Prospect Info: Pavel Zacha

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pretty much. Was the best C on the ice not named Zajac but pillow soft Henrique and stone hands Kalinin earned the trust of Hynes. Too bad.
I thought he made a few nice neutral zone plays but he had a weak game against Oilers. Wood was tremendous once someone got the puck in the defensive zone.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I thought he made a few nice neutral zone plays but he had a weak game against Oilers. Wood was tremendous once someone got the puck in the defensive zone.

Wood/Zacha seemed like the only two players that were trying to push the puck out of the zone.

A lot of times they didn't get the puck out on the first try, but they pushed the defense out enough that they eventually moved the puck out of the zone. Wood usually make a bolt out of the zone once the team got the puck helped that.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
DSP needs to go by way of injury. He is terrible starting the rush in the defensive zone, terrible in the neutral zone, can't carry a puck in, dumps the puck in bad places, can't retrieve the puck on the dump, can't cycle.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The only thing that worries me a little is, where is his mean streak? Constantly he lays off, it seems. I'd like to see a little more aggressiveness from him in pursuit of the puck. I guess it could be the coaching staff holding him back and stressing discipline, and he doesn't want to get in the coach's doghouse by taking bad penalties. Or maybe it will show more as he reaches his comfort level in the NHL, and gets stronger.

I think it is a bit of both him not wanting to be in the coaching dog house (which getting scratched might have implied to him that he has been there before) and him still getting comfortable. It has to be hard for a rookie to get comfortable when you are being moved around the line up as much as he has been. And not just different lines at the center position, but also getting moved from center to left wing when he was just looking like he was comfortable and finding his stride offensively. Then he also gets scratched and lesser talents are playing over him.

He has shown a nasty and physical side a few times. Buffalo is one team that comes to mind when he flattened Ristolainen. He's laid some big hits a few times this season.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
How do you guys feel about the 40 game marker for Zacha, past which he'll burn a year towards UFA?

I'm not sure there's enough to be gained keeping him past that point, unless he really turns it up scoring wise the next couple games. Might not be the worst thing for him to get one last cup of coffee in junior.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How do you guys feel about the 40 game marker for Zacha, past which he'll burn a year towards UFA?

I'm not sure there's enough to be gained keeping him past that point, unless he really turns it up scoring wise the next couple games. Might not be the worst thing for him to get one last cup of coffee in junior.

He makes a handful of nice plays but has no impact on any game.

The key is boosting his confidence somehow.
Maybe that is in Sarnia.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure what going down to juniors, saying he isn't good enough for the NHL, to score against 16/17 year olds is supposed to help his confidence that much? Who's to say that keeping him up here, continuing to give him more ice time and opportunities in the top 6 and special teams, wouldn't help his confidence more?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure what going down to juniors, saying he isn't good enough for the NHL, to score against 16/17 year olds is supposed to help his confidence that much? Who's to say that keeping him up here, continuing to give him more ice time and opportunities in the top 6 and special teams, wouldn't help his confidence more?

Fair point, but Hynes has to put him in more situations to succeed.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

That threshold has already been passed. He doesn't have to play 40 games, he just has to be on the roster for 40 games. He's not going back to junior.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Fair point, but Hynes has to put him in more situations to succeed.

He should. But then again Zacha needs to realize he's a 19 year old rookie not lighting the world on fire, he won't be handed those opportunities. I think he should be just based on skill level but that won't happen. He needs to fight through this. A little bit of adversity can be good for a player early on their career.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Zacha makes smart plays. Looks like he can hang possession wise at times. He's been better than Henrique/Palmieri in that regard. Especially if you place him with Hall.

You ideally want to see him produce more, but at least he's been looking much better in terms of possession recently.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The coach needs to sit him down and ask him to start simple. That will help him regain his confidence.

Nothing for him in juniors. Albany would be great for him but we can't send him there.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zacha makes smart plays. Looks like he can hang possession wise at times. He's been better than Henrique/Palmieri in that regard. Especially if you place him with Hall.

You ideally want to see him produce more, but at least he's been looking much better in terms of possession recently.

Yeah, that's the thing. The fear with keeping 19 year olds in the NHL is that they'll be overwhelmed and develop bad habits. I don't see that with Zacha. I do see some things that need work, certainly, but I'm not seeing someone who is overwhelmed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, that's the thing. The fear with keeping 19 year olds in the NHL is that they'll be overwhelmed and develop bad habits. I don't see that with Zacha. I do see some things that need work, certainly, but I'm not seeing someone who is overwhelmed.

Agreed. He has shown he can handle the NHL game.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Zacha can actually enter and exit a zone, something that more than half this team can't do. He is a good skater, and thinks the game quickly, but I don't think he's been given a chance to succeed. He needs someone like Stevens for Larsson to push him to be more physical and assert himself in the game. I think he can be a top line center, and expect him to be the 2C next year if we can get a competent coach

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah I would like to see Zacha be more engaged in the play. He's doesn't have to constantly truck guys or be a nasty player, but sometimes I feel he's too much of a passenger and not enough of a driver.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I would like to see Zacha be more engaged in the play. He's doesn't have to constantly truck guys or be a nasty player, but sometimes I feel he's too much of a passenger and not enough of a driver.

That is confidence, he lacks it right now. He needs a coach to help push him, not convinced anyone on this staff can do that right now.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Saying Zacha has to earn opportunities is fair enough, but even when he plays well enough to earn ice time, he really doesn't get it in favor of players who aren't performing. It's a lot to expect of a rookie that he rise above the quagmire this team is in, and even when he does, he doesn't get any kind of reward for doing so from the coach. With the season already lost, I'd like to see more focus on developing Zacha, and part of that is giving him opportunities, especially when he is playing well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Confidence is why I wish he went to the WJC.

I would've liked to see him go there but it's not like he was a world beater the last couple years. Last year he was pretty much non existent at the WJC so that might be why they decided to keep him here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad