Paul Ranger...what are his intentions?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think there is only 2 things that could be going on right now. Im very surprised the media isnt looking into what he plans to do. Talent is not the issue, I believe he is better than Fraser who is up with the big club.

1) There could be mutual interest in waiting out the season to make sure Ranger is ready to re-commit the next several years in the NHL.

2) He wants to become a free agent and maximize the money he would make next year from the highest bidder and or they disagree on his contract value/term right now.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
He wants to play for Toronto. He lives here. He wants one full year in AHL and will sign with the big club next year

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I think there is only 2 things that could be going on right now. Im very surprised the media isnt looking into what he plans to do. Talent is not the issue, I believe he is better than Fraser who is up with the big club.

1) There could be mutual interest in waiting out the season to make sure Ranger is ready to re-commit the next several years in the NHL.

2) He wants to become a free agent and maximize the money he would make next year from the highest bidder and or they disagree on his contract value/term right now.

I read somewhere that he wants to bring up his game to be a top-4 defenseman which he feels he has not yet attained. Does not want to be a spare part if he makes the move to the NHL. Also he is comfortable right now playing for the Marlies and involved with a youth team near where he lives. Seems the Leafs are willing to accommodate his wishes and are probably hoping this gesture is appreciated when it comes to the NHL. He is already a free agent insofar as the NHL is concerned, able to sign with any one. Everyone walks to his own drummer and his story is actually refreshing....wishing him well in his hockey future.

JackBurton

Jun 30, 2010
He wants to play for Toronto. He lives here. He wants one full year in AHL and will sign with the big club next year

I would tend to agree. He may just want to be sure that he's ready physically, mentally, and emotionally to play hockey at its highest levels again. After quitting the NHL at such a young age, he may also want to make sure his heart is in it, that he actually wants to work and play again, as to not sign a contract and then disappear a second time.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
He missed playing, but it's entirely possible he doesn't want to go back to the NHL again. He might well be perfectly happy being low-key playin competitive but comparatively invisible hockey with the Marlies, rather than the different social life and fan/media spotlight of the NHL.

Whatever he ends up doing - even if it does end up being a ressurected NHL career - he's earned my respect.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
He has a concussion right now I believe. So I'm guessing he'll be out of the Marlies line up for awhile.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
My guess is Ranger is playing one year in the AHL to get his game back. Then next year he will move to the NHL to the team offering the best opportunity.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
OP sounds like an overprotective dad, what are your intentions towards my Maple Leafs Mr. Ranger? lol, I'm guessing it's a remnant from Brian Berard's defection.

I have no knowledge, but it sounds like he missed hockey after quitting and is taking it slow, he'll play Marlies to see if he can commit to a full season of professional hockey and all the stuff that I'm assuming Ranger doesn't like that goes with it. If he's still happy he'll sign where he's happy. I'd say the odds are good that he wants to play where he lives (meaning for the Leafs), but IMO he owes us nothing. If he decides he wants to play in the KHL or Miami or wherever, that's fine with me. I really respect Ranger for making some tough choices while trying to be happy. Of course, in some ways I find it incomprehensible (playing professional hockey sounds like a nice gig to me), but I still respect the hell out anyone who can make tough choices like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad