Pavel Zacha

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Originally what i wanted to do was have a variety of people on the board look at prospects they were interested in for a scouting project. However there wasn not enough interest to do that, so I just went ahead and did some very amateur scouting on zacha a prospect that I find intriguing.

Zacha is really an enigma. There are times where he is the fastest skater on the ice , and there are times where he looks slow. There are times where he looks defensively responsible and there are times where he looks like he has no clue what he is doing on defense. There are very few consistencies about his game but the few I will list.

Areas where he is good

1. Great hands, he is very good accurate passer , can dangle, receives passes nicely and in stride. Just great soft strong hands all around

2. Physical. He is a great forechecker. Simple as that.

3. Elite shooting capability , with great release, accuracy, and abiity to get shots off.

Areas where I think he is bad at

1. Mental aspects of the game. More on this later.

Areas where he struggles to find concistency

1. Skating. At times when he puts his nose down and moves his legs his skating is elite top speed and elite acceleration. You may only see those shifts 2x a game which is ashame. Most of the time he is not moving his legs and kinda just gliding. I don't know if this is a concious thing he is doing or if the mental aspect of the game is hindering his ability to impact it physically.

2. Defense. There are times where he plays deep into his own zone and has the puck skills and skating to break out all on his own with ease. There are times where he cheats up ice and does not fulfill his responsibilities as a center and as result Sarnia fails to clear the zone. When he is facing his man he is a pretty good defensive center because of his ability to cover a huge area of the ice with his size ,skating and reach. He is not very good at faceoffs from what i could tell.

3. Playing Center. Zacha may not be a natural center, but again he had a lot working against him this year in Sarnia.

Advocay on his part:

Zacha played on a pretty bad sarnia team this year. NOt much talent, and from most of the games i saw they really struggled to clear the puck out of their zone. Zacha was tasked as a first year NA player to center their top line. Zacha was clearly the most talented Forward on the team and was suspended twice this year and injured his shoulder as well as playing in the wjc this season. All those interruptions prevented him from finding any consistency in his game , along with being a first time NA player. I can fully understand why some considered his rookie year to be a dissappointment , but he had so much working against him this year I can see why he may have struggled. I don't think we saw him at his best this year.

Final Notes:

I am scared of Zacha as a fan of the flyers. I am scared of him busting if we select him, but what i am most scared of is us passing on him and him finally blossoming and becoming an absolute force. Zacha clearly struggled in the NA game. I think he would've looked a lot better and put up more guady numbers as a winger but going through the growing pains now may benefit him more next year. He absolutely has first line 2 way center potential which is extremley rare. He has also shown he has no sort of consistency in his overall game right now. Young players are rarely consitent, and considering this was his first year playing in north america i can sympathize with why he did not have the consistency you would expect.

Best case scenario is this, Zacha has top 3 talent and was unable to show that this year because of a disasterous up and down season with no rhythm and some fortunate team is able to get him while his value is lowest.

Worst case scenario is for all his physical gifts zacha has zero hockey sense which makes him unable to make a signifcant impact.

On the High end he could be Jeff Carter

On the Low end he could be Benoit Pouliot.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
This is pretty good. I'm going to be activating my HockeyStreams account in two weeks and I'll watch a few of his games and see if I agree/disagree with what you've written.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This pretty much echoes what I've seen in Zacha. His tendency to be invisible for long stretches of time is very worrisome; he often just glides around without much purpose.

Hell of a one-timer, though.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Zacha definitely has upside. Will be interesting to see if NJ takes him and leaves us choice of Provorov or Crouse.

Not a Barzal fan? I think he's twice the hockey player Zacha is. I'd snap him up over Zacha & Crouse in a heartbeat.

turnip22

Dec 23, 2010
The Flyers love Zacha. They have followed him closely in Sarnia this year.

They love his drive, grit and nasty streak. Zacha is a prototypical Philadelphia Flyer. He did have a bit of a trying year, first dealing with his clown of an agent in Allan Walsh (whom he fired and replaced with Patrick Stefan). He then had to adjust to the North American ice and game, which suits him perfectly, but it still and adjustment from the European game.

He did have a little trouble finding his ideal level of intensity. He was over zealous at times, which led to a pair of suspensions, so he toned it down a bit, he wasn't as good, which led to some inconsistency in his game. Like everyone else, he has to play on the edge, without going over it.

The Flyers believe he will find that with more experience and maturity. He will be a LW at the NHL level, and he has all the skills and tools to succeed as a top six winger. He's basically a JVR, but with a set of balls.

If he is available at #7, I believe he is the Flyers pick. If you are not a fan of Zacha, the good news for you is he will likely be taken by the Devils at #6.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA

They love his drive, grit and nasty streak. Zacha is a prototypical Philadelphia Flyer. He did have a bit of a trying year, first dealing with his clown of an agent in Allan Walsh (whom he fired and replaced with Patrick Stefan). He then had to adjust to the North American ice and game, which suits him perfectly, but it still and adjustment from the European game.

He did have a little trouble finding his ideal level of intensity. He was over zealous at times, which led to a pair of suspensions, so he toned it down a bit, he wasn't as good, which led to some inconsistency in his game. Like everyone else, he has to play on the edge, without going over it.

The Flyers believe he will find that with more experience and maturity. He will be a LW at the NHL level, and he has all the skills and tools to succeed as a top six winger. He's basically a JVR, but with a set of balls.

If he is available at #7, I believe he is the Flyers pick. If you are not a fan of Zacha, the good news for you is he will likely be taken by the Devils at #6.

:laugh: Awesome.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This doesn't exist anymore. I wish people would stop using this cliche.

I think New Jersey goes for a guy that they think will be an NHL 1st line center. For that reason, I think they go Matthew Barzal.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
I think a major part of his IQ as you mentioned is in him playing center rather than winger. Switching to NA hockey, and switching position definitely impacted him. I think if we are drafting on need we 100% should take Zacha, our most needed area is a goalscoring LW which he is projected to be. Put him on a team that he doesn't have to carry and I bet he would be putting up way more points.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Not a Barzal fan? I think he's twice the hockey player Zacha is. I'd snap him up over Zacha & Crouse in a heartbeat.

No. Saw a few u18 games and he didn't strike me as anything special. We'll see what the scouts think.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Devils fan here.

If we don't select Zacha, I'm hoping you guys can draft him and punish us for years on end.

This guy, whether with the Devils or Flyers, will be amazing.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I really, really think Zacha will be a Flyer. It's a gut feeling, and I really have no clue why. Maybe it's because it feels a bit like the Morin pick.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I have a huge amount of confidence in our gm and scouting department to make the right calls. I feel an above ave number of our picks will hit the 200+ games played mark. And if it is zacha at 7, I feel he is gonna be angry, out to prove a point to other teams. I think what be will need to work on is use his linemates better and improve his defensive play. If he can do that over the next few years, he could become an elite star for us.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I really, really think Zacha will be a Flyer. It's a gut feeling, and I really have no clue why. Maybe it's because it feels a bit like the Morin pick.

Barzal feels like the couturier pick to me. Highly touted prospect at beginning of the year, most people thought he was in the big 4, falls due to injury, we take him and laugh all the way to the bank.

This draft could go any number of ways. Flyers probably have many favorites at 7, I just hope they pick the right guy

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Barzal??? lol

Guy shouldn't get selected anywhere below the Avs' pick. He's great, but there's tons of other prospects.

We are talking about the same Barzal that Central Scouting top scout said would be in the mix for #1 in other drafts (if not hurt) right?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
NHL scouts quoted with concerns of Barzal's play without the puck.

Strange. I didn't see that at all in my viewings of Barzal.

In fact, I thought Barzal worked very hard without the puck, much moreso than Zacha and many of the top prospects. I actually thought it was a strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad