Player Discussion Pavol Regenda

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
My problem with Comtois is his work ethic.

I guess a new coach can help, but if someone needs that motivation to put in the effort, I’d rather part ways and move on.

John
Maybe Fantilli can smack some sense into him. I also don't want Comtois worth ethic rubbing off onto other players so I won't care if he gets non-qualified.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm thinking that Groulx might be given a chance at the 4C position, but I'd really like Grant to return.
Projected 2023-24 lineup
Rico - Zegras - Strome (?)​
Jones (?) - McTavish - Terry​
Vatrano - Lundy - Silf​
Nesterenko - Groulx (?) - McGinn​
Carrick, Leason​

That's 14 forwards that doesn't include Regenda. Sure, we might be able to waive Leason or McGinn, but Regenda will still have some competition with Nesterenko and Carrick for ice time.

If Regenda wins a top-9 spot, then I'd be fine with that. If not, then I don't want him with the NHL club. It might appear, at the moment, that Regenda will be in San Diego to start the season. He could become a mainstay with the NHL club around the TDL. I'd rather continue developing Regenda in San Diego, playing top-6 minutes than the meager minutes he'll have on the fourth line with the Ducks as a rotational player.

Adding another FA forward plug this summer will keep some talents out of the NHL club for this season. We still don't know if Fantilli will be with the NHL club this season either.

::: raising shoulders ::: I'd prefer if we stick to the reset rebuild program and use this season as a developmental season and see what develops. Of course there's an exception if a 22-25 year old, high-end talent forward becomes available, but I'd still want us to be in a rebuild season this year and next as our barometer to get better is based upon our blueline progress.

Your forward lines asssume the #2 draft pick doesn't make the rotation. I think its likely Fantilli/Carlsson make the team - certainly to start the season.

I have no use for Grant at this point. He's just a journeyman and the ducks have several of those on your list already (Carrick, Leason, and even arguably McGinn). Grant is just redundant and he doesn't bring grit - not much of a checker despite his size and certainly not a fighter or even a guy who will stand up for his teammates in a scrum. Its time for the ducks to give the younger guys a chance - Groulx, Nesterenko, Regenda, Tracey, Perrault and even De Leo who at least brings some skill.

If the ducks want to add another veteran, I'd rather bring in a guy who will add some sand paper and physicality. A guy like Hathaway could fit the bill. Beyond that, if you want a 4th line plug, they could trade for a cap dump with an asset attached or go after a guy like Federic who might have a future. All of those options are better than throwing $$ at Grant.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Your forward lines asssume the #2 draft pick doesn't make the rotation. I think its likely Fantilli/Carlsson make the team - certainly to start the season.

I have no use for Grant at this point. He's just a journeyman and the ducks have several of those on your list already (Carrick, Leason, and even arguably McGinn). Grant is just redundant and he doesn't bring grit - not much of a checker despite his size and certainly not a fighter or even a guy who will stand up for his teammates in a scrum. Its time for the ducks to give the younger guys a chance - Groulx, Nesterenko, Regenda, Tracey, Perrault and even De Leo who at least brings some skill.

If the ducks want to add another veteran, I'd rather bring in a guy who will add some sand paper and physicality. A guy like Hathaway could fit the bill. Beyond that, if you want a 4th line plug, they could trade for a cap dump with an asset attached or go after a guy like Federic who might have a future. All of those options are better than throwing $$ at Grant.

I'm on repeat a bit here, but I really think if the Ducks are rolling three young centers in the top 9, they have to go out and get a really dependable veteran 4C. Someone who can take on heavy PK duties and a lot of defensive heavy lifting, bonus points if they are strong in the faceoff circle. Shouldn't be an overly expensive expenditure, but one that could really help balance this lineup. Can only put so much of that responsibility on Lundy, and you want to put the offensive guys in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Heckyea

Jun 24, 2023
This team is gonna have massive turnover next Summer and commiting to a free agent Forward anytime soon is not helpful at all to the experimenting that Cronin needs to do. Groulx absolutely deserves C4 shifts and might actually stick in Cronin's system.

Grant has been great but the organization will probably draft his replacement next week.

Talking about the Draft and Regenda, I wonder what kind of intel he gave on this year's Slovak eligibles.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm on repeat a bit here, but I really think if the Ducks are rolling three young centers in the top 9, they have to go out and get a really dependable veteran 4C. Someone who can take on heavy PK duties and a lot of defensive heavy lifting, bonus points if they are strong in the faceoff circle. Shouldn't be an overly expensive expenditure, but one that could really help balance this lineup. Can only put so much of that responsibility on Lundy, and you want to put the offensive guys in a position to succeed.
Seems reasonable. Who do you have in mind? Because that doesn't sound like Grant to me.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I feel like we should start looking at bottom 6 guys who are more grittier to counteract the top 6 which doesn't play much of that style.

Grant, Silf and even sometimes Megna all have their uses but having all 3 is a bit of an issue for a team that routinely gets tossed around.

Heckyea

Jun 24, 2023
I feel like we should start looking at bottom 6 guys who are more grittier to counteract the top 6 which doesn't play much of that style.

Grant, Silf and even sometimes Megna all have their uses but having all 3 is a bit of an issue for a team that routinely gets tossed around.
if there's anybody who wants to sign a 1 year "show me" deal like Klinger last year then sure. But there should absolutely be no forwards committed to this offseason as the team needs to start the purge and boost up the value of any tradeable players already signed. Strome was a huge mistake (Rico part deux), no need for another one this year, especially for a bottom-6.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
if there's anybody who wants to sign a 1 year "show me" deal like Klinger last year then sure. But there should absolutely be no forwards committed to this offseason as the team needs to start the purge and boost up the value of any tradeable players already signed. Strome was a huge mistake (Rico part deux), no need for another one this year, especially for a bottom-6.
There's plenty of gritty players that won't cost you anywhere near what strome got.

I don't know who you see the ducks trading out of this forward group. Nobody's trading for Jones, Strome, Silf, Carrick , McGinn or Leason unless Verbeek has mob connections or gives them away. Henrique will play top 6 no matter what the ducks do this off season and his trade value will be whatever it's going to be. That's really the only forward that the ducks could move, the team is purged.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Four goals in three games.

Was just looking at Anaheim's lineup and surprised to see how many young players - particularly the drafted players - are already making their mark.

Could Regenda be part of that group or are there flaws in his game that limit his potential to that of an AHL scorer?

Reactions: Faterson

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Four goals in three games.

Was just looking at Anaheim's lineup and surprised to see how many young players - particularly the drafted players - are already making their mark.

Could Regenda be part of that group or are there flaws in his game that limit his potential to that of an AHL scorer?
Maybe not this year given the lineup. He's essentially going to be fighting for a bottom 6 role just by virtue of the top-6 being Zegras and Henrique.

I think Regenda could use some work on his game without the puck (and I kinda mean both offensively and defensively). He looked a bit lost at time last year, but that was under two historically awful Ducks and Gulls teams. As is the case with a lot of big guys, IQ will kinda be the determining factor.

Regenda will be back for another cup of coffee for sure, but there needs to be some more openings up front to take advantage.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Maybe not this year given the lineup. He's essentially going to be fighting for a bottom 6 role just by virtue of the top-6 being Zegras and Henrique.

I think Regenda could use some work on his game without the puck (and I kinda mean both offensively and defensively). He looked a bit lost at time last year, but that was under two historically awful Ducks and Gulls teams. As is the case with a lot of big guys, IQ will kinda be the determining factor.

Regenda will be back for another cup of coffee for sure, but there needs to be some more openings up front to take advantage.

This past year was also his first on the smaller NA ice, can be a big adjustment for some guys.

Regenda will get his chances at the NHL level. If he carves out a role in the next couple years, it will be because he makes himself more useful than someone like Jones, McGinn, Leason etc

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Who do u cup of coffee first. Regenda or nesterenko?
Probably Regz. Nester is going to have his spot and time, but I think Regz game makes him an easier call up to see what he can provide. For me, Nester is more of a long game prospect

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Probably Regz. Nester is going to have his spot and time, but I think Regz game makes him an easier call up to see what he can provide. For me, Nester is more of a long game prospect

Nesterenko's got speed, but no finish nor control of his stick. Regenda has finish, but doesn't have Nesterenko's speed.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Nesterenko's got speed, but no finish nor control of his stick. Regenda has finish, but doesn't have Nesterenko's speed.
Exactly. I think Nester can get that with more time with the Gulls. Regz isn't going to get that much faster though

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
He played a decent game. I liked him on the forecheck, he created some turnovers with his body. I didn't notice him in the defensive zone, which I think is a step forward. He was noticeably bad back there the last time he was up.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He played a decent game. I liked him on the forecheck, he created some turnovers with his body. I didn't notice him in the defensive zone, which I think is a step forward. He was noticeably bad back there the last time he was up.
He's good at forechecking and getting to the net. He spent some time there. He wasn't exactly put on a line where much was likely to happen although he's played with Groulx before.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
He's good at forechecking and getting to the net. He spent some time there. He wasn't exactly put on a line where much was likely to happen although he's played with Groulx before.
Yeah, I'd prefer him up with a more offensively-minded center cause Groulx just doesn't do anything in the OZ at this level.

Maybe if/when Lundy gets bumped back down that could be an interesting line.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
He absolutely crushed somebody and I also saw him consistently get to the front of the net.

I really hope we give him an actual look with actual NHL players, if we can scrounge any up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad