Peak Optimism?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Is right now possibly the most optimistic time ever to be a Wild fan? Or were you more optimistic another time?

Team play is at an all time high.

Dubnyk has been amazing this year (even if shaky last few games)

Blueline is deeper and more talented than ever.

Young core is finally stepping up.

We seem to have stumbled into a legit 1st line center.

Suter is playing 5 less minutes a game.

Vet core seems finally all be on the same page.

BB.

4 awesome prospects playing star roles in the WJC, including maybe the most dynamic forward since Gaborik.

Prospect depth to keep us going.

Healthy.

We can actually beat the Hawks and Blues and whoever else in the Central this year.

This is not a jinx threat. This is a personal opinion and reflection thread.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Funny thing, someone on the main board earlier today even said we've had a resurrection of the FBJ! :laugh:

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm pretty optimistic.

We need a better back up goalie or we need Kuemper to play better. Teams are going to run Dubnyk just to try to get to Kuemper. That is all the pessimism I can muster. I think that means things are pretty good.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I'd like to, but I can't. Because of hockey gods, jinxes and history of the mankind.

My thoughts inside my head have a straight connection how this team plays. So I must control them and all the feelings. Must remain calm and be very careful.. Everything can be destroyed in seconds.

:sarcasm:

Or is it? Better be safe than sorry.

I'm dead serious.

No I really am!

:sarc...

Last edited:

DC4MVP

Visit Our Site For Online Coaching/Film Breakdown!
Dec 23, 2016
Minnesota
www.dchockey.net
I'd like to, but I can't. Because of hockey gods, jinxes and history of the mankind.

I'm in your boat.

EVERY TIME I get excited about a sports team in this state....it goes south. See; 2016 Vikings.

I'm just trying to remain level headed by telling myself that there's still a half of season yet. Lot can go wrong....lot can go right.

I'll start getting excited in March....

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I was more optimistic during the 13-14 season. Then Harding had his MS issues... Harding (13) > Dub (this year) for the same stretch of games.

Wild were rolling until New Years but I thought they were a SCF team *the West was much better that year) until New Years.

Pommer: 30/30
Parise: 29/27 (67 games) 68p pace
Koivu: 11/43 (65 games) 68p pace
Granny: 8/33 (63 games) 53p pace
Spurgeon: 5/21 (67 games) 32p pace

This year's team I'm high on, they can be a SCF team. But I liked the healthy 13-14 team better.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
But he said it's not a jinx thread so, anti jinx thread?
Jinx thread I think is talking about the team and how awesome they are.

Where here am asking about your personal mental state compared to other times. Thats seperate.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Not in the least. This team is fully capable of losing 10 in a row and missing the dance altogether. He past few seasons have taught me to take nothing for granted. Talk to me in April.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
7/10 root beer floats.

Had similar confidence level a few seasons ago when the Wild were 1st in the division. I can see lots of possible things that could dismantle & sink our season, however.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But he said it's not a jinx thread so, anti jinx thread?

No, it doesn't work that way. When there is a shutout or no hitter happening, you don't talk about it.

Clearly, NSF is to be blamed of this season goes south. :nod:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was more optimistic during the 13-14 season. Then Harding had his MS issues... Harding (13) > Dub (this year) for the same stretch of games.

Wild were rolling until New Years but I thought they were a SCF team *the West was much better that year) until New Years.

Pommer: 30/30
Parise: 29/27 (67 games) 68p pace
Koivu: 11/43 (65 games) 68p pace
Granny: 8/33 (63 games) 53p pace
Spurgeon: 5/21 (67 games) 32p pace

This year's team I'm high on, they can be a SCF team. But I liked the healthy 13-14 team better.

I like this post. Strong anti jinx mojo here, that is also factual.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Parise and Suter 4th of July it was pretty high, but yeah this is about right up there. Especially considering how well our prospects seem to be doing.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
2007-2008 was the peak of optimism for me.

We won the NW Division (the only banner in the Xcel still)
We were riding high with 2 very good scoring lines and a 4th line that was suffocating
Goaltending was incredible that year coming off the only award a Wild player(s) have won in the Jennings Trophy from 2006-2007 season
Koivu was in his prime
Gaborik was mildly healthy

I hold onto hope that this team can achieve greatness and the future teams kick ass. I just have to see it to believe it now. There were a lot of dark years that this team has betrayed my trust.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I'm not a believer in jinxing anything sports related when I have no real impact on what happens. Therefore, yeah this is probably peak optimism for me. With how well we're playing, constantly coming back to win games on the road too, and our prospect list looking very promising, I'm flying high. Boudreau is looking like he's revived our PP and Staal has been a gem. If Parise can play more like he did against SJ the rest of the way, then we're looking very good for a deep run into June.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
For me it was 06-07, right up until I saw that we'd drawn the Ducks in the playoffs. I remember being afraid of that team (and the west coast, where Gabby goes to sustain groin injuries) but I also remember everyone being so happy that we'd drawn the "weak" Ducks... then the Ducks won the cup. That was the last time I truly believed we had a team that, if the goalie got hot, we could win it all. This year so far is darned close to that level for me.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i've seen this team meltdown several times so i just dont want to get too excited about a "possible" playoff run. miracles can happen especially with a hot goalie. can dubnyk stand on his head for an entire season? we'll see. positive is we are a well balanced team. i do hope cbj stays up top so our team isnt the team everyones gunning for! im more amped for prospect kaprizov than i am for this years wild!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I've been a Minnesota sports fan for far too long to allow myself to get overly optimistic about any of our teams. I've been conditioned to always be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm happy they are playing well, but optimistic? Not yet.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm happy with the depth of scoring....remember the days where we were looking for "secondary scoring"? I still wish we had a pure goal-scorer, though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The scoring surprises me the most. Two Wild players on page 1 of the points leaders? Incredible.

Hm. I'm about to leave for work, so I can't look now, but is this the first time that's happened? Only other teams I can remember that maybe had enough scoring were with Gaborik, Demitra and Rolston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad