Confirmed with Link: Paul Martin signs-4 year deal / AAV $4.85m

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
FFS. Marleau doubled any one of the young forwards production in a down year for him.

Several young players pushing Marleau down… Common.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
We could have gotten Rinne, he could have gotten hit by a bus and our goalie situation might not be solved. For all intents and purposes our goalie situation is resolved until proven otherwise.

And I care about this why? 3 years is a long time from now with plenty of options and an increased CAP down the line.

I guess I shouldn't be amazed by all the complaints about DW finally doing something in FA. Damned if you do and all that...

Sometimes I'm surprised some of you leave the house with all the terrible things that could happen to you out there :sarcasm:

My point is that people are declaring the goaltending issues solved, while I think that has yet to be proven by Jones. It's fine to be optimistic, but there should be a basis for it as noted above.

My complaints about Wilson go well beyond these couple of UFA signings, and I'm just quibbling about Ward and Martin. My biggest complaint has been his tradition of trading away high draft picks for many years running. The results have been poor for the Sharks, and their prospect outlook is weak. This is born out by the marginal performance by their farm teams--not surprisingly.

As for leaving the house, the world will keep spinning if the Sharks do poorly. Won't affect my life at all.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
My point is that people are declaring the goaltending issues solved, while I think that has yet to be proven by Jones. It's fine to be optimistic, but there should be a basis for it as noted above.

There is reason for optimism as has been noted here many times. You don't pay a goalie 3x3M for no reason.

My complaints about Wilson go well beyond these couple of UFA signings, and I'm just quibbling about Ward and Martin. My biggest complaint has been his tradition of trading away high draft picks for many years running. The results have been poor for the Sharks, and their prospect outlook is weak. This is born out by the marginal performance by their farm teams--not surprisingly.

Ah, a DW hater. Nevermind.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

As for leaving the house, the world will keep spinning if the Sharks do poorly. Won't affect my life at all.

If your going to knock Wilson, i think you are really missing the mark here. His trading of picks is exactly what every cup winner has done prior to winning a cup. He didn't succeed, but we were not the only team who failed. Some of those teams actually failed and then DID win a cup. If your measure for success is only a cup or not, that's really not fair as there are a lot of factors Wilson simply isn't in control of that limited him in that regard. He made some bad trades, but even the worst ones were not totally devastating to the team (we didn't trade away any franchise players, closest is probably MaxPac). He's done more good than harm as far as trades and drafting goes. We are one of the best drafting teams in the league, and DW deserves a LOT of credit for that.

If you want to knock him, knock him because of his apparently total lack of understanding that a farm teams success is critical to the success of the organization. You need to be bringing players up in a culture of winning, not treating your farm team like a parking lot. Not firing Sommer long ago is a big part of that. Meddling in the coaching, and interfering directly with the players are major, major red flags.

Wilson at this point should probably remain as president of the team, but the Sharks should hire someone else as the player facing GM. Wilson has burnt his bridges and done so in such a way that I have a tough time excusing him for any of it. He seems to make emotional decisions, and generally bad ones (including knee jerk trades) and that is a problem. He needs to step out of that role and stay in a more administrative role like President. He likely doesn't want that because my bet is he wants to win a cup as a GM, but that's still probably what would be best for the team.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Where is the evidence over meddling with coaching and interferring with players? Aside from his little tiff with JT?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Where is the evidence over meddling with coaching and interferring with players? Aside from his little tiff with JT?

Nothing definitive, because there never is, but there have been quite a few reports that Wilson wanted Pav's made captain and TMac refused. Also that Wilson didn't want Burns at forward and forced the issue last year. There was also some signs that Wilson didn't agree with some of TMac's line up decisions and thus kept waiving and sending player down he didn't want TMac putting on the ice anymore.

It's all speculation of course, but there is quite a bit of it, so where there is smoke there is fire. Unless TMac decides to say something at some point, we'll likely never know for sure.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
FFS. Marleau doubled any one of the young forwards production in a down year for him.

Oh, OK. I guess I should hope Nieto continues to not score and Hertl gets injured again. Is that better for you?

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Oh, OK. I guess I should hope Nieto continues to not score and Hertl gets injured again. Is that better for you?

Nieto often played on a line with Marleau and Hertl got his start on the top line with Thornton. You'd still need a couple more of those meddling kids to put up 60 points to push Marleau down. Does that seem conceivable to you? Who do you have in mind?

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
If your going to knock Wilson, i think you are really missing the mark here. His trading of picks is exactly what every cup winner has done prior to winning a cup. He didn't succeed, but we were not the only team who failed. Some of those teams actually failed and then DID win a cup. If your measure for success is only a cup or not, that's really not fair as there are a lot of factors Wilson simply isn't in control of that limited him in that regard. He made some bad trades, but even the worst ones were not totally devastating to the team (we didn't trade away any franchise players, closest is probably MaxPac). He's done more good than harm as far as trades and drafting goes. We are one of the best drafting teams in the league, and DW deserves a LOT of credit for that.

If you want to knock him, knock him because of his apparently total lack of understanding that a farm teams success is critical to the success of the organization. You need to be bringing players up in a culture of winning, not treating your farm team like a parking lot. Not firing Sommer long ago is a big part of that. Meddling in the coaching, and interfering directly with the players are major, major red flags.

Wilson at this point should probably remain as president of the team, but the Sharks should hire someone else as the player facing GM. Wilson has burnt his bridges and done so in such a way that I have a tough time excusing him for any of it. He seems to make emotional decisions, and generally bad ones (including knee jerk trades) and that is a problem. He needs to step out of that role and stay in a more administrative role like President. He likely doesn't want that because my bet is he wants to win a cup as a GM, but that's still probably what would be best for the team.

I'm interested to know what you consider to be knee-jerk moves that he has made, because I completely disagree on that. One of the things that I like about Wilson is that he is not emotional and does not make knee-jerk moves.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm interested to know what you consider to be knee-jerk moves that he has made, because I completely disagree on that. One of the things that I like about Wilson is that he is not emotional and does not make knee-jerk moves.

That's the one thing I was gonna respond to, but didn't have the energy to debate at the time he posted.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

He doesn't do knee jerk trades. Most of his trades do actually fix holes that the sharks have. But unfortunately for him either he didn't realize the trade he made opened up another hole on the roster or just could not find the right piece to fill that hole after the trade.

Burns for seto comes to mind. Burns was needed badly and getting him was a good move. Trading seto and not being able to replace him on the roster was the bad part of the trade.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you

Maybe getting first PP time and more ES time has something to do with it? :)

5vs5 GF60 GA60 Diff
Tierney 2.64 2.39 +0.25
Couture 2.52 2.79 -0.27
Pavelski 2.47 1.90 +0.57
Karlsson 2.41 2.41 even
Thornton 2.27 2.44 -0.17
Hertl 2.19 2.31 -0.12
Nieto 2.17 3.16 -0.99
Marleau 2.17 2.69 -0.52
Wingels 1.85 2.41 -0.56
Scott 1.72 1.94 -0.22
Goodrow 1.68 1.98 -0.30
Smith 1.35 1.28 +0.07
Burish 0.96 2.88 -1.92
Brown 0.61 0.61 even

I get that Marleau generally plays against really tough competition but still that doesn't look very good for him. Having Nieto/Marleau on the ice meant that the Sharks got scored on alot. Maybe it's time for him to move down in the depth chart a bit?
Couture did suprisingly well considering he had to drag the Nieto/Marleau combo around whole year.
Also , well done Burish. You truly are a divine hockey talent. :laugh:

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe getting first PP time and more ES time has something to do with it? :)

5vs5 GF60 GA60 Diff
Tierney 2.64 2.39 +0.25
Couture 2.52 2.79 -0.27
Pavelski 2.47 1.90 +0.57
Karlsson 2.41 2.41 even
Thornton 2.27 2.44 -0.17
Hertl 2.19 2.31 -0.12
Nieto 2.17 3.16 -0.99
Marleau 2.17 2.69 -0.52
Wingels 1.85 2.41 -0.56
Scott 1.72 1.94 -0.22
Goodrow 1.68 1.98 -0.30
Smith 1.35 1.28 +0.07
Burish 0.96 2.88 -1.92
Brown 0.61 0.61 even

I get that Marleau generally plays against really tough competition but still that doesn't look very good for him. Having Nieto/Marleau on the ice meant that the Sharks got scored on alot. Maybe it's time for him to move down in the depth chart a bit?
Couture did suprisingly well considering he had to drag the Nieto/Marleau combo around whole year.
Also , well done Burish. You truly are a divine hockey talent. :laugh:

The entire team was a defensive mess. Couture didn't do surprisingly well. He went down with his linemates and had his issues with defensive play last year as well. There isn't anyone on the roster below the 2nd line level that would really be justified in playing over Marleau especially when Nieto and Hertl are the 3rd wheels on those lines and they're still trying to solidify their own spot in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad