GDT: PDSF Game 5 - 04.25.14 - at Anaheim - 9:30 PM - FS Southwest/NBCSN - 1310 AM/96.7 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkennedy*

I'm actually on the bandwagon that that should make Garbutt a scratch for the rest of the series. You can't throw your team under the bus like that and it's obvious he can't handle playoff hockey.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'm actually on the bandwagon that that should make Garbutt a scratch for the rest of the series. You can't throw your team under the bus like that and it's obvious he can't handle playoff hockey.

Scratch Whitney, Gonchar AND Garbutt?

I'd like to say that would be okay... but if you scratch Garbutt, should Matt Cooke have been a scratch for the Pens? Should Lucic have been sat for the Bs? Should Andrew Shaw have been sat for the Hawks?

No, I don't think sitting an otherwise effective player is the right call. You get back on his case and keep him engaged on not being a complete dick on the ice.

I'm more concerned about Whitney and Gonchar playing when they constantly blow chances and turn pucks over and fail to keep up with the pace of play.

But this is something we're seeing because our team's effective depth is paltry compared to other teams.

Bkennedy*

Scratch Whitney, Gonchar AND Garbutt?

I'd like to say that would be okay... but if you scratch Garbutt, should Matt Cooke have been a scratch for the Pens? Should Lucic have been sat for the Bs? Should Andrew Shaw have been sat for the Hawks?

No, I don't think sitting an otherwise effective player is the right call. You get back on his case and keep him engaged on not being a complete dick on the ice.

I'm more concerned about Whitney and Gonchar playing when they constantly blow chances and turn pucks over and fail to keep up with the pace of play.

But this is something we're seeing because our team's effective depth is paltry compared to other teams.

I'm probably just angry at him for throwing his team under the bus. Fine, I do agree it's better to have him play now over whitney/gonchar. Do the next best thing then and ensure he's not on the team next year. He just does the dumbest things.

Don't forget he (kinda) cost us game 1, too. We have no room for his garbage. And he's not trying to change.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I don't think we need to scratch Garbutt. His lesson was most certainly learned last night.

Seriously, you're advocating kicking him off the team because of a lapse of judgement? That's just silly.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
lol at the thought of even thinking about scratching Garbutt

We need everybody to play like they have throughout the season, Garbutt while sometimes costing the team is a important cog to Dallas Stars hockey. He speed, ability to score, and agitate are important. That is what we've been doing all season long, do not stop doing what got you here with the season on the line.

Bkennedy*

I don't think we need to scratch Garbutt. His lesson was most certainly learned last night.

Seriously, you're advocating kicking him off the team because of a lapse of judgement? That's just silly.

We're forgetting the absolutely stupid unsportsmanlike he took in game 1 which led to the GWG. He can't handle the pressure. He can score and perform under it apparently, but he just can't keep his cool.

Not that we necessarily get rid of him. Just pound it into his stupid little head that he's on the last straw.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That wasn't a lapse in judgement, that is his judgement.

I agree with this. He's really made some awful decisions over the past 2 seasons. Ruff had him and Roussel trained for the better part of this season, but for some reason they've been reverted to their old programming.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Roussel and Garbutt. It's funny we all sung praises for them before this game, but now when one of them stepped over the line they are idiots.

Calm down people. They are two great 3rd liners who had one game where they didn't do their job so well, Garbutt is really clutch and Roussel is a great hockey player don't forget that. Though I'm a little worried about Garbutt, he seems not to have the best decision making.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I agree with this. He's really made some awful decisions over the past 2 seasons. Ruff had him and Roussel trained for the better part of this season, but for some reason they've been reverted to their old programming.

It's the playoffs and they feel they need to up their game. This is them upping it. It's just hurting us ridiculously bad when the refs call a tight game.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Garbutt really hurt the team last night but if they actually have designs on winning the series he can't be made an example of by scratching. He should have been scratched a few times during the season to teach him the lesson but in all honesty, he might not be able to control himself. Some guys are just idiots when it comes to stuff like this.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Garbutt really hurt the team last night but if they actually have designs on winning the series he can't be made an example of by scratching. He should have been scratched a few times during the season to teach him the lesson but in all honesty, he might not be able to control himself. Some guys are just idiots when it comes to stuff like this.

Exactly. Who is going to replace him that also brings what he offers when he's not being a bonehead?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Roussel hasn't really done anything though. He's been getting called mostly on reputation.

Yeah, I don't really see Roussel being a problem. Garbutt is the one who does more of the stupid cheap stuff and he is so obvious about it he gets nailed. If you're going to spear a guy in the balls don't do it in front of the benches, jeez.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's the playoffs and they feel they need to up their game. This is them upping it. It's just hurting us ridiculously bad when the refs call a tight game.

Just my opinion, but I think Garbutt may never really "get it" when it comes to playing on the line. He seems to be a guy who survives on raw talents and emotion and he goes full bore 100% of the time. He's like that kid in 2nd grade who is later diagnosed with ADHD and everyone knows why it was so hard to get him to stop eating dirt during recess.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

We all knew the game was going to be called tight right after Roussel's goalie interference penalty. It's Garbutt's and Roussel's jobs to adjust their games accordingly.

Primetimey*

Look what happened when Rous and Garbutt weren't in the game. 6-2.

Simple as that. Every other game was a win, or a one goal game. Take him out and we get demolished.

TheGuyFromThere

Jun 13, 2009
Ottawa
Garbutt gets a $1,474.36 fine. If they wanna come into our barn thinking about when they'll get a chance to fight Garbutt I'm cool with that. Especially if he can keep cool and draw a few penalties first. Big if, but still.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Don't scratch Garbutt, that'd be stupid. Let him play in game 6, it's the last game they're gonna be playing again until October.

On a side note, all of the pissing and moaning about playoff hockey from the Ducks fans has really just made me wish we had never made the playoffs in the first place. I know they've got a young fanbase, but did any of those kids ever watch hockey in the 90s? Jesus.

Bkennedy*

Look what happened when Rous and Garbutt weren't in the game. 6-2.

Simple as that. Every other game was a win, or a one goal game. Take him out and we get demolished.

Because they were in the box giving opponents a PP. They had their chance to stay in the game.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Don't scratch Garbutt, that'd be stupid. Let him play in game 6, it's the last game they're gonna be playing again until October.

On a side note, all of the pissing and moaning about playoff hockey from the Ducks fans has really just made me wish we had never made the playoffs in the first place. I know they've got a young fanbase, but did any of those kids ever watch hockey in the 90s? Jesus.

I question whether many of them were watching hockey in 2007.

CorwiN

Oct 23, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think that anyone who expects Garbutt to ever really learn is probably paying more attention to the amount of time he's been in the league and not enough attention to the man's age. I mean the guy is a month older than I am. If I made the kind of stupid mistakes that he does people would be confused as to how a man my age could make them.

And it's not just that he should be able to control himself better at his age. A bubble guy like him should understand how easily he could slip back off into the abyss, scrape a few years in the AHL/Europe, and be totally done. But he doesn't, and it reflects in his stupid play. And I'm not just talking about the Perry spear or even the Penner hit. I'm talking about the poorly timed penalties that he took throughout the season.

No, I'm not just throwing him under the bus. I've always felt this way. And I don't think that Roussel has done anything wrong, and even bringing him into this discussion is a bit crazy.

I've really liked the way that Ruff has coached the team this season, but I always thought that he mishandled Garbutt. A player who makes as many selfish, stupid decisions as Garbutt does shouldn't be rewarded with the occasional bump to the top line, or seeming immunity to being scratched or benched, no matter how stupid he has played.

This whole season it felt like Garbutt and Chiasson had a free pass that no one else on the team did, and I really don't like that. If it weren't for the fact that we're in an elimination situation I'd be railing for Garbs to be a healthy scratch. I can only hope that Ruff will be a bit tighter on the reins with him next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad