Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk [once again] is a Selke Finalist

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Congratulations Pavel!

We placed fifth in team defense? Wow. It's clear it was our offense that sucked all season.

Aug 6, 2012
I think being such a household name in the Selke talks for so long has hurt Pavel's chances of winning the award. He's no worse than hes ever been defensively, but it seems as if he's run his course with the voters. Bergeron will win it since since he plays in Boston and from the East - not to say he doesn't deserve it, they all do, but he's got the upper hand on Pavel and Toews because of it IMO.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
With the way Detroit's goals against ended up ranking despite a pretty poor defensive core, I can see Datsyuk winning it this year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
+21 with Lidström at last year (70 games)
+21 without Lidström at this year (47 games)

Pavel, you are just unbelieveable individual. :bow:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Wow, the whine is strong on the main board's thread :laugh:

Boring nominees? WTF?

I think it's the three most deserving finalists. Hope Datsyuk wins but it could easily go to Toews.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If we're talking about a single season at their current levels of play, would anyone take Toews over Datsyuk?

I think the only player I'd take over Datsyuk is Crosby.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It's almost a shame that he's only won it 3 times... How many times a game do you see Pavel sneak up behind someone carrying the puck up the ice and take it away effortlessly?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
It's almost a shame that he's only won it 3 times... How many times a game do you see Pavel sneak up behind someone carrying the puck up the ice and take it away effortlessly?

The other thing Pavel does so well is when he loses the puck, he almost always gets it back. He's like a beast making up for his mistake. I like all 3 nominees. Wouldn't be surprised if they give it to Toews

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The greatest Artful Dodger in the NHL...it would be great if every time he stole the puck, he'd quietly say to himself 'Yoink!'

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If we're talking about a single season at their current levels of play, would anyone take Toews over Datsyuk?

I think the only player I'd take over Datsyuk is Crosby.

Right now there are a lot I would take strictly because of age but in their prime for the whole career I take Datsyuk. I think it would be stupid to not take Crosby but man do I hate him a lot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he should win it over Bergeron. Toews is very good defensively, but pretty far behind those two and would look it if not for the United Centers home scoring.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
HFBoards is like a little kid that constantly needs shiny new toys/puppies.

No, HFBoards is not like that at all. You may believe some of the members here fit that criterion however. :)

Dats should win it. He's beyond incredible if you watch what he does every time he's on the ice.

Aug 6, 2012
Talk about impressive stats...

According to BehindtheNet.ca's stats, Datsyuk had a Corsi quality of competition rating of 1.340, second on the team and 19th among all NHL forwards to play at least 30 games, meaning he faced the 19th-toughest competition; of the 18 forwards rated ahead of him, the player with the next-best plus/minus was Josh Bailey of the New York Islanders at plus-7.

A win for Datsyuk would give him four Selke trophies, tied with Gainey for most ever.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i would vote for bergeron.

sort of feels that there is a movement for toews, but i would have him 3rd of these players.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I really think Datsyuk deserves the Selke this year. Toews and Bergeron are really good defensively, no doubt. But look at the supporting cast around Toews and Bergeron, they have defenseman around them that are helping out like Chara and Keith.

Datsyuk +21 teams Goals For/Goals Against +9

Toews +28 teams GF/GA +53

Bergeron +24 team GF/GA +23

I know that plus/minus isn't a "tell all" stat but I think it shows something, that Datsyuk had a huge impact when he was on the ice considering the closest guy on the team to his +/- was Kindl at +15. He does it all, he wins faceoffs, he takes away the puck from the opposition, and most importantly he doesn't let the other team score when he is on the ice. Oh and last but not least, he achieved his plus/minus without that Lidstrom guy around.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I can't understand how he doesn't win it every year. There isn't a player who plays as hard both ways as him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad