Confirmed with Link: Paul Ranger signs with Toronto (1 year, $1 million)

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I don't know what his "personal reasons" were, but he quit on the team. Since we don't know what went on, I may be wrong, but if he wanted to leave he should've waited till the end of the season or gave some explanation when he came back. I won't boo, but I have little respect for his actions.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
I think Paul deserved to be boo'd mightily. Listen, I can respect a man's privacy. I don't need the gory details about whatever it was that was bothering him. But we, the fans and his former employers, at least deserved a straight answer on why he abandoned the team. We were the ones who paid his contract which allowed him the luxury to find himself, or tend to family problems, or get over an addiction, or whatever it was. You know what would happen if I just quit on work? I'd be homeless and starving within half a year.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
I think Paul deserved to be boo'd mightily. Listen, I can respect a man's privacy. I don't need the gory details about whatever it was that was bothering him. But we, the fans and his former employers, at least deserved a straight answer on why he abandoned the team. We were the ones who paid his contract which allowed him the luxury to find himself, or tend to family problems, or get over an addiction, or whatever it was. You know what would happen if I just quit on work? I'd be homeless and starving within half a year.

Exactly this.

Had he retired completely sure its different, he doesn't need to say a word.

But to wait till he becomes a UFA, sign with the Marlies, then with Toronto. Absolute kick in the teeth. If Toronto was the only place he wanted to play im sure a deal could have been made, I mean hell when Gagne only wanted to come to Tampa, Philly still got a 4th.

Nothing has ever been said, and given he was probably my second favourite player, behind Lecavalier (I was a big fan of Downie too, and Thor, I should probably start favouring Brewer or Malone if history is anything to go by :laugh:), so I am slightly more annoyed I find it so disrespectful. I dont need details, I just wanted an explanation, or hell something.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I personally don't need a straight answer, as I think the topic has been talked through to my satisfaction in the Paul Ranger thread, but I understand how others would finally want a straight answer and quite honestly I don't see how he can avoid it if the media decides to really go after him, and they will if he, and the team, doesn't do well enough.

Last edited:

Pontius Palat

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm not often one to raise up a fuss about using "we" in regards to favourite hockey teams, but I think claiming that you were his employer is quite absurd.

I mean, I'd love to say that Stamkos works for me, but still...

And as for Ranger I'm sure he went through some tough ****. And while he left rather unprofessionally, it's not like we lost anything too special. If he was more Justin Schultz calibre or something then it'd be quite different.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Hope he does well, except when we play the Leafs. Whatever it was that caused him to leave the game of hockey for awhile, it had to be important. You can't really make it to the NHL without loving the game. Glad to see he's worked through it and is ready to give the game another shot.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm not often one to raise up a fuss about using "we" in regards to favourite hockey teams, but I think claiming that you were his employer is quite absurd.

And as for Ranger I'm sure he went through some tough ****. And while he left rather unprofessionally, it's not like we lost anything too special. If he was more Justin Schultz calibre or something then it'd be quite different.
Well, he was something special to us back when. He played up to 25 minutes per night and put up solid stats (in both point production and advanced stats) on mediocre to terrible Lightning teams.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
Exactly. He was a prime top 4 dman for us. If he doesn't quit we would have been in so much better shape defensively, maybe not even having to trade for Brewer the next year.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South

We can agree to disagree, but if not his employer we are all certainly his bankroll. I live three states away and have spent at least $1000 on the Lightning over the past several seasons and a similar amount over Paul's tenure in Tampa. We the fans are the reason these guys make millions of dollars to play a game. Does this relationship mean they need to give up all privacy? Certainly not. But, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an answer as to why he completely bailed on the team.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I think the people that need to know, know. Just because he's a sports figure in the community doesn't mean you and I have a right to know about his personal life. I think it speaks to the integrity of Yzerman and the organization that they've respected his privacy and let him focus on his personal life. I don't think he even collected a check on our dime. He was paid for his performance on the ice and that's all. Didn't he return a portion of his salary and not collect for the remainder of his contract(obviously)?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Everything was just way to convenient for how this story unfolded. No respect for him regardless of what the actual problem was. A professional plays through it and certainly doesn't abandon his sports family.

Sorry but I hope he fails miserably and if that's wrong then so be it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Everything was just way to convenient for how this story unfolded. No respect for him regardless of what the actual problem was. A professional plays through it and certainly doesn't abandon his sports family.

Sorry but I hope he fails miserably and if that's wrong then so be it.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Can you explain what you mean by this?

He decides out of nowhere he doesn't want to play hockey anymore.

Just days after his rights being held by TB expire and he is officially an UFA he has a change of heart and wants to try a comeback.

Signs with Marlies.

Signs with Toronto.

Lot of coincidence IMO. Could just be that but sure looks fishy.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He decides out of nowhere he doesn't want to play hockey anymore.

Just days after his rights being held by TB expire and he is officially an UFA he has a change of heart and wants to try a comeback.

Signs with Marlies.

Signs with Toronto.

Lot of coincidence IMO. Could just be that but sure looks fishy.

Couldn't agree more. I may be the only one to give him a few boo's his first time back, but I don't care. In my opinion he deserves it for his lack of professionalism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad