Post-Game Talk: PDSF: Spring cleaning day. Sharks VS Kings. Game #4. 7:30PM II

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
So, the guy (brown) who got in several of the King's heads including Quick should be replaced by Man Bear Pig? The guy who (as stated) shoots from every angle regardless of his chances of scoring and often causes a transitions? I don't get that at all.

I don't care that he's been clutch in some playoff games. I don't care that he is actually pretty damn nimble and fast to the puck. The guy brings possession numbers waaaay down (remember when he was with Couture? yeah, Logan rarely touched the puck).

no no no, I'm not a fan of this. I don't even want havlat in there. I'm all about moving Wingles down to the 4th and bringing Torres up as he's much stronger on the puck than Wingles is and can F1 like a machine, which is perfect for Pavs to setup.

but hey, thats just me.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Kennedy also missised wide a ton causing the puck to rim all the way around and out of the zone. Drives me absolutely crazy when he does that and it almost always starts a rush the other way. He's also a train wreck defensively.

I wouldn't let Kennedy anywhere near the Kings unless I absolutely had to.

I can see the merits of Kennedy. If TMac does put him in, then maybe this lineup:

Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Hertl - Jumbo - Burns
Torres - Pavs - Wingels
Sheppard - Desi - Kennedy

If Torres is ready for more minutes, that lineup can play fast.

I agree upon and love this set up, only item is I do not anticipate any lineup changes such as Kennedy for Brown, not at this point. If any change is made, I believe it should be for Havlat. We have enough 'muscle' to carry us along. Can never have enough depth in scoring and they have Gaborik, we have Havlat / good trade off. Or more so, bring in Irwin for Stuart. This I can see Todd doing.

We need a big bounce back game at home tomorrow as ,,,,,,,

If Niemi doesn't let in some softies and the Sharks capitalize on their chances they win that game.

That being said, this series could be 2-2 not 3-1 if LA had capitalized on their chances in game 2.

Sharks need to end this in game 5 or else it will be coming back for game 7 where anything can happen.

,,,,,,, this clearly sums it up well.

Added; Niemi has to have a great game tomorrow. If we go down two early one's, as in game 2, He should be subbed as all it will do is fuel the kings momentum and confidence.

Last edited:

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
He doesn't really miss the net more then others and a big complaint about Kennedy is his slot selection, he'll have a guy open in the middle or on the point and he'll just shoot it from a bad angle. I actually think those kinds of shots could be a benefit with the way Quick is playing.

Kennedy and Desi also worked fairly well together when it comes to puck possession and I don't think he's nearly the liability defensively that some make him out to be.

I don't really know why I'm even advocating this though because it's unlikely he'll come into the lineup.

that is a pretty legit complaint. he never gets a look, he just shoots. I can hear him oinking and snorting as he just can't wait to get that puck off his stick. If the guy had some more hockey sense he could be a very, very good hockey player. He's hella fast, agile, and has a great release...but he just has a very low hockey IQ.

I'll also add that having Brown in the lineup takes the pressure off Torres to be the animal he can be, which could lead to another suspension. I'd rather use Torres for his checking ability than sitting in the press box.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
SanJoseSharks 12:59pm via TweetDeck

Players With At Least One Playoff Goal:
SJS-12
MTL-10
PIT-10
CBJ-9
DAL-9
CHI-9
LAK-9
BOS-9
NYR-8
STL-8
ANA-8
TBL-8
MIN-7
PHI-6
COL-5
DET-3

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He doesn't really miss the net more then others and a big complaint about Kennedy is his slot selection, he'll have a guy open in the middle or on the point and he'll just shoot it from a bad angle. I actually think those kinds of shots could be a benefit with the way Quick is playing.

Kennedy and Desi also worked fairly well together when it comes to puck possession and I don't think he's nearly the liability defensively that some make him out to be.

I don't really know why I'm even advocating this though because it's unlikely he'll come into the lineup.

Yep, I agree with all of this. That's what I specifically mentioned that Kennedy's weakness might turn into a strength against Quick right now.

Pretty dumb to have Mike Brown playing 5 minutes if you ask me.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Yep, I agree with all of this. That's what I specifically mentioned that Kennedy's weakness might turn into a strength against Quick right now.

Pretty dumb to have Mike Brown playing 5 minutes if you ask me.
You could tell when TK was trying to stay in the lineup that he was pushing to the middle to take his shots. He would tail off on doing it and get benched. I do think the coaches want that middle push. The Sharks are all about shoot and recover or get the rebound. Off angle shots don't help. IMO, they would rather have the off angle shots going for the feet of the goalie. Effectively, don't try to pick corners when shooting from a bad angle.

I agree that Brown is not really contributing hockeywise. I also think that in LA Sutter is trying to do everything he can to sneak Kopitar on against Desi. That means that Desi needs another forward helping defensively. TM is mixing forwards a lot to cover defensively and not really rolling 4 lines in LA.

The one thing I have also noted is that Torres is not as fast as he was before the knee surgery. I hope it is only recovery time that is needed.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
You could tell when TK was trying to stay in the lineup that he was pushing to the middle to take his shots. He would tail off on doing it and get benched. I do think the coaches want that middle push. The Sharks are all about shoot and recover or get the rebound. Off angle shots don't help. IMO, they would rather have the off angle shots going for the feet of the goalie. Effectively, don't try to pick corners when shooting from a bad angle.

I agree that Brown is not really contributing hockeywise. I also think that in LA Sutter is trying to do everything he can to sneak Kopitar on against Desi. That means that Desi needs another forward helping defensively. TM is mixing forwards a lot to cover defensively and not really rolling 4 lines in LA.

The one thing I have also noted is that Torres is not as fast as he was before the knee surgery. I hope it is only recovery time that is needed.

Torres has been avoiding trying to get the puck and going for hits. I've seen him accelerate really well a few times. But you could be right that the knee is hindering him a bit.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Torres has been avoiding trying to get the puck and going for hits. I've seen him accelerate really well a few times. But you could be right that the knee is hindering him a bit.

Definetly hasn't been as effective. It would be nice to finish them out on Saturday and get him some rest. But if it's game continues to dwindle wouldn't mind dropping wingels to 4th and putting havlat in. Get him some rest. And the sharks a different look up front

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Not me. I hope SJ wins a squeaker on a controversial penalty.

Na don't need baggage with refs going into the next series.

I want Brown to own goal it. Or have Quick come out to challenge and play it into his own net.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Na don't need baggage with refs going into the next series.

I want Brown to own goal it. Or have Quick come out to challenge and play it into his own net.

cropped_Quick-puck-handling-error.gif

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

There are adhesions after surgery. It frequently hurts a lot when you are popping them loose. For all I know, it could be happening with Hertl and Havlat too. I won't really judge the skating on any of them until next season. From my experience, it is six months to a year for adhesions to go away.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
There are adhesions after surgery. It frequently hurts a lot when you are popping them loose. For all I know, it could be happening with Hertl and Havlat too. I won't really judge the skating on any of them until next season. From my experience, it is six months to a year for adhesions to go away.

There was also a noticeable drop in team speed from game 1-4 that may be affecting our judgement. Pavs looked tired in particular, brown barely played but wasn't quite as fast as normal. Hertl looks the same to me.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
There was also a noticeable drop in team speed from game 1-4 that may be affecting our judgement. Pavs looked tired in particular, brown barely played but wasn't quite as fast as normal. Hertl looks the same to me.

Sutter was getting matchups and TM was shortening the bench. The Sharks benefit from a long bench when they want to play fast. The Kings are also going after Braun like nobody's business. He is a key to playing fast. IMO, TM made a mistake not using Pavs on third line to beat the matchup issue in game 4. The Sutter matchup thing negates Desi.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sutter was getting matchups and TM was shortening the bench. The Sharks benefit from a long bench when they want to play fast. The Kings are also going after Braun like nobody's business. He is a key to playing fast. IMO, TM made a mistake not using Pavs on third line to beat the matchup issue in game 4. The Sutter matchup thing negates Desi.

It's kind of scary because sometimes it legitimately looks like they're trying to injure Braun.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
It's kind of scary because sometimes it legitimately looks like they're trying to injure Braun.
Yup. He is usually really good at just barely slipping hits. The Kings have managed to get him in the last two games. It's hard to hit him clean but they are managing.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

Game one, first period, even though he was banging bodies there was a specific point where you could see he was in pain and laboring in his stride. He's def not 100% and it is effecting him.

I suspect that is why they had him on the 4th line and tended to keep him there - he wasn't/isn't truly ready for 3rd line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad