Rumor: Paul MacLean hired as an assistant coach

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
[Tweet]614214958646198272[/MEDIA]

This deserves it's own thread. Frankly I'm shocked by this. One, I can't believe MacLean is taking an assistant job. Two, I hate the fact that this is basically going to be an ax hanging over Boudreau's neck. Not a real vote of confidence knowing this guy is probably going to take your job if things get rough at any point.

Having said all that though this should be a very good move. The man is an excellent coach both as an assistant and as a head coach. If he's comfortable with his role as an assistant I think he'll do wonders for this team. Yawney worked out really well this year and I have to imagine MacLean will as well.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
This is very exciting. Honestly it just sounds like BM wants to have a very good coaching staff. I like this move. I was always iffy with Lauer.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, teams would receive a second-round draft pick if a transaction happens during the season and a third-round pick if one occurs in the off-season.

Also, there will be a three-year period where the team that hires the coach/GM/president will have to choose when to give up the draft pick.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-compensated-losing-coaches-gms/

Also, the previous team can waive the pick if they choose to.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Love the hiring if it turns out. Not bad to have a little bit of motivation around, Bruce is a big boy and should be able to handle this.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I really don't think this is about getting a potential BB replacement, but rather adding a strong assistant. Almost no way BB is fired midseason next year, and even if he was, Yawney's a capable interim guy, maybe even a capable head coach. If BB goes next summer, there's plenty of candidates, likely including MacLean anyway. You don't really see teams add an assistant with this intention, and I don't think this is any different.

The compensation rules make this hiring even better, though. He's a prime candidate for vacancies next summer, and that will almost certainly cost teams a third or second round pick. That's always nice.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
3rd round pick for an assistant is ridiculous

Again, I just can't see that happening. Melnyk surely wants him off the books, and I can't see them hindering those chances by demanding a pick back, nor can I see a team pay it for an assistant. I'm not even sure if the rule says they have to for an assistant. Either way, I fully expect no picks to be lost over this, only gained.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
3rd round pick for an assistant is ridiculous

Meh, makes them about as valuable as an average NHL playerwhich isn't all that far from the truth. What's ridiculous is having to compensate a team for hiring an employed person in a lesser role than that organization just fired them from. The league needs to separate 'employed' from 'under contract' and/or enforce buyouts for fired coaches.

Ramenbot

May 2, 2010
Burbank
Seeing Boudreau and the walrus behind the same bench has been a dream of mine ever since 5 minutes ago. Now it's finally happening.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
Yes!
maclean.jpg

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
At least for this upcoming season, Ducks have managed to acquire Babcock coaching strategy for the playoffs, without paying his outrageous salary since McLean is a part of Babcock's coaching tree.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
That was quite the interview for Maclean. Actually a bit worrisome in how he was described

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like the idea of him as an assistant. I really hope he's not the guy who takes over if BB gets the ax though.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013

I get the impression that McLean strength is his x's and o's technician, which should be a good complement to BB, who is a good communicator and positive influence on the team. Like I said before, it should help us in the playoffs, when game management and strategy become more important. With the ngegative said in podcast about McLean, don't want to take over for BB if we don't win Cup next year.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I wouldn't put too much into it. The podcast is quite funny. They want the Sens play like LA or Chicago. Is their roster capable to play this kind of style? Are the Sens for sure a better team or are they just happier in the locker room?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Seeing Boudreau and the walrus behind the same bench has been a dream of mine ever since 5 minutes ago. Now it's finally happening.

Very well said. What do we need now? Torts? :laugh:

The Harlem Trotters of coaching staff :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad