Pavel Zacha reaches the 100 career point mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Tonight, Pavel Zacha becomes the 17th player of the 2015 draft class to reach 100 points. He also avoids being the last player in the top 10 picks of 2015 to reach the 100 point milestone. Only Dylan Strome has yet to reach 100. But with 97 points, that should be just a matter of days.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
That's a tough one for NJ. He had tools but felt like a bit of a reach at the time.

His stock was high going into that year, but became polarizing as the year went along, if I'm recalling correctly. Atleast he got there before Strome, he's still youngish.

Reactions: BHD

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
He’s been playing pretty good the recent stretch. Very much a hot & cold player offensively. Looks like a true first rounder for couple of weeks and then has zero points for the next. Defensively he’s always solid though.

Considering the strength of that draft, he’s naturally a disappointment in that sense, we all know that. But still a good defensive middle6/bottom6 nhler, that’s still relatively young and can improve a lot offensively.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I actually like Zacha as a player and would take him on the Flyers as a 3C any day. It sucks because he's a useful player and if he was taken 5 spots later in that first round there wouldn't be much talking about him being a disappointment but when you're drafted just before two top pairing defenseman and two top line players, that's all anyone is going to see.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Only took him 5 years of pro, impressive

The 6th overall pick in 2014, Jake Virtanen is still 9 points away from 100 career points. But still, as a Canuck fan, I'm satisfied with this pick. Sure there were better players drafted after him, but that's just the way it goes. I would certainly take Zacha over the 2016 5th overall pick Ollie Juelevi who has played ZERO NHL games so far.

I believe the main reason this player gets criticized is the fact that his draft class is so strong. Perhaps the best draft class ever. If Zacha was drafted in 2014 or 2016, he wouldn't be controversial at all.

All in all, I think he's a decent player. I was more than happy to recognize this milestone.

Reactions: Czechboy

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Zacha is a good player because he's excellent on the PK, can play center or wing, can play up and down the lineup. Zacha is a terrible 6th OA pick. Not that 6OA always turns into a great player. Would have been a good pick as a mid first rounder, but he was clearly not the best player available in that draft and the Devil's reached because he was a center.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'm happy to see him improving (even if its taken this long)..

Things to say about Zacha's play this season:

1) He is definitely a streaky streaky player. Looks realllyy good when he's on, but that comes in spurts. You can see the talent level is there. He started the season looking like a solid ES driver, but the points didn't show up. Hynes had him shuffled up and down the lineup until it was kinda settled on 3rd and fills up higher as needed.

2) He's definitely more a playmaker than shooter by natural tendencies, and he's consistently getting really solid passes to his linemates in all game situations. Creative and solid hard passes on the tape. Reminds me a bit of the way Hall would pass the puck a bit. He's almost a too pass bias, because he has a hard shot but he's had less luck with this season.

3) He is an all-situation capable guy, PK, PP, 4v4, 3v3 OT. Since Nasreddins taken over he's been taking 3v3 shifts every OT. Solid defensively and reponsible player, will come back and help the D and usually more a trailing center. Smooth skater for his size but not necessarily a speed demon, or so it looks.

He's becoming quite the threat on SH situations, he's basically the 2nd wave Coleman on PK. For those fans familiar with Blake Coleman. They alternate their PK shifts.

The last few weeks, he's looked pretty good overall, although when he ends up on a top line, he doesn't get much points to show for it, but he was generating plays. I think as of last game, he matched his season points high in 10 less games played so far.

He and Hynes must have not saw things eye to eye. Hynes used to yank him around, particularly last season and season before. When Devils vs. Nashville (Hynes returns) game back at the rock, Zacha looked like a player possessed, got 2g, 1a and almost had a 3rd goal (multiple times number of posts). Was basically forward for NJ that game.

__

I still have hope of a bigger breakout... you can see it in games. He's not a super-star, but i think he is already morphing into a really solid player. Points aren't fully reflecting his impact, in my opinion. I'd like to see another season since Hynes is gone now.....to see if his offensive impact increases.

Last edited:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The 6th overall pick in 2014, Jake Virtanen is still 9 points away from 100 career points. But still, as a Canuck fan, I'm satisfied with this pick. Sure there were better players drafted after him, but that's just the way it goes. I would certainly take Zacha over the 2016 5th overall pick Ollie Juelevi who has played ZERO NHL games so far.

I believe the main reason this player gets criticized is the fact that his draft class is so strong. Perhaps the best draft class ever. If Zacha was drafted in 2014 or 2016, he wouldn't be controversial at all.

All in all, I think he's a decent player. I was more than happy to recognize this milestone.
Virtanen in hindsight wasn't a good pick either but like Zacha he's at least a useful, cheap player. The Devils are going to have to go Zacha's entire career being reminded that the next 4 players drafted were Provorov, Werenski, Meier, and Rantanen and that's not really fair to Zacha.

Reactions: Godstin Matthews

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I keep telling myself he's young and Centres take longer. FTR.. I'd kill for him to be the 3C for the Oil.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Pavel is a slow builder.

First few years had issues away from
His family, particularly his father. Had major lack of confidence and being bumped from NHL to AHL when he’d do well didnt help

Then a few years up permanently but always being scratched or bounced to the 4th line with benders - usually after he did well

Now he is doing well consistently and is receiving play for it. He generates almost a breakaway per game and his size and defensive ability allow him to take over sometimes. His shot is also the hardest on the team.

My boy Pavel will surely be a fixture in an NHL lineup one day, likely producing 45-55 and amazing two-way/PK play. I just hope it is in NJ!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's a tough one for NJ. He had tools but felt like a bit of a reach at the time.

His stock was high going into that year, but became polarizing as the year went along, if I'm recalling correctly. Atleast he got there before Strome, he's still youngish.

AKA the Ray Shero special.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Ok...

Is it me or do we need to put a cap on threads for random milestones? Every one and their mother hit 1000 games this year then were celebrating a player who is underachieving hitting 100 points?

Chara - 1500 games - cool
OV - 700 Goals - cool

Everyone else. Try harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad