Who's the better player?

• Kariya

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Mackinnon

Votes: 76 75.2%

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Karyia was a great player but Mackinnon is bigger, faster , stronger and an all around better player.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think they’re similar talents. Kariya was awesome before the Suter hit and still really good for awhile after it. People forget that at only 22, he was 2nd in Hart voting after Hasek and ahead of a 31 year old Art Ross winning Lemieux in ‘97, despite missing 23 games. MacKinnon has size and a power game Kariya didn’t, but I think Kariya had better vision and a better shot. Was arguably faster as well. Both were roughly considered top 5 forwards for a few years, near the top of the scoring and/or per game leaders. Though MacKinnon has probably been closer to his best for longer at this point. I’d probably take MacKinnon because of his playoff production has been really good so far. Kariya didn’t have a lot of opportunity at his best but didn’t stand out to the same degree. MacKinnon’s size and strength give him some added versatility to make him harder to stop as well.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Up to their age 26 seasons their stats are very comparable. Mackinnon has a couple higher Hart voting finishes, but Kariya had more 1st team all star selections. I voted Mackinnon but it's not that much of a reach to say Kariya either. Injuries later in his career hurt him more than anything.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Comparable players in terms of all around impact. Not really sure why people say Mackinnon is all around better. Kariya was actually a solid defensive player and was absolutely lethal on the PK.

They actually played similar types of games at ES. Both use/used their speed to really back teams off. Mack uses more power to create offense where Kariya used more edge work and shiftiness.

Hard for me to really choose between the two, Mack has had the luxury of playing on much better teams then Kariya did outside of one year.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
*Gretzky and Lemieux are removed

Top 10 hart
MacK: 2,2,3,6
Kariya: 2,8,8

Top 10 goals
MacK: 6,9,9
Kariya: 4,6,8,10

Top 10 pts
MacK: 5,5,7,8
Kariya: 2,3,4,6

Top 10 PPG
MacK: 2,4,4,5,9
Kariya: 3,5,7

Clearly MacK as he's been at the top of the league for a few years while Kariya only came close one time.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kariya had also a solid two way game in him,
and, like Selänne, Kariya surprised everyone with his physical game,
at times, rarely but still. + both Kariya and Selänne sometimes
lossed their tempers, yes, both are known of winning Masterton
and Bing,..but...they both had their moments

Still the greatest duo ever to play ice hockey; Selänne & Kariya
their game worked together like a thought, it was like they
could hear each others thoughts.

So, Kariya is my pick.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Paul Kariya is so special. Dude would roller skate backwards all over Anaheim every morning. It’s tough because Mackinnon is a center, and has a more physical element to his game (though Kariya was tough as nails). I think Paul was an even better skater which is saying something. Such a character dude too, took league minimum contract just to play with Joe Sakic. If only Sellanee didn’t blow out his knee that year….that line….what should have been :cry:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This is a good poll.

They are actually very close in my eyes.

I think the poll isn't able to correctly demonstrate just how close it is between them because even if it comes out 52-48 in MacKinnon's favor, the poll will only show him winning in a landslide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad