, Toffoli played barely one because of call-up. Vey is the one who is going on his 3rd season...but again, that is because of the Kings depth at center.

I know we don't usually agree Johnny, but on this I 100% agree with you. You aren't trying to make an expansion team or the 1990-1991 Quebec Nordiques. You are trying to crack the line up of one of the best teams the past two years (playoff results speaking). On top of that, you are trying to make a team that has been notoriously slow in developing their players (on purpose), like Voynov and Hickey. You got to expect they will develop you slowly as well. I thought Toffoli would make the roster, but I'm fine with him not as well. These kids not only have to play as good as other players, they have to eceed those other players because to make room for Toffoli, et al., they would have to waive/trade someone. You have to really grab that roster spot and be heads and shoulders ahead of who you are competing with.

Disappointment is fine though, it shows that you believe you have the talent and ability to make the pro roster, which is good. Just don't sulk. And if you do want to sulk, go do it to Andrew Campbell and Brandon Kozun. I'm sure they'll give you lots of sympathy.

HolyShot*

If Pearsons maturation goes well, I can definitely see him relacing someone in the top 6 who plays LW. I could TT making the top 6 as well. Frattin might be a 3rd liner but a damn good one at that. Imagine Frattin - vey - nolan as a 3rd line. Whoa. The future is bright with this team. Just gotta manage the cap and bring the youngsters up and we'll be fine. Dew it Deano.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I didn't follow the preseason camp but why didnt TT make it? He obviously played well for us in the post season. Frattin is merely a shadow on the ice. At least TT contributed offensively. What's the deal?

Pearson and Vey will make it one day. Those two are very good but what about our defensive prospects? When will be see the emergence of Forby?

Toffoli didn't have a particularly impressive preseason. They were trying to fill a need at the LW, but he didn't seem to do well in that role. We have enough RW on the first two lines. I think you could make an argument for Toffoli on the 3rd line, but the season is still young so we'll see.

I think they want to make sure Pearson/Vey/Toffoli get a lot of quality minutes this year. Forbort needs more seasoning before you will see him on the Kings roster. I believe they have him paired with Campbell so far in Manchester - they look pretty good together so far. Forbort is 1G + 1A in 4 games so far and a +3. Need to see him over the course of the entire season, but he has a lot of the attributes you look for in a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad