Paul Holmgren's 5 worst moves as general manager

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Has to be the bob trade. We hate it but at the time Bryz was good. His play in AZ had me excited. And AMAC would have got that same contract on the open market. Sucks we paid it but it was at value then

The AMac extension reminds me so much of the Carle re-signing in Tamba Bay. As soon as they did it we knew they'll regret it

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
1. Creating a situation where trading your two best forwards is seen as both necessary and a good move

That includes the Bryzgalov situation because of the cap ramifications, even though a lot of that was Snider's fault. They should've just signed Vokoun as a stopgap like a lot of us wanted.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
1. Creating a situation where trading your two best forwards is seen as both necessary and a good move

That includes the Bryzgalov situation because of the cap ramifications, even though a lot of that was Snider's fault. They should've just signed Vokoun as a stopgap like a lot of us wanted.

The situation came from Pronger having a freak injury, he didn't create it at all.

He created a 5ish year window of having a #1 Dman, a solid #2 that can hold down a second pairing, 3 point per game forwards, and a blossoming star to build around after that period. He built an absolute powerhouse.
It just so happened that 5 year window got cut short from something that no one could have seen coming.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The situation came from Pronger having a freak injury, he didn't create it at all.

He created a 5ish year window of having a #1 Dman, a solid #2 that can hold down a second pairing, 3 point per game forwards, and a blossoming star to build around after that period. He built an absolute powerhouse.
It just so happened that 5 year window got cut short from something that no one could have seen coming.

The situation is the one that led to the trades happening in the first place, so I'm talking about before Pronger's injury. In the window he created, you're talking about Pronger, Kimmo and Giroux, right? I'm not sure who the other two ppg forwards are. Giroux would also be the blossoming star? Because all those guys were here with Carter and Richards anyway.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
The situation is the one that led to the trades happening in the first place, so I'm talking about before Pronger's injury. In the window he created, you're talking about Pronger, Kimmo and Giroux, right? I'm not sure who the other two ppg forwards are. Giroux would also be the blossoming star? Because all those guys were here with Carter and Richards anyway.

When Pronger came in, we had a 5 year window of him Timonen anchoring two shut down pairings.

Carter and Richards both had PPG seasons in 08-09 and Briere was .9 as a Flyer at that point

It's hindsight to see Giroux as a star, but it was talked about before it happened.
http://thehockeywriters.com/claude-giroux-a-star-in-the-making/

All these guys were in that 5 year window. A #1 D was needed to compete in the window, without Pronger a rebuild was needed. Holmgren probably didn't expect the team to be in the playoffs after trading Richards and Carter. They were still without a #1 D, not bad enough to draft one, but still better off going forward.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
When Pronger came in, we had a 5 year window of him Timonen anchoring two shut down pairings.

Carter and Richards both had PPG seasons in 08-09 and Briere was .9 as a Flyer at that point

It's hindsight to see Giroux as a star, but it was talked about before it happened.
http://thehockeywriters.com/claude-giroux-a-star-in-the-making/

All these guys were in that 5 year window. A #1 D was needed to compete in the window, without Pronger a rebuild was needed. Holmgren probably didn't expect the team to be in the playoffs after trading Richards and Carter. They were still without a #1 D, not bad enough to draft one, but still better off going forward.

Okay, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about a 5 year window after the Richards/Carter trades. I liked the team he built that went to the finals, of course. I wanted it to be kept together longer than it was. Cap issues were probably the number one culprit for why it wasn't, and the Bryzgalov signing tied up a lot of the cap in a player that wasn't worth it.

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
PH was not a good GM. But I actually think he deserves more credit than hindsight gives him. He came in when this team was literally dreadful - dead last - and few saw any light at the end of the tunnel. The return he got for Forsberg (and a to a lesser extent, Zhitnik - incredible trade) plus the Briere (not Gomez) signing turned this team from 30th out of 30 to a playoff team practically overnight. The Richards/Carter trades deserve credit too - he wasn't afraid to pull the trigger.

That said, he was not wise with the cap or picks. But at that time it was win now, win now, win now, and I'm willing to bet the org had its usual impatience. That impatience cost us Cups, but I don't think it was coming from Holmgren (although the cap management was his fault)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Holmgren's tenure as GM needs to be divided into 2 segments really.

2008-2011 - Excellent
2011-2014 - Horrid

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Holmgren's tenure as GM needs to be divided into 2 segments really.

2008-2011 - Excellent
2011-2014 - Horrid

I agree with that and I think it all hinges on the Pronger injury (November 2011). Holmgren didn't know how to deal with losing him and went for band-aid after band-aid.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree with that and I think it all hinges on the Pronger injury (November 2011). Holmgren didn't know how to deal with losing him and went for band-aid after band-aid.

Yeah he really unraveled after that injury.

Amazing how moment can alter a franchise so significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad