PDO nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
All you hear from people when talking about the rangers is PDO and i think its hilarious. Same exact people who called they would somehow be a bottom 5-10 team in the league and called for a blow up of a team. Now were 13-4 and everyone jumps on PDO, First off it goes without saying that the goal scoring will fall drastically because nobody scores at this rate, and when it does the PDO will balance but idk if people who say PDO havent watched the rangers but they create chances that other teams just do not create with the puck movement and speed that we generate, thus the PDO ridiculousness. The "highlight reel" goals are actually sustainable because they arent dangling defenders and getting puck bounces they are moving the puck and themselves around like an all star team. Obviously when its going good its going great and goalies start losing confidence and letting in squeakers (kevin hayes clap bomb on markstrom) but besides that 7 goals on 26 shots was hardly poor goal tending because the plays are just so efficient. It really wouldn't surprise me if they have one of the higher shooting percentages in recent times come season end because they are a pass first team with almost 3 and a half lines of talent and speed. You'll run into hot goalies here and there but in general its going to be hard to stop the onslaught of goals especially considering its coming from everywhere and the top end players havent even done core damage since first 6 games.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It doesn't take into account of shot quality (HD chances), which the Rangers are the best in the league at...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You don't understand PDO.

PDO isn't a projection, it's an objective reality. It's probably the most reliable stat in sports. Regression towards 100 is inevitable, it's something you can plan on. The sun rises and PDO regresses to the mean. This isn't something the advanced stats community is predicting. It WILL happen. That's hockey.

Some teams are "better" at it than others but there's a range. The Rangers are operating way above that range.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It doesn't take into account of shot quality (HD chances), which the Rangers are the best in the league at...

Rush teams like the Rangers tend to have more high-danger chances, and those chances have an intrinsically higher shot percentage.

Add into the mix that the Rangers have always gotten far better than league average goaltending, and it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that our PDO is going to be an outlier.

Now, for many other teams, its a predictor of whether or not you're getting lucky or unlucky, but opposing fans waiting on a NYR PDO crash are going to be disappointed.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
All you hear from people when talking about the rangers is PDO and i think its hilarious. Same exact people who called they would somehow be a bottom 5-10 team in the league and called for a blow up of a team. Now were 13-4 and everyone jumps on PDO, First off it goes without saying that the goal scoring will fall drastically because nobody scores at this rate, and when it does the PDO will balance but idk if people who say PDO havent watched the rangers but they create chances that other teams just do not create with the puck movement and speed that we generate, thus the PDO ridiculousness. The "highlight reel" goals are actually sustainable because they arent dangling defenders and getting puck bounces they are moving the puck and themselves around like an all star team. Obviously when its going good its going great and goalies start losing confidence and letting in squeakers (kevin hayes clap bomb on markstrom) but besides that 7 goals on 26 shots was hardly poor goal tending because the plays are just so efficient. It really wouldn't surprise me if they have one of the higher shooting percentages in recent times come season end because they are a pass first team with almost 3 and a half lines of talent and speed. You'll run into hot goalies here and there but in general its going to be hard to stop the onslaught of goals especially considering its coming from everywhere and the top end players havent even done core damage since first 6 games.
It seems like you agree with it then?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

PDO isn't a projection, it's an objective reality. It's probably the most reliable stat in sports. Regression towards 100 is inevitable, it's something you can plan on. The sun rises and PDO regresses to the mean. This isn't something the advanced stats community is predicting. It WILL happen. That's hockey.

Some teams are "better" at it than others but there's a range. The Rangers are operating way above that range.
When? I don't understand what you mean by this. The Rangers PDO has been well above 100 for 2 straight seasons before this year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It seems like you agree with it then?

201602_0305_cdega.jpg

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

You make it sound like it's statistically impossible to have a season outside this range. Is that true?

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

Well, you if you look at the past couple of years, the Rangers are consistently "better" at it. Not 106 good, obviously, but they'll most likely finish the year between 101.5 and 102.
Regression towards 100 is only inevitable if every team is equally average. What's inevitable is that teams with great goaltending and good shooters will finish above average and teams with bad goaltending and bad shooters will finish below average.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When? I don't understand what you mean by this. The Rangers PDO has been well above 100 for 2 straight seasons before this year.

The highest recorded PDO is 103.3 and that team had Ovechkin and Semin. It's coming down eventually. That's guaranteed.

You make it sound like it's statistically impossible to have a season outside this range. Is that true?

Yes. It's statistically impossible for a team to have a season at or around 106.

Well, you if you look at the past couple of years, the Rangers are consistently "better" at it. Not 106 good, obviously, but they'll most likely finish the year between 101.5 and 102.
Regression towards 100 is only inevitable if every team is equally average. What's inevitable is that teams with great goaltending and good shooters will finish above average and teams with bad goaltending and bad shooters will finish below average.

So they're going to go from 106 to 102. Ergo, regression towards 100.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I vote the regression starts soon, and then it rebounds like in the last two weeks of the season and continues throughout the playoffs.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

The biggest PDO for a team since 2008 is the 2009-2010 Washington Capitals with 103.3, by far the most purely talented hockey team since the lockout.

So, the Rangers can get outside that range if you truly believe they are one of the most talented teams the league has seen since the lockout, which I personally am not willing to say.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

a season is a small enough sample size to have an outlying number, but because teams change every season, 1 full season is the largest sample we will ever have.

someone said it in another thread the closer we get to infinity, the less likely it is to have an outlying PDO. 82 games (max 110) is not big enough sample size to guarantee PDO regresses to the mean.

Having a high PDO suggests that a team may have a higher probability of regressing, but in no way does it guarantee that they will.

for the record before I get blasted, no they will not keep their shooting percentage this high all year, the PDO will obviously go down, but to suggest that we will always be at 100 with the game we play, and the goalies we have is asinine

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yes PDO is a stupid "stat" and is also often misinterpreted to mean that every team must regress to exactly 100

Just enjoy the Rangers being fun and don't get so worked up in the stats if it makes it less fun

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
a season is a small enough sample size to have an outlying number, but because teams change every season, 1 full season is the largest sample we will ever have.

someone said it in another thread the closer we get to infinity, the less likely it is to have an outlying PDO. 82 games (max 110) is not big enough sample size to guarantee PDO regresses to the mean.

Having a high PDO suggests that a team may have a higher probability of regressing, but in no way does it guarantee that they will.

That's not true.

Having 82 games as opposed to infinity games means they won't all make it to 100.

82 games is more than enough for all of them to go towards 100.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wait, really? Is there something about the calculation that makes it impossible?

A 106 would mean a shooting percentage of 11, the highest ever recorded, and a save percentage of 95, the highest ever recorded.

If you want to believe the Rangers are breaking two NHL records this year, be my guest.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
A 106 would mean a shooting percentage of 11, the highest ever recorded, and a save percentage of 95, the highest ever recorded.

If you want to believe the Rangers are breaking two NHL records this year, be my guest.

So it's not impossible?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, it's just my opinion, but I'm sure most would agree that if this team plays 1000 games, they would still end up around 102. I'd call that a regression to 102.

There's not even a three year (246 games) window where anybody has hit 102. Not even close. The highest is 101.6.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I love "Paid Days Off"

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, nothing at all, other than it historically not happening.

If we finish the season with a .940 SV% and 12 SH%, that's a 106 PDO. It's just not very likely.

A shooting percentage of 12 would be the highest ever recorded by a percent a half.

Alex Ovechkin shoots 12%.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Kreider scoring 80 goals is not "impossible" either.

You literally said a few posts up its statistically impossible for a team to have a 106 PDO for a season. I'm just trying to understand the damn stat :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad