Pavel Buchnevich

Top Line Winger?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Buch paced for 33 ES points last season which would have been good for 127th among forwards. He was 159th in ES P/60 and 183rd in 5v5 P/60. He's a below average 2nd liner who can't seem to stay healthy but he's still young so he has upside.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He will be with Panarin and Zibanejad and I think he's a good fit there.

Conventionally, no.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Buch paced for 33 ES points last season which would have been good for 127th among forwards. He was 159th in ES P/60 and 183rd in 5v5 P/60. He's a below average 2nd liner who can't seem to stay healthy but he's still young so he has upside.

I mean this is a horrible way to look at it since he was playing on the 4th line at times. He got deployed like a bottom 6 player.

He could be a nice complimentary piece to 2 top line players

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Voted yes mainly just to **** with your dumb revenge/I told you so poll.

Buchy obviously isn't a "legit" 1st liner who can drive a line, but he's a skilled and pretty solid player. Probably good enough to be a nice complimentary piece on a few 1st lines.

What you really mean is my "I'm clearly right here, and the guy im arguing with is a moron" Poll?

Lol Rags, you guys are going to be fun this year if your time doesn't have success (spoiler alert: they probably wont)

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I mean this is a horrible way to look at it since he was playing on the 4th line at times. He got deployed like a bottom 6 player.

He could be a nice complimentary piece to 2 top line players
Well I don't know how else you would look at it or how else we're supposed to answer this question. I'm just providing stats, take them however you'd like. I know he played up and down the lineup but his most common linemates were Zibanejad, Kreider, Howden and Hayes so he played a lot with the 3 best players on the team and still only managed 26 ES points. When you don't produce on a consistent basis you don't get to cement yourself into the top 6.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Well I don't know how else you would look at it or how else we're supposed to answer this question. I'm just providing stats, take them however you'd like. I know he played up and down the lineup but his most common linemates were Zibanejad, Kreider, Howden and Hayes so he played a lot with the 3 best players on the team and still only managed 26 ES points. When you don't produce on a consistent basis you don't get to cement yourself into the top 6.

He scored at like a 50 point pace last year while playing on a garbage team. That's really not that horrible considering how he has been dealt the past few years. If he doesn't do well after this year then yeah we can probably write him off

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He was 12+10 in the last 30 games last season, almost half of what he played. It's 60 point and 30+ goals pace...

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He was 12+10 in the last 30 games last season, almost half of what he played. It's 60 point and 30+ goals pace...
If you're going to use this as an argument as to why he's a 1st line winger, he's not a 1st line winger.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He scored at like a 50 point pace last year while playing on a garbage team. That's really not that horrible considering how he has been dealt the past few years. If he doesn't do well after this year then yeah we can probably write him off
That 50 point pace was good for 139th best in the NHL. I'm not saying he's a bad player at all, I would take him on the Flyers in a heartbeat but that doesn't mean he's a 1st line player which is what the poll is asking.

Too bad the season is way more than 30 games and only 15 of those were ES points which is a 41 point pace. So at his best 30 game stretch of the season he played at the level of a low end 1st liner. Until he can do that over a 60+ game stretch I'm just not ready to say he's a 1st liner. Again, that doesn't mean he's a bad player, he's just not a top line guy yet.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That 50 point pace was good for 139th best in the NHL. I'm not saying he's a bad player at all, I would take him on the Flyers in a heartbeat but that doesn't mean he's a 1st line player which is what the poll is asking.

Too bad the season is way more than 30 games and only 15 of those were ES points which is a 41 point pace. So at his best 30 game stretch of the season he played at the level of a low end 1st liner. Until he can do that over a 60+ game stretch I'm just not ready to say he's a 1st liner. Again, that doesn't mean he's a bad player, he's just not a top line guy yet.

Well, he was given a chance to play on the 1st line and he played as a 1st liner, that's what most of Rangers fans say about Buch and his last season.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Well, he was given a chance to play on the 1st line and he played as a 1st liner, that's what most of Rangers fans say about Buch and his last season.
Not necessarily. In that 30 game stretch he played 16+ minutes 16 times and 14+ minutes 14 times. He scored 7 points in the 14 games he played fewer than 16 minutes and 8 points in the 16 games he played more than 16 minutes so he really didn't produce any more when he was higher in the lineup. That 41 point ES pace would not be a 1st line pace and that's using his very best stretch of the season.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

There are a lot of players in the NHL that are 1st line players if you stat watch - but aren't actually first line players, and benefit from playing with 2 really good players

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There are a lot of players in the NHL that are 1st line players if you stat watch - but aren't actually first line players, and benefit from playing with 2 really good players
That's true but you already said he can be a good complimentary player if he played with 2 top line guys so he would be exactly the kind of guy you're describing. I just see him as a 2nd liner and there's really nothing wrong with that. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and have a great season, we'll see.

Reactions: bigdog16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad