Pavel Brendl: The Ridiculous Story ("Hot dogs and wieners is the best food for me.")

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
If we sum this up:

The guy loved to sleep in, play golf, overindulge in junk food and booze and do as little as possible besides watching Friends.

He had lived like a retired hockey player before he even turned pro.

Or he was, at least mentally, your usual hey-dude pothead neighbor.

JA

His reputation only worsened in Carolina; Hurricanes fans identified him by the nickname "Krispy Kreme."

http://www.canescountry.com/2009/6/11/904491/pavel-brendl-khl-superstar
Pavel Brendl - KHL Superstar
by Bob Wage Jun 11, 2009, 10:02pm EDT

With all of this talk about some KHL stars possibly returning to the NHL, I looked up the league stat sheet to see where these guys stood. Much to my surprise, who was at the top of the goal scoring heap? None other than ex-Hurricane, Pavel Brendl.

The Hurricanes acquired Brendl from the Philadelphia Flyers back during the 2002-03 season when they traded away fan favorite, Sami Kapanen, in a salary dump move. The deal also included spare parts, Ryan Bast (to the Flyers) and Bruno St. Jacques, (to the Canes). Kapanen was once dubbed, "the fastest skater in the NHL". Little did the Canes know that they would be replacing him with the exact opposite.

The Czech native was an enigma his brief time in the NHL. The New York Rangers selected him fourth overall in the 1999 NHL entry draft. He was a scoring machine in the juniors, knocking in 73 goals and 61 assists in just 68 games in his first season with the Calgary Hitmen. He finished his three year juniors career by scoring an amazing 172 goals in 178 games and had 320 total points. But instead of being a phenom in the big leagues, he turned out to be a dud.

In 2001, the Rangers traded the prospect to the Flyers in a multi-player deal which brought superstar Eric Lindros to Broadway. The Flyers played him 50 games over a two year period before giving up on him, but he played even fewer games for the Canes, (26). In 2003-04 he was eventually sent to the minor leagues where he languished until Carolina traded him in 2005 to Phoenix for Krys Kolanos. (Eventually, Kolanos was included in the trade to the Pens for Mark Recchi).

Word on the street was that the youngster had a very poor work ethic. While he was able to excel using skill alone in the junior league, his skill could not translate to success in the NHL without enough elbow grease to go along with it. His nonchalant, seemingly lazy attitude did not sit well with many fans and some Caniacs nicknamed him "Krispy Kreme" because he was allegedly seen multiple times at the doughnut place in North Raleigh. It also looked like the skater gained some weight, (unconfirmed), during his brief stay in Carolina.

http://cardiaccane.com/2016/11/12/better-know-carolina-hurricanes-pavel-brendl/
Better Know A Carolina Hurricanes: Pavel “Krispy Kreme” Brendl
by Matthew Barlowe
11/12/2016

Like in Philadelphia, Brendl spent the majority of his time switching between the AHL and the NHL club. Brendl spent even less time in the NHL with the Canes than he did with the Flyers. Coaches and the media began to question his commitment to the team. His effort on the ice was questioned along with his diet. It appeared that Brendl put on some weight while he was with the Hurricanes. Several Canes fans noted that he was also a regular at certain donut shops in north Raleigh, leading to the nickname “Krispy Kreme.”

http://redblackhockey.blogspot.ca/2005/09/b-team-canes-lose-in-shootout.html
Monday, September 19, 2005
B-team Canes lose in shootout
Posted by d-lee at 12:16 PM

After decimating the Capitals on Friday night, the Canes sent in a different lineup against the Panthers. On Sunday, we didn't see Rod Brind'Amour, Corey Stillman, Justin Williams, Oleg Tverdovsky, Ray Whitney or Andrew Ladd¹. Those are some pretty key guys to miss, but that's what pre-season is all about; we've gotta give everyone a shot. We already know those guys (except Ladd) are on the team, and we already know about their work. We need to see what everyone else has.

Krispy is absolutely HORRIBLE. I focused on him for a little while, and I watched him hanging out by the Florida blue line, while Florida was down in our end having an unofficial powerplay. I'm not kidding. He was just STANDING there, 100 feet away from the action. He did this on two different occasions. He's a bum. A total bum. Oodles of raw talent, but no drive. We've been overly patient with this guy, and he hasn't paid dividends. We need to relegate him to Lowell, or maybe even release him outright.

http://redblackhockey.blogspot.ca/2005/09/big-joe-shines-again.html
Friday, September 23, 2005
Big Joe shines again
Posted by d-lee at 12:02 PM

Here's a guy with loads of raw talent, but very little desire. I've written this dozens of times. He signed a two-way contract where the disparity was significant. If he had made the big club, he would have made $899,745. Unfortunately for him, he didn't put forth any effort in training camp, so he will make a meager $35,000 playing in Lowell. I'm disappointed in his lack of effort, but relieved that he won't be on the big club, frightening us on a nightly basis. For Brendl, the lack of effort cost him $864,745. In terms that are easier for him to understand, that's 157,226 dozen original glazed doughnuts from Krispy Kreme ¹.

¹ based on the local price of $5.19/dozen plus tax.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=40372&postcount=12
Stats, schmats.

Pavel Brendl is the laziest player I've ever seen. And trust me, I had plenty of opportunity to taunt him ... I mean ... watch him "play" (if that's what you called it) in Lowell.

A friend of mine talks to scouts, and they've told her that he's scored some of the laziest goals they've ever seen (including the laziest hat trick). Yes, maybe he tips a few in, but he doesn't do more than stand in front of the net.

I also heard Kelly Hrudey say (in the game where Pavel got hurt, but the intermission before he got hurt) that the kid was lazy and it looked like he didn't want to play the game. Hrudey said if that was the case, Brendl should get off the ice and leave the slot for someone who does.

There's a good reason why every time the guy hit the ice last year, the Lowell fans all yelled "BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEL".

He's not playing in Lowell this year, and I can't pretend I'm sad to hear it.
http://www.coyotescorner.net/viewtopic.php?p=32458&sid=d736ca7d69013db23e9901af64f61650#p32458
(SCREAMING!!!!) Oh God what was Barnett thinking! Brendl is EXTREMELY LAZY!!! He has the skills but won't do anything, he has absolutely no heart according to everything i've read/heard on him since he arrived on the scene. Example: Kelly hrudey was doing commentary before a hurricanes game last nhl season for cbc and he talked about Brendl and this is almost exactly what he said: "Pavel Brendl has all the tools to be a threat in the NHL but he has quite possibly the worst work ethic I have ever seen. I watched him in the warmup tonight and he didn't even break a sweat, he just stood around and didn't skate or participate in very many of the drills and just took a few shots in the entire warmup. This is when you get ready mentally and physically for the game and he didn't do either, and it's not just tonight that i'm basing this on, this has been the main knock on this guy throughout his career, all the skills but no desire or heart to play the game." That was everything he mentionned but I don't remember how he set it up word by word but i'm very close.
http://www.letsgocanes.com/forum/showthread.php?2454-Game-Thread-Canes-at-Toronto-2-23-04&p=73543#post73543
Pavel, stay down. You're not doing anything tonight, so you might as well take the rest of the night off.

Kelly Hrudey showed, ad nauseum, just how "much" effort Brendl is giving tonight during the first intermission. Pathetic. I hope he's OK, but he needs a wake up call, a kick in the a$$, a ticket back to Lowell, or any combination of those.

Aaryn
Brendl's Hurricanes teammate, Jeff O'Neill, named his dog after him:

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/03/24/nhler-turned-broadcaster-jeff-oneill-tells-it-like-it-is-when-it-comes-to-the-toronto-maple-leafs
NHLer turned broadcaster Jeff O'Neill tells it like it is when it comes to the Toronto Maple Leafs
By Steve Buffery, Toronto Sun
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:32:01 EDT PM

When TSN broadcaster Jeff O’Neill retired following the 2006-07 NHL season, he wondered what he would do for a living.

On the other hand, he named his dog Pavel Brendl after his old Hurricanes’ teammate.

Why Pavel Brendl?

Because the dog is really lazy, said O’Neill with a laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I know it's a lot of work, JetsAlternate, but could you do more of these threads for other enigma prospects? I love reading stories from years past about highly rated prospects and why they didn't pan out. This is great work

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If we sum this up:

The guy loved to sleep in, play golf, overindulge in junk food and booze and do as little as possible besides watching Friends.

He had lived like a retired hockey player before he even turned pro.

Or he was, at least mentally, your usual hey-dude pothead neighbor.

or consider this: vincent lecavalier was the most physically talented player in the '98 draft and reminded people of mario lemieux because he was tall, french, and had some slick hands.

pavel brendl was the most physically talented player in the '99 draft and reminded people of mario lemieux because he was out of shape, ate a steady diet of garbage, slept a lot, and liked to golf.

Tampa could have drafted him, and instead did this:

To VAN: #1 overall
To TB: #4 overall, #75, #88

To NYR: #4 overall
To TB: Dan Cloutier, Niklas Sundstrom, 2000 1st, 2000 3rd

To SJ: Niklas Sundstrom, 2000 3rd
To TB: Andrei Zyuzin, Bill Houlder, Shawn Burr, Steve Guolla

So in the span of six weeks, the #1 pick was turned into three draft picks (including a 1st) and five players.

and then a year and a half later, they traded cloutier for adrian aucoin and a 2001 2nd rounder. too bad they then gave aucoin away for basically nothing and took someone named alexander polushin with the pick (not the best draft but cammalleri and pominville were both within the next 10 picks).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I know it's a lot of work, JetsAlternate, but could you do more of these threads for other enigma prospects? I love reading stories from years past about highly rated prospects and why they didn't pan out. This is great work

Agree, this was a great thread, very informative and entertaining.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Agree, this was a great thread, very informative and entertaining.

Yep. I think another good one would be Fogarty. I know most of the regulars to this part of the site are familiar with his story. But there are a million great quotes about his talent, and what held him back from fulfilling his potential. If I weren't such a lazy S.O.B. I'd make the thread myself haha

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yep. I think another good one would be Fogarty. I know most of the regulars to this part of the site are familiar with his story. But there are a million great quotes about his talent, and what held him back from fulfilling his potential. If I weren't such a lazy S.O.B. I'd make the thread myself haha

Next thing you know, Jeff O'Neill will have a dog named Frozen Jagrt.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
8003711.jpg

Brendl: "Hurry up and take picture so I can get weiners out of equipment bag and roast them on my hockey stick. Mmmmm, roasted weiners."

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Good read! It's interesting how his stock seemed to be in free-fall almost immediately after he was drafted.

That write-up of his poor performance at his first camp with NYR is quite something, they really do a number on him. Hard to imagine a piece like that being written about a prospect today.

Then again a kid with an open aversion to training and working hard and who liked to eat as much junk as he did would probably drop straight out of the first round well before the draft. Amazing how so many issues were just batted aside even though they were staring everybody in the face.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Jagr's work ethic is more than MOST players in the league. The man is insane...I wish I was half as work ethikeee as him.

God given skills, but dumb as a stone, such a waste of talent :facepalm: Should've got a job in a wiener factory...

What's amazing, one of the scouting reports is mentioning him as similar to Jagr, who's never had such issues at all (actually the opposite, Jagr was always a training freak who was working on his parents' farm since being a little kid). It nicely illustrates the picture of Jagr US media was trying to paint in his pre-KHL period - the proverbial Burke's European player.

But to add another story - recently I've read an interview with Jan Caloun (if you remember his cameo for Sharks in 1995/96) who's coaching kids now. He's talking about how he basically killed his own NHL career, because he completely slacked the whole summer of 1996. He believed that after the great start (11 points in 11 games) in San Jose in final games of 95/96 regular season, he's got a guaranteed spot on the team. Instead of training, he spent the summer in leisure/party activities and was a **** in the training camp, resulting in demotion, which he took as an insult. He went back to Europe after that. Now he's emphasizing the need of hard work to kids he's training, not to follow his mistake. Guessing if teams & agents were putting the same amount of work back then as they do now (preparing the summer workout regimen, checking up on the player etc.), there might be some careers following different trajectories.

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
More from the interview:

I mentioned the WJC... The roumor has it the only coach who managed to humble you was Jaroslav Holik.

Well... He used to be a great player, respect paid. Now, he's an old man. His newspaper quotes crack me up. Even the guys who played in the NHL for ten or 15 years, they laugh about his quotes. It seems to me the medias always ask Mr. Holik when they have nothing to write about. So they go and try to stir some dirt.

All I can say is that he didn't humble me. Without his assistant, we wouldn't have made it out of group. Mr. Holik's cell phone rang two minutes until the final whistle in the finals. Right on the bench. And he answered it. So when people say he coached me, I laugh.

Wasn't it him who picked you for the team? Putting the trust in you? You can't deny that, can you?

He took me because he had to. I played so well in the WHL he had no choice.

(Holik later did a quick overview on the careers of his golden kids. His words regarding Brendl were: strange. He basically won that tournament himself. And totally failed in the NHL. Strange.)

You have always been renowned as a big hockey talent but even bigger trouble. Did you try to find out just why certain people don't get along with you?

Honestly, all that gossip about me is 20% true. Hearsay. No-one would ever ask me about reality.

Could it be that you're too open with your negative feelings? That maybe sometimes you utter something that should have stayed in?

Right from the start, my agent in America threatened he would sign me up for acting classes. You can see right through me. Even if I try to act accordingly and say what should be said, everyone knows what I really think anyway.

Have you ever tried doing something about it?

Yeah. But I'm 28 and it doesn't really matter anymore. Whatever I do, all that stuff will be getting recycled forever. If it's written down, it's got to be true. (smirks)

Which part of the gossip infuriates you?

The wiener stuff. That I'm supposed to be this unstoppable hot dog animal. My friends have been laughing about this to this day. Even the ones who never held a hockey stick. Even now, I will still get a message from them here and there.

Ten years ago, around the draft, American journalists already pointed out you were a great player with greater diet problems. They didn't just mention wieners. They wrote about dumplings as well.

There you go! And I hadn't even begun eating dumplings until about three years ago. I hated them! Tastes change though. I'll enjoy a dumpling or two nowadays, but until about 22, I stayed away. (Brendl was 28 at the time of the interview. You do the math.)

So how did they come across that stuff?

It's a mystery to me. You're a journalist so you ought to know. I never even talked to medias.

Do you think it was a smart decision not to communicate with medias at all?

They wrote I was a hot dog animal. Why talk to them? I got publicity anyway.

Perhaps you should have publicly stated all that gossip was just that. Why did you not fight back?

Cause when you fight it, it only gets worse. I let it be. I got the worst of it during 04/05. My reputation was so bad I couldn't get a gig in Europe. I had a falling out with Mr. Henys. I felt sorry about that. It doesn't matter anymore. I had two good years in Sweden, one in Russia. I don't need anybody anymore. I scored over thirty three years in a row. I'm my own agent now. I don't even need the national team. I can live without them. My name serves me well.

Last edited:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
How about the Rangers though?

Traded up to #4 to take the troubled Brendl - a pick that changed hands like 19 times in all the Burke madness. Ended up never playing a game for the Rangers.

We also lost Marc Savard trading up to 9th from 11th to take Jamie Lundmark. Also a horrible bust. Yes, you read that right. We traded Marc Savard to move up two spots.

We should have just ****ing stayed at 11 overall and not gotten involved with the trade madness.

Jesus, people rip on the Jessiman pick and the McIlrath pick but 1999 was right up there for the Rangers. Maybe worse.

Please, just keep us out of the top 10 forever.

At least Brendl was a key part of the Lindros trade so you got something.

The Flames traded Savard for Ruslan Zainullin supposedly because the coach didn't like him, then the coach was fired maybe a dozen games later.

But man the Brendl/Moran years with the Hitmen were something. Also on that team was another '99 draft bust Kris Beech.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
or consider this: vincent lecavalier was the most physically talented player in the '98 draft and reminded people of mario lemieux because he was tall, french, and had some slick hands.

pavel brendl was the most physically talented player in the '99 draft and reminded people of mario lemieux because he was out of shape, ate a steady diet of garbage, slept a lot, and liked to golf.

:laugh:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Jeff O'Neill's tweet is just gold. As for the comments Kelly Hrudey made about Brendl, I presume it was pre-season, as Pavel Brendl never played a regular-season shift for Carolina (spending most of his time with Lowell and later San Antonio after being traded to Phoenix, where he became a Group 6 UFA after the season and never returned to North America. If only he listened to coaches and then-captain Ron Francis (before the lockout), who was playing hard despite being in the twilight of his career and more than 1700 NHL games under his belt, and adhered to a physical regimen, he would have had a long NHL career. It's just too bad that people didn't pay attention to his laziness, which would have caused Brendl to free-fall through the draft. But who else was on the Rangers' radar?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Jeff O'Neill's tweet is just gold. As for the comments Kelly Hrudey made about Brendl, I presume it was pre-season, as Pavel Brendl never played a regular-season shift for Carolina (spending most of his time with Lowell and later San Antonio after being traded to Phoenix, where he became a Group 6 UFA after the season and never returned to North America.

Uh, yeah he did play for the Hurricanes. Albeit only 26 games over two seasons.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Could you compare him to Kirill Kabanov? Seems like he was a semi-similar case to Brendl.

I remember Kabanov's draft year, he was insanely hyped, had world class talent, excellent shot.. but in the end it just didn't work out for him.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Could you compare him to Kirill Kabanov? Seems like he was a semi-similar case to Brendl.

I remember Kabanov's draft year, he was insanely hyped, had world class talent, excellent shot.. but in the end it just didn't work out for him.

I don't know about that. Brendl at least had the numbers. Led the WHL in goals and points.

Kabanov's sample size in his draft year was tiny, but still pretty underwhelming (PPG in the Q for 25-odd games).

If Kabanov had dominated the Q in scoring but had the red flags about his attendance it'd be one thing...but he had both working against him.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If Kabanov had dominated the Q in scoring but had the red flags about his attendance it'd be one thing...

Frankly, low attendance should not be held against any player, only against the franchise or the GM.

:teach:

Sorry, that one was too good to pass up on. :baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad