Paul Reinhart?

Mar 12, 2009
Paul Reinhart - Wikipedia

Why did this guy stop after only 11 seasons? I had never heard of him and was shocked to see that he was a defenseman with those numbers, they are excellent for a defenseman.

So why did he quit? If he was healthy he could have played a good number more seasons, Wikipedia doesn't have the answer so I thought I would ask here.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
That's too bad, I think his name would be known a lot more if he'd have been able to play longer, thanks for the info.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reinhart was an elite player who was let down by a bum back.

He is the same age is Larry Murphy and was probably a better player than Murphy when both were active. Selected to the '81 Canada Cup team at the age of 21, then turned down invites to the '84 and '87 Canada Cup teams because he didn't want to put extra strain on his weak back.

Absolutely elite skill defender. Probably the most skilled defender in the NHL during the mid-1980s outside of Coffey and maybe Bourque. Incredible vision from the point, ability to contol the game with his skill and patience.

During his last 2 years in Vancouver, he was still elite but couldn't dress for back-to-back games. Finally packed it in just prior to the 1990-91 season.

Wasn't a world-beater in his own zone but was on par with Murphy and much better than Housley.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Reinhart was an elite player who was let down by a bum back.

He is the same age is Larry Murphy and was probably a better player than Murphy when both were active. Selected to the '81 Canada Cup team at the age of 21, then turned down invites to the '84 and '87 Canada Cup teams because he didn't want to put extra strain on his weak back.

Absolutely elite skill defender. Probably the most skilled defender in the NHL during the mid-1980s outside of Coffey and maybe Bourque. Incredible vision from the point, ability to contol the game with his skill and patience.

During his last 2 years in Vancouver, he was still elite but couldn't dress for back-to-back games. Finally packed it in just prior to the 1990-91 season.

Wasn't a world-beater in his own zone but was on par with Murphy and much better than Housley.
Completely agree.
One of the most underrated players of alltime. In fact i think he was my choice in a thread in that category here a few years back.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Even with the bum back and limited playing time, Reinhart is probably the best defenseman the Canucks ever had (short term) and arguably in their top 5 overall (career-wise).

Which all speaks volumes about how good Reinhart was, and how mediocre the Canucks D has been.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I lived in Calgary during his years there, and loved watching him play. It's a shame he missed out on the cup they got, as he left a year or so before. He deserved to sip some champagne from that sucker.

SCORE4

Sep 20, 2008
Calgary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Reinhart

Why did this guy stop after only 11 seasons? I had never heard of him and was shocked to see that he was a defenseman with those numbers, they are excellent for a defenseman.

So why did he quit? If he was healthy he could have played a good number more seasons, Wikipedia doesn't have the answer so I thought I would ask here.

He had one ridiculous OHL season with my hometown Kitchener Rangers.

Reinhart was better than MacInnis or Suter .... Too bad his injury slowed him down so much .... Reinhart, MacInnis, Suter, Macrimmon, Ramage .... what a defence that could have been ....

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I've seen clips of Reinhart play but wow these are lofty praises indeed. How does he compare to a guy like Mark Howe. And how did he fare in the Norris votes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad