Waived: PDG Claimed by Nashville

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
PDG: waste of second round pick

TSN has done the math. A 2nd round pick in the 36 to 40 range (PDG was 38) has a:

35% chance of playing 100 NHL games
11.7% chance of being a top 6 forward, top 4 defense or #1 goalie
81.7% of being a 4th liner or minor leaguer

The average pick is a 2.93 on their scale with 2 being a good minor leaguer and 3 being a fringe NHL player (50 to 200 NHL games)

PDG as already played 150 games. There was a 65% chance he wouldn't get this far.

To say he's a waste of a 2nd round pick is overlooking how hard is it to become a full time regular NHL player

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
He had some solid aspects to his game. Pretty good hands, decent offensive instincts, and physical despite his size. I always thought he would have been a real solid player if he could slow down and hold on to pucks more often. wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a decent 3rd liner that gets 10-15 goals per year, but also wouldn't be surprised if he's playing in Europe in 2 years.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
TSN has done the math. A 2nd round pick in the 36 to 40 range (PDG was 38) has a:

35% chance of playing 100 NHL games
11.7% chance of being a top 6 forward, top 4 defense or #1 goalie
81.7% of being a 4th liner or minor leaguer

The average pick is a 2.93 on their scale with 2 being a good minor leaguer and 3 being a fringe NHL player (50 to 200 NHL games)

PDG as already played 150 games. There was a 65% chance he wouldn't get this far.

To say he's a waste of a 2nd round pick is overlooking how hard is it to become a full time regular NHL player
No he's a bum.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think the concussions really derailed him. I forget which it was (pretty sure he had 2 or 3), but when he came back, he had completely lost the physical aspect to his game and was very timid.
Yeah, I thought I noticed the same thing that first year he was playing well. Makes me very tentative to give Ferland a big contract term, if anything. If our team is still out of it near the deadline, I'd rather sell him for futures.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Yep, if you look at the NHL careers of players we could’ve drafted in his spot, the next forward drafted to have a better career than PDG to this point is... Brock McGinn.

Thank god we drafted him, too, and didn’t miss out.

On a more serious note I had expected much more from him this year. Very disappointing season for Brock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad