Proposal: Pavelski (50% retained) for Kapanen

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dear lord absolutely not. Why the hell would you trade a cost controlled 2nd liner for an upper 30s rental? Atrocious.

Because Pavelski is a much better player right now, and we won't be able to re-sign all our forwards next year. Something has to give.

Kindly watch this video and let me know why you wouldn't want this player for a playoff run:

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Pavelski and Crosby would be a show. Pavelski's hand eye and deflections are top notch and Crosby is smart enough to be able to utilize that.

Surprised Kapanen isn't doing better on the stat sheet this year. I can see the logic here for both teams but I think Dallas might be able to get better value.

Reactions: Stubu

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pavelski and Crosby would be a show. Pavelski's hand eye and deflections are top notch and Crosby is smart enough to be able to utilize that.

Surprised Kapanen isn't doing better on the stat sheet this year. I can see the logic here for both teams but I think Dallas might be able to get better value.

Crosby, Guentzel, and Pavelski are arguably the 3 best hand-eye players in the league.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No. Such a hard no that your trade proposal creation privileges should be revoked.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No. Such a hard no that your trade proposal creation privileges should be revoked.

Not much in the way of rationale in this counter argument.

Tell me, who do you think is a better player right now, Pavelski or Kapanen? Do you think it's close?

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'd do it as a Pens fan, Pavs is an absolute warrior that would put us over the top. If dealing Kap also makes keeping Erod more realistic, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Dear lord absolutely not. Why the hell would you trade a cost controlled 2nd liner for an upper 30s rental? Atrocious.
You do realize it’s the Stars that are gonna say no, right?

With 50% retention, they’d be at the same prize too. You would make a afwul GM to say no.

Adding Pavelski for a year for -50% and it would only cost you 2 years of bang-on average player, but you won’t do it cause Kapanen is younger? Lol

Reactions: Patty Ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You do realize it’s the Stars that are gonna say no, right?

With 50% retention, they’d be at the same prize too. You would make a afwul GM to say no.

Adding Pavelski for a year for -50% and it would only cost you 2 years of bang-on average player, but you won’t do it cause Kapanen is younger? Lol

You'd have to be a stupid GM to trade a cost controlled 2nd liner for a rental. That's just a fact. It doesn't matter if Pavelski is better because the Penguins would have Pavelski for half a season.

It's an absolutely abysmal use of assets. I don't give a crap whether Dallas would say yes or no because it's horrid for Pittsburgh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because Pavelski is a much better player right now, and we won't be able to re-sign all our forwards next year. Something has to give.

Kindly watch this video and let me know why you wouldn't want this player for a playoff run:

And when the Penguins lose in the 1st round again this year, they'll end up getting half a season out of Pavelski and they won't have Kapanen anymore.

It's an insanely short sighted move, and that's being polite. There are a ton of better ways to trade Kapanen if you want to trade him. Sending him out for a rental is just horrid.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Something around DeBrusk++ from Boston would be good for Dallas IMO. I have always liked his game prior to this season. A change of scenery could really benefit him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And when the Penguins lose in the 1st round again this year, they'll end up getting half a season out of Pavelski and they won't have Kapanen anymore.

It's an insanely short sighted move, and that's being polite. There are a ton of better ways to trade Kapanen if you want to trade him. Sending him out for a rental is just horrid.

How optimistic! Why bother with any rentals eh?

Pavelski would improve this team in several key areas, and is the sort of acquisition that would go a long way to ensuring we won't get bounced early again. Likely more than any other return we'd get for Kap.

Newsflash: It may not be feasible to keep Kapanen next year regardless if they choose to keep Rodrigues and Rust, 2 players who have both outperformed him this year.

There are other ways to trade Kapanen? What other move do you think would make the Pens better this year and moving forward?

You'd have to be a stupid GM to trade a cost controlled 2nd liner for a rental. That's just a fact. It doesn't matter if Pavelski is better because the Penguins would have Pavelski for half a season.

It's an absolutely abysmal use of assets. I don't give a crap whether Dallas would say yes or no because it's horrid for Pittsburgh.

You keep saying "cost controlled", but we have no idea what his next contract will be. That would be applicable if he were signed to a good deal moving forward, but he is not.

He's an impending RFA under team control.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
:stars:pens

Versatile two-way vet to help the Pens playoff push for a speedy RH shot scoring winger to grow with the Stars young core.
I don’t get the hate. This seems a reasonable and fair proposal. I’d rather have Pavs for this season but he’s a rental. Fair rental price IMO if Pitt is really going for it.

Pavelski is great in front of the net. Maybe the best at tipping pucks/shots in the entire NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad