Rumor: Paul MacLean hired as an assistant coach

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I thought I saw somebody say we have to give a compensation pick for hiring him. Is that true?

The whole deal with hiring these coaches could be that we want to stockpile HC candidates so if they get hired away we can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder, whatever it is. Can't hurt to have all of this coaching talent though, unless there's a power struggle! :naughty:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The whole deal with hiring these coaches could be that we want to stockpile HC candidates so if they get hired away we can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder, whatever it is. Can't hurt to have all of this coaching talent though, unless there's a power struggle! :naughty:

This is a very real possibility. Eakins was the hot coaching candidate when he was last in the AHL, if he has success again and is humbled a bit, he'll get looks again. MacLean will almost certainly get looks as early as next summer, and Yawney was brought up this summer. Pretty good to have.

With Eakins, though, I wonder who would get compensation. If Edmonton is still paying him, would they have first dibs? Or would they have waived that right by allowing him to come here? Also the possibilities that compensation won't happen for fired managers sooner than later, or that they'd just be glad to not pay him anymore.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I didn't realize this was confirmed but I guess it is? Murray has upgraded the coaching staff this year and last year. I wonder who goes if we don't win a cup next year. :sarcasm:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Obviously we needed to replace the moustache element in the organisation. We really lacked it ever since George left, now we`re pretty good at it again! Hope he coaches well too

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I met Paul a couple years back in Ottawa, we were playing in a tournament final at the Sens rink right before one of their games. Security instructed us not to speak to any players or team staff that we encountered in order to let them focus, but I kind of ignored that when Maclean walked by. Very friendly guy, even in a short conversation his passion for the game is quite evident.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Very interesting, thanks for sharing...

I'm not very worried though, since he won't be the one running the room.

I wouldn't worry for a second, Dean Brown is a major brown noser with management and seems to have an axe to grind with MaClean.

People talk about Boston bad mouthing high profile people who leave their organization they don't hold a candle to Ottawa..

I hope the very best for Maclean. I think you will like him a lot.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Paul MacLean was brought in to improve our special teams. At the time of the trade deadline:

PP - 22.3%, 4th in the league
PK - 86.6%, 2nd in the league

What a remarkable improvement from last season's special team woes.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Paul MacLean was brought in to improve our special teams. At the time of the trade deadline:

PP - 22.3%, 4th in the league
PK - 86.6%, 2nd in the league

What a remarkable improvement from last season's special team woes.

Pretty sure he has nothing to do with the PK.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Special teams come up huge in playoffs if we can keep our PK top notch I have a great feeling about this year. Past 3 years our PP has stepped up big time in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad