Recalled/Assigned: Paul Thompson called up from AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Yup, the pretender Panthers losing to the pretender Islanders in the first freaking round. Losing to the notorious 1st round chokers and on top of that we had home ice advantage, absolutely ZERO excuse from both the players and the coaches, even with the crap officiating.

People complain that we broke up this amazing team, you don't get that label unless you go deep in the playoffs and that still doesn't make you a great team, you need to do it multiple times and/or have one Stanley Cup to show for it. I'll keep saying it, remember the 2011-12 season? We won the division too, we brought the Stanley Cup Finalist NJ Devils to 7 games and OT, everything looked extremely promising to carry over into next year too......remind me again what happened after that? Dead last place finish in the standings and followed it up with a 29th place finish to prove we meant business. :shakehead Speak of the Devil (pun intended), how did New Jersey do after they went to the Finals? Out of the playoffs, just like where the current Islanders that beat us last season sit themselves. So spare me the "everything would have stayed the same" business.

I did not wait 5 straight years and listen to all the hype about a blueprint and how character was going to win us a Cup, only to watch us get stopped by a freaking backup goaltender. A Failure is a failure and I am still pissed off the best we could do was trade for Kindl, Purcell and Hudler knowing Jagr and Luongo are nearing retirement. We missed our best chance to win big, now practically every team in the league is competitive and next year expansion is going to make even more quality players unavailable for us.

Rational thoughts are not welcome here.

Stop being a management yes man...

:sarcasm:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yeah you're right. Analytics is really working out for us. lol. What a joke. Let's use numbers and forget about heart, grit and determination. I'm positive this organization will never win a playoff series with this management in place. It's a guarantee.

Yes analytisc are working well. Marchessault is doing fantastic and he was an analytic darling. Sceviour is playing well, very good analytics. Yandle, Pysyk and Demers are all having really good seasons and had great analytics. Kindl had great analytics and he's terrible. So not a bad batting average.

The problem with the team is that every forwards not name Marchessault, Barkov, Sceviour or Malgin are under performing. Smith, Jokinen, Bjugstad, et al. were here before the "analytic take over". They should bear the brunt of the criticism.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yup, the pretender Panthers losing to the pretender Islanders in the first freaking round. Losing to the notorious 1st round chokers and on top of that we had home ice advantage, absolutely ZERO excuse from both the players and the coaches, even with the crap officiating.

People complain that we broke up this amazing team, you don't get that label unless you go deep in the playoffs and that still doesn't make you a great team, you need to do it multiple times and/or have one Stanley Cup to show for it. I'll keep saying it, remember the 2011-12 season? We won the division too, we brought the Stanley Cup Finalist NJ Devils to 7 games and OT, everything looked extremely promising to carry over into next year too......remind me again what happened after that? Dead last place finish in the standings and followed it up with a 29th place finish to prove we meant business. :shakehead Speak of the Devil (pun intended), how did New Jersey do after they went to the Finals? Out of the playoffs, just like where the current Islanders that beat us last season sit themselves. So spare me the "everything would have stayed the same" business.

I did not wait 5 straight years and listen to all the hype about a blueprint and how character was going to win us a Cup, only to watch us get stopped by a freaking backup goaltender. A Failure is a failure and I am still pissed off the best we could do was trade for Kindl, Purcell and Hudler knowing Jagr and Luongo are nearing retirement. We missed our best chance to win big, now practically every team in the league is competitive and next year expansion is going to make even more quality players unavailable for us.

Great post.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yes analytisc are working well. Marchessault is doing fantastic and he was an analytic darling. Sceviour is playing well, very good analytics. Yandle, Pysyk and Demers are all having really good seasons and had great analytics. Kindl had great analytics and he's terrible. So not a bad batting average.

The problem with the team is that every forwards not name Marchessault, Barkov, Sceviour or Malgin are under performing. Smith, Jokinen, Bjugstad, et al. were here before the "analytic take over". They should bear the brunt of the criticism.

Don't forget smith.

There seems to be a willful ignorance to the success of using analytics but not any of the failures

People still don't understand it's a component of decision making. Not the only thing they use. Otherwise they'd fire the scouts.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

They tried to emulate the Pens when with their roster they should have brought in players to emulate the Kings. Front office gets blame for not playing to the team's strengths.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
^ Hey, life is unfair....that's just the way it is.

The Pens were for sale before bringing in a Rutherford. A team that was a consistent playoff team since winning it all in 2009 was for sale because they saw a very bleak future with 2 aging super stars + All Star caliber Kunitz and LeTang + a bloated payroll. Yeah Rutherford, a guy who had success early on as GM with the Hurricanes and sucked a number of years before finally leaving.

The main changes were the addition of Kessel and Haglin. These were hardly guys that you would expect to help the team do a 180, but then again maybe they were as the team was a playoff caliber club. Then of course the upload of a few good players from the AHL and their coach......vuala!......Stanley Cup Champions again.

The cinderella story this year seems to be the Blue Jackets. Last year a doormat that finished 4th from the bottom. This year they are playing like contenders for the Cup. Same coach, pretty much the same lineup, but why the transformation?

Then you have the Rangers that got pounded by the Pens 4-1 in the first round. They make some trades, steal other teams NCAA draft picks (Hayes & Vesey) and they are right back in the thick of it.

So you see, you can never predict what is going to happen from year to year. I am willing to give mgt a pass on building a puck moving, quick transition team that takes advantage of the present NHL rules. Can't do it all in one year, but I firmly believe they are on the right track for 2018-19. :)

This post has been filed in the "Grounded to reality section" :handclap:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
They tried to emulate the Pens when with their roster they should have brought in players to emulate the Kings. Front office gets blame for not playing to the team's strengths.

Poor man Pens or poor man Kings, still would have been a pale copy. Kings in their 2 Cup run had 4 dmen with more than 20 points. Last year we had 2. So we needed to improve there if you wanted to emulate the Kings.

Either way, whoever you try to copy, if the dman that's suppose to be your #1 is playing like a 7th, you will be in trouble.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
From where I am standing I see more of a dysfunctional team, where most of the players are unable to function to their expectations on their own and that translate to a team that is just going through the motions.

I agree with many here that the wholesale changes have created a systemic issue where most of the players are unable to perform to the best of their abilities, the changes were made with the mind set to built a faster team where the defense would play a major roll, but they never considered the impact on the remaining players, or how this players would adjust to the new system, it looked a lot better on paper but the reality has left us with a team that most of the nights look very average.

Sure, have we not lost Huber and Bjugstad to injury so early would have us maybe 2-3 wins above from where we are, but what we have right now is a team that does not look that impressive and I do not think that management have any answers right now, short of trading 1 or 2 assets.
management played their hand so bad that now they are going to be forced to make changes that might go against the grain not to their liking.

Worst part of it, the league is watching, they want to make a case for or against analytics, and we are ground zero.

Think about this guys, what if we fail? what then?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
In the end, nobody that we will be calling up has the abilities to replace Huberdeau...

The straw that stirs the drink, and THE playmaker that makes our whole offense goes.

A lot of posters around here are overlooking that...

Glad Paul Thompson gets a chance with the big club, looking forward to see what he can bring !

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
In the end, nobody that we will be calling up has the abilities to replace Huberdeau...

The straw that stirs the drink, and THE playmaker that makes our whole offense goes.

A lot of posters around here are overlooking that...

Glad Paul Thompson gets a chance with the big club, looking forward to see what he can bring !

Yup, if we had a 50-60 point playmaker, it's hard to believe we don't have two or three more wins, which would put us in a playoff spot. Gotta think he helps Barkov and Jagr get a few more goals than they have.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Absolute joke of a post.. we went into playoffs with our number 1 d and our number1c and huby trocheck bjugstad all huge pieces without a single game of playoff experience.. that matters.. a lot.. to expect they can just walk in and win a round is naive As ****... they were a young team making tremendous strides... this wasn't an old team that consistently couldn't get it done in the playoffs.. they just started their journey.. bringing up 11-12 is also another complete joke of a comparison for obvious reasons that don't need an explanation.. this is about as uneducated a post as u can get

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I don't think anyone said we had an amazing team last year. Not recently anyway. I know some people were getting carried away last season with out 12 game winning streak. Anyway, I believe the biggest complaint is blowing the blueprint and team up from last year. Some of that was necessary (Campbell not wanting to re-sign here). And some of those moves have been good (Pysyk). Last years team seemed to be on the right track, and with a few tweaks here and there could have been better. Instead we've changed direction, and so far, it doesn't look good. Hopefully it comes around, but understandably people are concerned and frustrated.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

He is! Yikes! We're in more trouble than I thought if he is having a real good season.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Poor man Pens or poor man Kings, still would have been a pale copy. Kings in their 2 Cup run had 4 dmen with more than 20 points. Last year we had 2. So we needed to improve there if you wanted to emulate the Kings.

Either way, whoever you try to copy, if the dman that's suppose to be your #1 is playing like a 7th, you will be in trouble.

Right, but I feel like it would have been easier continuing the way they were going. You have Jagr and Jokinen in your top 6, it shouldn't be surprising that they are struggling playing that way.

I agree on Ekblad though. I mean everyone thought he was overpaid and he was babied a bit, but who saw this happening? The decline has been scary.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Absolute joke of a post.. we went into playoffs with our number 1 d and our number1c and huby trocheck bjugstad all huge pieces without a single game of playoff experience.. that matters.. a lot.. to expect they can just walk in and win a round is naive As ****... they were a young team making tremendous strides... this wasn't an old team that consistently couldn't get it done in the playoffs.. they just started their journey.. bringing up 11-12 is also another complete joke of a comparison for obvious reasons that don't need an explanation.. this is about as uneducated a post as u can get

You disagree so its stupid. I gotcha.

:shakehead

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Anyone actually want to talk about the topic of this thread? Anyone? No?

Oh well then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad