News Article: Paul Martin - "Thank You, Pittsburgh" (Players Tribune)

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/paul-martin-pittsburgh-penguins-letter/

pm6.gif

Nice read. Thanks PaulMart.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is in the media thread but good call. I think a lot of people will like the article / miss it in the other thread. Also there is no threat of finding a Rossi-ism in here.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
It first came out in the Around the NHL thread but i guess it had to have its own thread, good read & class act by Martin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sucks that our cap crunch makes us have to lose him. Honestly with both Despres and Harrington gone, I would've taken him at a higher cap hit with less term.

One of the most underrated defensemen in the league, and I wouldn't be surprised if him and Burns tear it up next year. r

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Martin is such a class act. I'm genuinely sad to see him go but I understand why it had to happen. Good luck in San Jose, Paul.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
His cap hit's only 4.85, I just saw. That's pretty reasonable. I'm actually proud of the management group for not signing him. I doubt Martin would have chosen the Sharks over us if the money was the same. Sharks are in worse shape.

His game will allow him to play at a pretty high level throughout that contract, IMO. Wish him well.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Martin is always one of my favorite player to listen being interviewed.
And now I can't watch Scuderi without thinking Spumoni! Spumoni!

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
He had his ups and down like pretty much every other player. I am going to miss him, but time moves on. Hope he does well.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Had a really bad first year, but after that, he was probably the best Dman on the roster. Good luck in SJ!

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I liked that Spumoni story a lot, and thanks Martin for everything. Just a great guy.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Great read. Great guy. I am now kind of a Sharks fan. Would of liked to have you back but it is what it is.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
This is always going to be one of my favorite gifs. Its so simple, but so perfect. For that, Paul Martin, I will always remember you fondly.

Also, you were pretty good at hockey.

Someone on a less-traveled Pens fansite i frequent made that gif... Definitely the high point of our existence

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Always respected Martin. he was drastically undervalued here. early on he went through that phase so many that come re do where he tried so hard to impress offensively that he kind of flubbed the rest of his game. once he played to his strengths he was solid.

I am sorry we didn't move him last deadline. it was obvious the team wasn't winning and we could have gotten a nice return for him. but that was all from a pure longterm view... I really liked him as a player

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We will miss him greatly, this season specifically. Hopefully the young guys can fill his shoes. Dumo has a lot of the same qualities as Paul, so hopefully he can move into being that kind of defenseman.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I never liked his signing, Shero wasted valuable cap space on a very average defenseman. I'm glad this nightmare is finally over with.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Very dependable and capable player. The Pens defense will be interesting to watch this year, certainly could have used Martin for one more year. Hope he keeps on playing the way he does with the Sharks.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We just lost part of the American Dream....

Good luck, PM.

pghkev should be stricken from the record.

Poor..... form,Poor form.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
We just lost part of the American Dream....

Good luck, PM.

pghkev should be stricken from the record.

Poor..... form,Poor form.

Really, speaking the truth is somehow considered wrong? Martin was among the first in long line of bad decisions by Ray Shero. I thought we should have traded him for the last 3 years. We would have shed cap and maybe got something that could actually help this team win. Instead, we kept the family together and we made the playoffs by one game last year.

Good riddance.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I never liked his signing, Shero wasted valuable cap space on a very average defenseman. I'm glad this nightmare is finally over with.

How many "average" defenseman can play 25 minutes of mistake free hockey while being a well above average puck mover?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad