Votes: 259 50.4%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 60 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I would give the edge in pure offensive skill to Fedorov and the 200ft game and physical presence to Foppa. I think it's a coin toss who had a better peak though. Very tough to call.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Is that a fancy way to avoid using the term peak?

There’s a difference between ability and results. Just because everything went right one year for a player within a season doesn’t mean it’s a repeatable performance, and even if it is, being contained within one season doesn’t make it a higher level of play than if it’s spread out in other years. Crosby for example has an extremely high peak, but his individual complete seasons aren’t as good as some others who were worse players. Forsberg’s performance when on the ice in ‘03 and ‘04 was arguably as good or better than Fedorov in ‘94, even if he didn’t put together a complete 82 games. It’s really close though

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There’s a difference between ability and results. Just because everything went right one year for a player within a season doesn’t mean it’s a repeatable performance, and even if it is, being contained within one season doesn’t make it a higher level of play than if it’s spread out in other years. Crosby for example has an extremely high peak, but his individual complete seasons aren’t as good as some others who were worse players. Forsberg’s performance when on the ice in ‘03 and ‘04 was arguably as good or better than Fedorov in ‘94, even if he didn’t put together a complete 82 games. It’s really close though
There isn't a center in the world I take over 93-96 Fedorov. What he brought in terms of a complete game, offense, defense, even physical, is unmatched. There isn't a matchup out there that if he didn't dominate outright I wouldn't trust him to at the very least neutralize.

Fedorov is one of those truly rare players that could legitimately do anything needed. Pass, score, defend, check, faceoffs, whatever. And for a meme stat, pretty sure he's still the only NHLer to win two different individual skill events (fastest skater and hardest shot) at the Skills competition.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is that a fancy way to avoid using the term peak?

I think it depends on what one views as a peak. Is it the best season? Best stretch of 40 games? Best 3 seasons? Best 20 game stretch?

IMO, a peak has to be more than just 1 season because it has to be able to cover for any sort of fluke year where everything goes right. Look at a guy like Bernie Nicholls in 1988-89.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
There isn't a center in the world I take over 93-96 Fedorov. What he brought in terms of a complete game, offense, defense, even physical, is unmatched. There isn't a matchup out there that if he didn't dominate outright I wouldn't trust him to at the very least neutralize.

Fedorov is one of those truly rare players that could legitimately do anything needed. Pass, score, defend, check, faceoffs, whatever. And for a meme stat, pretty sure he's still the only NHLer to win two different individual skill events (fastest skater and hardest shot) at the Skills competition.
That's just overrating him. Peak McDavid and peak Crosby are very easily above Fedorov.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This is super close, in a vacuum probably Fedorov in terms of ability but the physicality of Forsberg takes it for me personally.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Fedorov.. at their peaks he gives up some physicality to Forsberg but is way better defensively, a significantly better goal scorer, and a playoff stud so Forsberg doesn't gain anything there, either.

Plus Fedorov plays most of the games.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Peak definitively goes to Fedorov. He was much better defensively than Forsberg and a better goal scorer to boot.

I agree that Federov was better defensively, but Forsberg was a runner up for the Selke in 96-97, so "much better" might be a stretch.

From 94-2004 (Forsberg's "prime"), he took 1444 shots over 580 games, and scored 216 goals (15% shooting rate).

From 1990-2004 (Federov's "prime" in Detroit), he took 3416 shots over 988 games and scored 431 goals (12.6% shooting rate). Even if I only look at Federov's best ~600 game stretch (604 games from 1990-1999), he took 2080 shots (more than 600 more than Forsberg over a similar number of games), but he only shot 13.2%.

Does taking an extra shot per game really make Fedorov a "better" goal scorer, or just more prolific?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad