Paul MacLean Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie Treehorn

Sep 5, 2008
If anybody wonders why Spezza could be gone. "you have to be willing to move your feet to defend" Paul MacLean.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sure but that's what he was brought in for: he was the guy management brought in to make us into a puck possession team

It's a bit silly to complain that he's doing what he was hired to do

That doesn't mean the coach shouldn't shoulder part of the blame, he should and does; but to pin it all on him, especially since he's doing what is asked and expected out of him, strikes me as disingenuous

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you look at the shortened season last year, the entire team was much tighter defensively. The shots we allowed on goal, for the most part, were from the perimeters of the ice...not exactly prime scoring areas. We were also much more aggressive in front of the net, by both clearing out the rebounds in a hurry and being aggressive against any skaters anywhere near the crease or slot.

In short, the system last season helped a helluva lot to obtain those historic goaltending numbers.

Not saying our goalies are awful, but this his how hockey works. Everything on a team is connected. The skaters make things easier on the goalies and give them a better chance of success, the forwards can help or hurt the defense, the defense can help or hurt the forwards...when all 3 parts are working in harmony, it makes everyone look good. When one (or more) of the parts fail, it can make all three parts look horrible.

I have heard that a lot, but until recently didn't bother looking into it. Here is what I found for scoring chances (shots within the homeplate area):

This year (82 games)
974 total Shots and Goals.
Average distance: 19.3 feet
Shooting Percentage: 138 goals / 974 shots = 14.2%

Last year (48 games)
377 total Shots and Goals (644 prorated to 82 games).
Average distance: 19.1 feet
Shooting Percentage: 47 goals / 377 shots = 12.5%

2 years ago, (82 games)
971 total Shots and Goals.
Average distance: 19.6 feet
Shooting Percentage: 139 goals / 971 shots = 14.3%

To be honest, I was shocked at how big of a difference there was last year. I still remember Anderson and co. making huge stop after huge stop, but thats over 300 extra scoring chances when you adjust for games played. I have to beleive that there is an issue with the data because while I can beleive there was a difference, that's just absurd (maybe I screwed something up...).

This year compared to 2 years ago is more interesting imo as it implies that we weren't substantially different when it comes to scoring chances allowed despite allowing far more goals this year.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Shorthand notes:

where did things come apart?

You have to play well enough long enough. We didn't do that. Turn pucks over, lead league in PIM, top third in GA. Didn't defend well enough to give goalies a chance.

Whole team problem. Forwards, D and G. Played well with the puck but when we turned it over it led to scoring chances, penalties.

How would you evaluate yourself?

Not good enough. Solutions we found weren't good enough.

Where were your shortcomings?

Made a conscious decision to do things differently. Same time the team did things differently (turnovers etc...).

Who coaches the coach? anything you look back on a particular instance that stands out?

No. Bottom line is we didn't play good enough long enough.

I don't go a day without worrying about my job.

Did younger players push too hard? Bite off more than they could chew?

Generally, hand was forced by CBA to have the young players learn on the job this season. Acknowledged that ideally they'd have kids play more in Bingo.

System needs to be tweaked. Concentrate on d zone from training camp. Will be a major focus. We score more than enough to win. Must find better way to play without the puck. We tried this season, didn't work. After Olympic break we had a plan and it seems to have made a difference but not enough yet and it takes time.

I think we have to change our approach. Identity: We want to be a 200 foot team. Improve goal differential.

Feel we're better than what we've showed.

Blocked shots: playing d is more than just blocking shots. One aspect. Better structural game if you're willing to use your feet (skating) rather than blocking shots.

Adjustment period with leadership. Not the kind of year you want to have as a first time captain but Jason learned a lot. Hard thing to replace someone that's been here for 17 years. Leadership comes from everyone in the room not just those with letters.
---
Felt comfortable coming into the year. Not happy with result.
---
Reign in EK? Everyone should be more responsible defensively. Injury had more effect on him in the d zone. Didn't have the confidence to move with the bigger forwards. Feel he'll be able to take his d game back to where it was after offseason of continued rehab.

What did he change? More demanding in what he asked of the players. Too much of an adjustment? Don't think so but it was different.

Improved players? Kyle, Smith, Zibanejad, Weircioch, Gryba. Lehner. Out of this adversity great opportunity to take step forward.

How do you cut back 50 goals?

Players will be evaluated to see how they fit moving forward...some change expected. If we have the concentration of playing well without the puck we'd already be much better.

Illness of Zib - every test ok no further concerns.

Hockey Canada? Speculation that he's in the mix. Haven't talked to anyone. Would go if they called.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have heard that a lot, but until recently didn't bother looking into it. Here is what I found for scoring chances (shots within the homeplate area):

This year (82 games)
974 total Shots and Goals.
Average distance: 19.3 feet
Shooting Percentage: 138 goals / 974 shots = 14.2%

Last year (48 games)
377 total Shots and Goals (644 prorated to 82 games).
Average distance: 19.1 feet
Shooting Percentage: 47 goals / 377 shots = 12.5%

2 years ago, (82 games)
971 total Shots and Goals.
Average distance: 19.6 feet
Shooting Percentage: 139 goals / 971 shots = 14.3%

To be honest, I was shocked at how big of a difference there was last year. I still remember Anderson and co. making huge stop after huge stop, but thats over 300 extra scoring chances when you adjust for games played. I have to beleive that there is an issue with the data because while I can beleive there was a difference, that's just absurd (maybe I screwed something up...).

This year compared to 2 years ago is more interesting imo as it implies that we weren't substantially different when it comes to scoring chances allowed despite allowing far more goals this year.

Why is it that surprising? Once everybody went down to injury the coach had to change the system, he couldn't push puck possession if all the skill was gone: we pretty much played the trap last year

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Spezza-Trade-Hemsky-Future-MacLean/134/59382

The Ottawa Sun handed out grades to the organization today, and as has been a theme for a few weeks now, they took another run at head coach Paul MacLean. It's hard not to notice this stuff. They gave MacLean a worse grade than the defense, which was an absolute nightmare for 82-games.

It's not that I totally disagree with their assessment. It's that, whenever the Sun finds a target and starts gunning him/them down with regularity, you wonder if they have the green light to do this sort of stuff from above.

Do I think that's the case here? Yes. I do think that's the case.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with MacLean. I still think he'll be back, but I'm like 51-49 on that outcome. If he does come back, that hot seat is going to be scorching to start the year.

If they fire Maclean I'm going to lose my ****

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Shorthand notes:

where did things come apart?

You have to play well enough long enough. We didn't do that. Turn pucks over, lead league in PIM, top third in GA. Didn't defend well enough to give goalies a chance.

Whole team problem. Forwards, D and G. Played well with the puck but when we turned it over it led to scoring chances, penalties.

How would you evaluate yourself?

Not good enough. Solutions we found weren't good enough.

Where were your shortcomings?

Made a conscious decision to do things differently. Same time the team did things differently (turnovers etc...).

Who coaches the coach? anything you look back on a particular instance that stands out?

No. Bottom line is we didn't play good enough long enough.

I don't go a day without worrying about my job.

Did younger players push too hard? Bite off more than they could chew?

Generally, hand was forced by CBA to have the young players learn on the job this season. Acknowledged that ideally they'd have kids play more in Bingo.

System needs to be tweaked. Concentrate on d zone from training camp. Will be a major focus. We score more than enough to win. Must find better way to play without the puck. We tried this season, didn't work. After Olympic break we had a plan and it seems to have made a difference but not enough yet and it takes time.

I think we have to change our approach. Identity: We want to be a 200 foot team. Improve goal differential.

Feel we're better than what we've showed.

Blocked shots: playing d is more than just blocking shots. One aspect. Better structural game if you're willing to use your feet (skating) rather than blocking shots.

Adjustment period with leadership. Not the kind of year you want to have as a first time captain but Jason learned a lot. Hard thing to replace someone that's been here for 17 years. Leadership comes from everyone in the room not just those with letters.
---
Felt comfortable coming into the year. Not happy with result.
---
Reign in EK? Everyone should be more responsible defensively. Injury had more effect on him in the d zone. Didn't have the confidence to move with the bigger forwards. Feel he'll be able to take his d game back to where it was after offseason of continued rehab.

What did he change? More demanding in what he asked of the players. Too much of an adjustment? Don't think so but it was different.

Improved players? Kyle, Smith, Zibanejad, Weircioch, Gryba. Lehner. Out of this adversity great opportunity to take step forward.

How do you cut back 50 goals?

Players will be evaluated to see how they fit moving forward...some change expected. If we have the concentration of playing well without the puck we'd already be much better.

Illness of Zib - every test ok no further concerns.

Hockey Canada? Speculation that he's in the mix. Haven't talked to anyone. Would go if they called.

thanks

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
If anybody wonders why Spezza could be gone. "you have to be willing to move your feet to defend" Paul MacLean.

Here is a question to everyone, if you had to pick between Spezza and Maclean, who do you pick? I know people don't like rumours and take great offense to them but there is talk that Maclean wanted Phillips as captain and Murray wanted Spezza. Maybe Spezza wants out because he knows that Maclean doesn't see him as fitting into his system....Just a thought......I think it is either Maclean or Spezza

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Here is a question to everyone, if you had to pick between Spezza and Maclean, who do you pick? I know people don't like rumours and take great offense to them but there is talk that Maclean wanted Phillips as captain and Murray wanted Spezza. Maybe Spezza wants out because he knows that Maclean doesn't see him as fitting into his system....Just a thought......I think it is either Maclean or Spezza

He wanted our worst play as captain? Maybe that's enough right there for me to fire Maclean.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

Not only shocked he praised Wiercioch, but the most glaring omission there, and throughout the press conference, was Jared Cowen.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Not only shocked he praised Wiercioch, but the most glaring omission there, and throughout the press conference, was Jared Cowen.

Of course Cowen was omitted. He started the season playing terribly and didn't improve in the slightest. Just a completely awful season.

The worst part is that he got more years and more AAV than Subban did when he held out last year. Just a complete and utter mismanagement by Bryan Murray.

Senafan

May 17, 2013

Seriously? I remember Phillips being outwardly disappointed at not being chosen, but that just sounds too crazy.

Though after the minutes he was given this year....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Cowen did get better as the year went along

But not much

And yes, considering he held out you have to think management is pretty pissed at him

Berserker*

That's easy, you go with MacLean. He wants the team to play a hard working, 200 foot game, with a strong commitment to the defensive zone, commitment to out working and out battling the opposition for loose pucks, board and position battles and he wants them to play with an edge and use physicality as an asset. That "style of play" is essentially an emulation of the top teams in the league (Bruins, Kings, Ducks, Sharks and Blues). So he is simply asking his players to just copy what the elite teams of this league are doing. Any coach who is worth his salt will take the same approach. Therefore if there is n issue with Spezza's playing style and MacLean's coaching style then the same issue will arise with any other coach that attempts to make this team elite.

The problem with Spezza is that many coaches have attempted to adapt his style of play and none of them have been very successful. There is no reason to expect that he will now start adapting his game to become a more well rounded player. It is unfortunate because he so talented offensively that he would be a huge asset to this team if he could round out his game. But the reality is that he is never going to play with much intensity or physicality, you are not going to see him out battle players for loose pucks and along the boards or back check hard with any consistency or become a high end defensive player. His whole game is based off being creative offensively and taking big risks. He is a high risk high reward type of player and any attempt to adapt that will likely stifle his offensive production and in turn make him upset with the role he is being used in.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
"It's not that I totally disagree with their assessment. It's that, whenever the Sun finds a target and starts gunning him/them down with regularity, you wonder if they have the green light to do this sort of stuff from above. Do I think that's the case here? Yes. I do think that's the case." - Yost

I really wish he'd stick with the analytics and cut out this garbage speculation. It's getting harder and harder to follow his blog with all the crap he throws out there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The problem was the D core, the leadership and the commitment to team defense. This team flat out needs another top 2 D man, 4 of the 6 that dressed on a regular basis are only NHL players half the time. That's not enough. They just cant dress Cowen and Phillips at the same time, something has to happen here.

He has to get more accountability out of his stars in my opinion, maybe an impossible task but that's his job.

No way he should be fired after this season he has done wonders for this organization. Yeah this has been a tough season but it will be a learning experience for all the players and coachs alike its been tremendously humbling.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is it really that hard to believe that the SUN has inside information and that the information is vetted by management?

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Is it really that hard to believe that the SUN has inside information and that the information is vetted by management?

That's not what he said though. He said that the Sun gets the "green light" from the Senators organization to run players/coaches out of town. That's completely ridiculous.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Of course Cowen was omitted. He started the season playing terribly and didn't improve in the slightest. Just a completely awful season.

The worst part is that he got more years and more AAV than Subban did when he held out last year. Just a complete and utter mismanagement by Bryan Murray.

Oh look, another conspiracy theory by Yost. :rolleyes:

Yost is right about this-because for anyone who pays attention, the Sun never ever crosses the GM and often floats the scenarios that Murrays' wants out there-they spin for him. The whole idea now is to put all the blame on Maclean for the failures of this season and pretend that he had nothing to do with the victories of the past 2 years. The green light is flashing-go ahead, take a run at the coach.

No one is to remember how they botched the Alfie situation, over estimated the readiness of the young D to take over.(Sure the Gonchar contract would have been too rich but what about hanging on to Benoit or bringing in another steady, experienced D man) etc

And the constant playing of Cowen-does anyone really think that was all Macleans idea? Murray is a very hands on GM when it comes to coaching.

We have all seen this before-whether this year or early next year, the heat is all on Maclean , and none of it on management ...Look at Garrioch's grading-he doesn't even grade management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad