Value of: Pavelski UFA

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't see him leaving San Jose, I could see the price ranging wildly depending on how much he wanted to help the team.

I see a 2-3 year deal ranging from 4-6.5M per.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I could see him asking for 7M+ deal. Dudes a consistent 30G scorer and has never made more than 6M. Definitely deserves more than Evander Kane. Honestly, I think we'll see him on another team next year.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The organization hasn’t even made an offer to him and now he’s increasing his stock. He’s going to walk because we decided to sign Evander Kane, Martin Jones, Logan Couture, and Marc-Edouard Vlasic to massive long-term contracts when none of them are the caliber of player that Pavelski is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The organization hasn’t even made an offer to him and now he’s increasing his stock. He’s going to walk because we decided to sign Evander Kane, Martin Jones, Logan Couture, and Marc-Edouard Vlasic to massive long-term contracts when none of them are the caliber of player that Pavelski is.

Well yeah. They're young enough to believe they will fulfill the bulk of their term. They had and still have good reason to wait and see on Pavelski because they have other guys to sign to new deals and they need to figure out what it all is going to take, especially Karlsson. If Karlsson wants to stay, they have to keep enough space for potentially 11 million dollars a year. They have to find spots to trade guys like maybe Dell and/or Dillon and/or Braun and/or Melker Karlsson. I think once they figure out what's going on with Karlsson, Pavelski is likely next to sign. But if they sign Karlsson to 11 mil and Pavs to 7.5 mil with fairly limited investment to other positions, they're still going to need to move out about 3.5 million to make it work. If Pavelski walks, it's not because we decided to sign those guys. It's because we didn't want to or couldn't move other guys to make room for him. They can easily do it when all it maybe will take is moving someone like Dell and Melker to Philly for a mid-round draft pick.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I might be wrong, but I really wouldn't want to see us sign Pavs to a 3-4 year deal. He still has the drive but if he gets any slower in a couple of years then he is really going to struggle to keep up with the play.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I thought Pavelski was done after the first few games of the season but I was dead wrong. This guy is still elite.

First lock up Karlsson. Then see what we can offer Pavelski.

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs

Vlasic is easily one of the best shut-down defenders in the NHL

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Pavelski manages to finish the season with 40 goals...someone is going to throw money at him.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Kane is going to haunt this organization. That contract is so bad and it's going to make it harder to keep the good veterans they need to keep.

If Pavelski signs for anything under 7, he's a saint.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Pavs and Thornton are going to take matching 1 year, 1 mil deals to help SJS win a Cup.... next season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kane is going to haunt this organization. That contract is so bad and it's going to make it harder to keep the good veterans they need to keep.

If Pavelski signs for anything under 7, he's a saint.

Kane's contract isn't going to prevent them from keeping Pavelski, Karlsson, and Meier and those are the only impending free agents that matter at this point.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
He could definitely cash in on the open market if he scores 40+ goals again this year. SJ just depends on what he wants especially if they sign EK to 8x11 or something similar. I could see him potentially doing the Thornton, “sign the other big pieces then I’ll take what’s left” type thing as he seems like such a team guy but I don’t expect it and I absolutely wouldn’t hold it against him if he didn’t. He deserves to get paid.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Kane's contract isn't going to prevent them from keeping Pavelski, Karlsson, and Meier and those are the only impending free agents that matter at this point.

Labanc, Donskoi, and historical fan favourite Joe Thornton? So that's a guy playing on Pavelski's rightwing (Donskoi), and the entire third line (Labanc, Sorensen, Thornton).

I think the other depth pieces like Ryan, Radil etc aren't a big deal, but get rid of that much team depth where you have to wipe out your whole 3rd line, and a top line winger ON TOP of what you have to do to secure Karlsson, Pavelski, and Meier and this is a storm brewing for the Sharks that originates from Kane's contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Labanc, Donskoi, and historical fan favourite Joe Thornton? So that's a guy playing on Pavelski's rightwing (Donskoi), and the entire third line (Labanc, Sorensen, Thornton).

I think the other depth pieces like Ryan, Radil etc aren't a big deal, but get rid of that much team depth where you have to wipe out your whole 3rd line, and a top line winger ON TOP of what you have to do to secure Karlsson, Pavelski, and Meier and this is a storm brewing for the Sharks that originates from Kane's contract.

They can keep them if they want to as well. They have other pieces they can move out if they want to make that choice. They have replaceable depth pieces. They can trade Aaron Dell because they have Antoine Bibeau pretty much ready to go. They can trade Justin Braun and/or Brenden Dillon if they re-sign Karlsson depending on how they want to have their blue line. They will likely find a way to move out Melker Karlsson because of guys like Radil, Goodrow, and others internally and how easy it is to find a cheap 4th liner elsewhere. Thornton is an easy keep since he'd likely come back on a one year deal that they could have him sign near league minimum with easy bonuses that won't go against next season's cap. Sorensen could cash in elsewhere but they have Kane, potentially Pavelski, Meier, Labanc, Hertl/Couture, guys they like such as Chekhovich, Perron, and Halbgewachs that would compete for a roster spot potentially a 3rd line role.

Getting rid of team depth only matters if you don't have replacements at the ready for those spots. The Sharks do and even if they didn't, that made-up problem doesn't originate from Kane's contract. There were big money long term deals that were signed well before Kane like Burns, Vlasic, and Jones. Pinning it on any one guy is not giving an accurate representation of the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad