Proposal: Pavelski (50% retained) for Kapanen

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think Dallas would take this deal? Robertson - Hintz - Kapanen would be a very fast line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How optimistic! Why bother with any rentals eh?

Pavelski would improve this team in several key areas, and is the sort of acquisition that would go a long way to ensuring we won't get bounced early again. Likely more than any other return we'd get for Kap.

Newsflash: It may not be feasible to keep Kapanen next year regardless if they choose to keep Rodrigues and Rust, 2 players who have both outperformed him this year.

There are other ways to trade Kapanen? What other move do you think would make the Pens better this year and moving forward?

There is a MASSIVE difference between trading for a rental and trading a cost controlled 2nd liner winger for a rental. One is what a ton of contending teams do. The other is what Jim Benning does.

The move is just egregiously short sighted. How does this trade even remotely improve the Penguins going forward? You get a boost for like 40 games and then Pavelski is gone.

You keep saying "cost controlled", but we have no idea what his next contract will be. That would be applicable if he were signed to a good deal moving forward, but he is not.

He's an impending RFA under team control.

You're arguing semantics. He isn't hitting UFA for multiple years. He is therefore cost controlled. Whether you want to play semantics and argue for cost controlled vs team controlled is irrelevant.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There is a MASSIVE difference between trading for a rental and trading a cost controlled 2nd liner winger for a rental. One is what a ton of contending teams do. The other is what Jim Benning does.

The move is just egregiously short sighted. How does this trade even remotely improve the Penguins going forward? You get a boost for like 40 games and then Pavelski is gone.

It doesn't. It makes the Pens better this year, and moving forward we can use the cap space we aren't using on Kapanen elsewhere.

Do you think we have unlimited cap space next year? How do you think we retain Malkin, Letang, Rust, ERod, and Kapanen?

You're arguing semantics. He isn't hitting UFA for multiple years. He is therefore cost controlled. Whether you want to play semantics and argue for cost controlled vs team controlled is irrelevant.

There's a clear difference between the two ideas, and it affects value.

Kapanen is likely to make something in the 4-5 mil range on his next deal. That's not some huge bargain, that's about what he's worth as of now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It doesn't. It makes the Pens better this year, and moving forward we can use the cap space we aren't using on Kapanen elsewhere.

Do you think we have unlimited cap space next year? How do you think we retain Malkin, Letang, Rust, ERod, and Kapanen?

Or they can still trade Kapanen this off-season and target something that isn't a 40 game rental.

Trading Kapanen for a rental is a flat out bad idea. Period. You have a substantially better argument for something like Zucker and a boatload of futures for Pavelski and then working out the cap in the off-season than to do Kapanen for Pavelski.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Needs to be part of a bigger deal IMO

If the bottom falls out in Dallas they probably look into dealing both Pavs and Klingberg (of course).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Or they can still trade Kapanen this off-season and target something that isn't a 40 game rental.

Trading Kapanen for a rental is a flat out bad idea. Period. You have a substantially better argument for something like Zucker and a boatload of futures for Pavelski and then working out the cap in the off-season than to do Kapanen for Pavelski.

I'd be open to that too.

But would Dallas even want Zucker?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm going to try to appease @Empoleon8771 here:

Forgetting Kapanen for the moment, how do Dallas fans feel about Zucker and a 1st for Pavelski?

I would even be willing to add Legare or Poulin on top of that package as well. No clue if Dallas does it, but I'd much rather do that over trading Kapanen and still needing to deal Zucker in the off-season.

Reactions: Stubu

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would even be willing to add Legare or Poulin on top of that package as well. No clue if Dallas does it, but I'd much rather do that over trading Kapanen and still needing to deal Zucker in the off-season.

I'd be okay with either.

Nice goal by Pavs just now too. That kind of touch around the net is just one of many reasons why he'd do well here.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
While Pavelski could certainly be a good fit for the Penguins, teams that are looking to go on a playoff run don't deal second liners on good contracts in those trades. Picks and prospects make more sense for the return.

If that's a no-go from a Dallas point of view, I'd understand that too. Yet I expect the Pens would be looking to add, not swap key skaters.

In the end, Kapanen is probably too much of a veteran to be trade bait in a buyer/seller scenario at the trade deadline.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Pavelski at 50% retained for a 2nd liner you say?

How about Lebanc+?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Wrong. For one, Dallas isn't taking zucker .....pens don't have the boat load of futures. The whole logic here is malkin amd letang. If they want to keep them then salary needs to go which will likey mean rust doesn't resign and aleast one trade which Kapanen is an obvious choice. .ales perfect sense if they want to make a run this year.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
He would do miracles in powerplay for us but how's his skating and 5v5 play? I love Kappy and want to see him playing with Malkin tho. He was insane last year and he usually scored when we needed it most

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Easy pass. I'd like Pavs on this team (he's good and he's born on my birthday and birth year) but needs to be a different player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad