Value of: Pavel Zacha

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
What would it take for Chicago to get this guy out of NJ.

How long is NJ management willing to be patient for Zacha?

there is potential there with Zacha to turn into a big, elite two way forward who can chip in offensively . In playoff years you’d be thrilled to have this guy down the middle between 2nd and 3rd line.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
It likely costs more to get Zacha out of Jersey than he's actually worth at this point if we were talking prospects / picks. The devils have no reason to trade him for something like a second round pick. I'm not even a fan, but he has gotten better each year so I get wanting to see where it goes.

Imho, I think he's only moved in a "hockey" trade

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I think next year people will see why he was taken 6th overall. I’m Not saying he will be a top six player in that draft either.
Last year is really the first year he really had consistent line mates ona regular basis.
He might not ever be a PPG player but he is the kind of player that you win hockey games with.
I say he puts up 50-65 points next year if he continues playing with players he has developed chemistry with.
Unless it’s a really good young D coming back I see no point in trading him.
I really don’t think he’s worth more than a late first right now or early second.
For what he makes and what he does I’d rather keep him.
Even if he stays a third liner when IMO he becomes a second liner next season I’m Not trading a third liner making 2.25 million.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

there is potential there with Zacha to turn into a big, elite two way forward who can chip in offensively . In playoff years you’d be thrilled to have this guy down the middle between 2nd and 3rd line.

Ditto, which is why I'm not prepared to trade Zacha for anything remotely reasonable. I have no interest in moving on before seeing him under the direction of a new coaching staff.

I think there's a very good chance Zacha pans out exactly as you described, which is very valuable. We haven't had a player like that since Zubrus.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It likely costs more to get Zacha out of Jersey than he's actually worth at this point if we were talking prospects / picks. The devils have no reason to trade him for something like a second round pick. I'm not even a fan, but he has gotten better each year so I get wanting to see where it goes.

Imho, I think he's only moved in a "hockey" trade

pretty much this

if you want to overpay, they'll listen....but it wouldn't make much sense to trade him for "fair value" right now, especially given how he played the 2nd half of the season

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Zacha value is low and lower with the impending Expansion Draft. Value is about 2nd + 3rd picks.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Zacha value is low and lower with the impending Expansion Draft. Value is about 2nd + 3rd picks.

Which why he likely wouldn't be moved. What's in it for NJ? Picks 58 and 78? The team is better off keeping Zacha. He's getting incrementally better each year and at least he's a top tier penalty killer. If a team believes in whatever potential McLeod has he might be a better trade target as he is seemingly the odd man out in NJ.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

OP asked specifically about what it would take for Chicago to get him, I don't know Chicago's particular situation with the ex-draft, if they would be able to protect him, then I don't think the ex-draft would affect his value. If they wouldn't be able to protect him then I don't think they'd trade for him at all.

As for the OP's question, Zacha is a difficult player to value. He plays very strong hockey for months at a time, then disappears, that's how he ends up with 25-30 points. There are a lot of NJ fans that think he can still become a physical 2-way 55 point forward.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
OP asked specifically about what it would take for Chicago to get him, I don't know Chicago's particular situation with the ex-draft, if they would be able to protect him, then I don't think the ex-draft would affect his value. If they wouldn't be able to protect him then I don't think they'd trade for him at all.

As for the OP's question, Zacha is a difficult player to value. He plays very strong hockey for months at a time, then disappears, that's how he ends up with 25-30 points. There are a lot of NJ fans that think he can still become a physical 2-way 55 point forward.

Zacha is a decent player, but not sure if CHI or many other teams can protect him? Far from being an all-star, but good enough to be selected by SEA. I believe NJD keeps him for at least another season if he progresses before moving.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I personally don't see a way for Chicago to get him that isn't an overpayment. He carries far more value for the Devils right now than he'd likely return in offers, as others have said. I want to see what he can do under a real NHL coach before we move him.

Reactions: Forge

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Zacha is a decent player, but not sure if CHI or many other teams can protect him? Far from being an all-star, but good enough to be selected by SEA. I believe NJD keeps him for at least another season if he progresses before moving.

Right now NJ has like 3 forwards they need to protect for the expansion draft. Hischier, Bratt, and Zacha. They can re-sign Palmieri, Goose, and possibly Zajac early but if they wait till after the expansion draft they don’t have to expose them.

Even if they do re-sign all of them early they’ll still have an open spot to protect unless they want to protect Joey Anderson, Janne Kuokkanen, of Nicholas Merkley.

There is no immediate reason to trade Zacha or expose him to Seattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBF1972

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I just think it's a team by team thing. For example, Kubalik, Dach, and Boqvist do not need to be protected, guys like De Haan and Saad might not need to be protected based on their age, salary, and level of performance. Guys like Seabrook might agree to waive their NMCs.

I definitely agree that Zacha is not good enough that you would trade for him if you already have some difficult decision to make for the ex-draft, I just don't know if Chi is in that situation or not.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I personally don't see a way for Chicago to get him that isn't an overpayment. He carries far more value for the Devils right now than he'd likely return in offers, as others have said. I want to see what he can do under a real NHL coach before we move him.

Pretty much. Chicago specifically just seems like a bad fit because I don't see a player that makes sense from a hockey trade perspective. There are other teams that probably have a comparable asset that makes sense, but I'd have to look around.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My knee jerk thought is that it's not a great time to shop Zacha since his value probably isn't great. As others said, a hockey deal to get a similarly aged LD would probably be something to consider.

It was only a stretch of 10 games to conclude this season, but the Bratt-Zacha-Gusev line showed some signs of life. Zacha had 7 points and looked comfortable; Our lineup was a weird mix last year so Zacha ended up going from center to wing constantly. We'll see if the new coaching staff keeps that line together.

Can't help but channel Michael Scott when describing Zacha going from center to wing seemingly every two weeks.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As I have said in other Zacha threads....NJ should keep him.

He is PERFECT for what you want playing behind Nico and Hughes. Him taking on the hard minutes gives easier matchups for those 2 in the future. A 30-40 pont big defensive C is great to have. And on the chance the offense DOES grow, then you could have your own version of Couturier...or even Couturier lite. A 50 point #3C who is big and good defensively gives you advantages over other teams in matchups.

Keep him!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Right now NJ has like 3 forwards they need to protect for the expansion draft. Hischier, Bratt, and Zacha. They can re-sign Palmieri, Goose, and possibly Zajac early but if they wait till after the expansion draft they don’t have to expose them.

Even if they do re-sign all of them early they’ll still have an open spot to protect unless they want to protect Joey Anderson, Janne Kuokkanen, of Nicholas Merkley.

There is no immediate reason to trade Zacha or expose him to Seattle.

Gusev isn't even eligible for the expansion draft per CapFriendly so we don't even have to worry about him

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Elite forward really? The last 4 seasons his numbers are almost identical. Decent forward sure but not elite.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If this is a trade to Chicago what makes sense is a Strome (Rights) for Zacha if the belief Dach is their number 2C who will eventually become the 1C. Obviously NJD add but it would really help Chicago with their Cap and Zacha is a perfect 3C. Strome is gonna want more than Chicago can afford.

Or if it is straight up maybe a cap dump like Shaw.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
If this is a trade to Chicago what makes sense is a Strome (Rights) for Zacha if the belief Dach is their number 2C who will eventually become the 1C. Obviously NJD add but it would really help Chicago with their Cap and Zacha is a perfect 3C. Strome is gonna want more than Chicago can afford.

Or if it is straight up maybe a cap dump like Shaw.
How does that make any sense for NJD?

that is a lateral move at best and one that makes the devils worse and would cost us more. Is Strome an elite penalty killer? Zacha is bigger and plays the 3C role perfect for us. Zacha makes like 2 million per for the next couple seasons

Not only that but you want NJD to add on top of that. Easy No

Reactions: Puckclektr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad