Confirmed with Link: Paul McFarland hired as Kingston (OHL) Head Coach. Will depart Leafs after Season (Upd: and new GM)

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Boudreau would be seen as the next coach in waiting. Keefe is clearly Dubas' guy, if Keefe is being tossed than there's probably a new GM making that call.

Boudreau is obviously a passionate Leafs fan. Why not come here for a year or two, get paid way more than any assistant (I bet we'd be in the same ballpark as what he made as HC for the Wild) and wait for the perfect opportunity to be a head coach again somewhere else when it opens up? Obviously this is only if he doesn't see a good fit out there right now, but I could see us being an attractive stopgap for him.

Agree with everything minus the remuneration bit. With gate sales taking a massive hit, I don't see any organizations spending frivolously quite like that - including the Leafs. If he comes, it will be purely a hockey/passion for his favourite team-like decision.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think the writing is in the sky both the Leafs organization and Boudreau are waiting to get that cup for a while; it may be destiny for Bruce to come coach is favourite team all the way to the cup.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I think Bruce wants to be HC.

No doubt this team would be fun to watch with him as HC, but doubt they'd make a real run to the cup.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
When you've never been a coach in the NHL, the hardest way to get in is being an assistant. You're way better off being a head coach somewhere else and working your way up. Mcfarland tried the assistant coach role in Florida and here, and probably decided that he wasn't gaining enough traction in the pursuit of a head coaching job for him to stay in that type of role. He went back to a place he was comfortable to try and reset.

Honestly I would have offered him the Marlies role as I'm not a fan of Moore, but it was probably the best move he could have made. Look no further than Steve Spott. Went from the Marlies head coach that made the conference finals, to Leafs assistant, and now 6 years later is still waiting for a head coaching gig somewhere.

Ordinarily, sure, but being an assistant to Babcock works out pretty well. e.g. McLellan, Blashill, Smith.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Seems like there wasn’t a choice there eh

Sounds about right.

Although, getting to be both the gm and head coach of an ohl team has gotta be close to if not equal with assistant coach of an nhl team.

Re your above post: would be cool to get bruce to help coach. Might be able to teach keefe a couple of things

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would say so. Maybe he thinks he will get more recognition as a head coach at a lower level than work under someone?
Not really. You are way more likely to jump from NHL assistant to NHL head coach, than OHL coach to NHL head coach. Almost all NHL hires for coaches are either a former head coach who is currently unemployed, an NHL assistant or a successful AHL coach. I think the only NHL coaches who came straight from junior in the last decade was Dale Hunter briefly with the Capitals, and Mike Johnson. Career-wise this is a sizable step-down.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sounds like... Rather do OHL than work with you Kyle, see ya at the beach cool guy.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Sounds like... Rather do OHL than work with you Kyle, see ya at the beach cool guy.

How the hell do you figure that? But considering your occupation/location.......

Maybe NHL life wasn't for him. He has a couple young kids, and the perks were nice, but travel is much less being an OHL coach, and no doubt easier on the family life. I was talking to McFarland's father-in-law (I've known him for quite a while, before McFarland's days as Windsor Spitfire) before the original announcement was made, and this move didn't surprise me really.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
MATT LEYDEN TROPHY (OHL COACH OF THE YEAR)
2017/18 – Drew Bannister (Soo Greyhounds)

Why go outside the circle? :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad