Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That seems reasonable. It's the players' faults. The players whose fault it was last year and the year before and the year before and as you said do this every year. But it's not the fault of the guy who was brought in to change those players, but who kept all of those players, and waited until the season was lost and the seniors started to show their age and crumble and wander around the neutral zone in inside out bathrobes to finally trade an underperforming scoring forward and replace him with a guy who peeled a ****ing potato so wrong he cut his goddamn hand off.
It was a Sweet Potato. And he was cutting it, not peeling it. These are important details to get right.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
i disagree we got nada for nino, Rask may not be blowing your doors off right now but he is a good 2C-3C center for future since he is younger. he made a small address to our aging C which we all know was needed. he is not great to watch right now no but he isnt awful either. he is a good not great 2way center for the middle 6 role. we just need that new young 1C to take over and build around which is clearly not the easiest thing to find.
This is a guy we acquired to play center. Koivu got hurt, and rask still isn’t good enough to play top 9 center on this team. He’s not a 2-3C and I’m not even sure that he’s an NHLer from what I’ve seen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
How soon before we can start calling for him to be fired? I want to mark that day on my calendar.

We're well past that point. The grace period ends right after the introductory press conference; and then only if he doesn't stick his foot in his mouth during the press conference. :popcorn:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
How soon before we can start calling for him to be fired? I want to mark that day on my calendar.
One more Nino-Rask level trade without really redeeming himself first. Though I bet he's pretty timid about trusting his pro scouts' or his ability to judge underutilized talent for another NHL trade. A week from Monday we will probably have much more or less reason to light the torches.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
This is a guy we acquired to play center. Koivu got hurt, and rask still isn’t good enough to play top 9 center on this team. He’s not a 2-3C and I’m not even sure that he’s an NHLer from what I’ve seen.

how is he still not good enough? he was 2C once koivu got hurt.. if they werent trying to spark granny he would still be there.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
how is he still not good enough? he was 2C once koivu got hurt.. if they werent trying to spark granny he would still be there.
You can look at it as them trying to spark granny. In reality it was Boudreaux being out of options. Rask is completely unreliable at center and brings no offense to back up being a 2C

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

If this was just a numbers game Boudreau could have easily said so here. Instead, when asked point blank why Rask was playing 4LW instead of center the coach basically said, "Well... better luck next year."

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I am completely comfortable with judging a guy who says "I am not going to rush into a trade" who then knee-jerks into a horrible trade 8 months later because Carolina said they would give him a center.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i think i was the first to say fire fletch. im not ready to say that yet about fenton but im not very impressed so far. ps on a different msg board i may have been one of the first to say fire DR back in the day.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

If this was just a numbers game Boudreau could have easily said so here. Instead, when asked point blank why Rask was playing 4LW instead of center the coach basically said, "Well... better luck next year."

hadnt seen that till now, all i saw before rask being moved was them saying they want to spark granny by putting him at center which sounded stupid enough the way it was. i do agree next year will be the time to judge him more harshly. i still see good from rask. just not offensively yet which is why id be fine with him at 3C.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

The main issue with these quotes is that BB is acting like Rask was dropped from space to the Wild roster.

No. He was in the NHL before coming to Wild. And was playing like complete garbage. The only thing he has done is continued to perform at the same level he did before the trade.

I don't know, maybe he overhauls his offseason workout program and comes back better next season, but what you see from Rask right now is exactly what you should've expected from Rask. It's not about "getting used" to anything. This is what he is.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The main issue with these quotes is that BB is acting like Rask was dropped from space to the Wild roster.

No. He was in the NHL before coming to Wild. And was playing like complete garbage. The only thing he has done is continued to perform at the same level he did before the trade.

I don't know, maybe he overhauls his offseason workout program and comes back better next season, but what you see from Rask right now is exactly what you should've expected from Rask. It's not about "getting used" to anything. This is what he is.
It's not like he's going to publicly say "this guy sucks, the GM is an idiot for picking him up, I want him off my lineup." Saying that he doesn't anticipate Rask being a useful roster player for the rest of the season is about as brutal a public criticism I could imagine a coach giving. He's not even saying Rask needs to be better, he's saying he's giving up on Rask being able to be better.

Reactions: 907campbell

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Boudreau was playing diplomat here, but I think that's to be expected. He's not going to toss either the player or the GM under the bus.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
One more Nino-Rask level trade without really redeeming himself first. Though I bet he's pretty timid about trusting his pro scouts' or his ability to judge underutilized talent for another NHL trade. A week from Monday we will probably have much more or less reason to light the torches.
That, and one more draft with a Johansson type pick.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So I've tried to take stock of what Fenton's actually done so far (and tell me if I'm missing anything worth mentioning):

2018 Draft
1. Filip Johansson (D)
3. Jack McBain (C)
3. Alexander Khovanov (C)
3. Connor Dewar (C)
5. Simon Johansson (D)
5. Damien Giroux (C)
6. Shawn Boudrias (RW)
7. Sam Hentges (C)

(It's a lot of green, but all of these guys outside of F. Johansson seem to be doing quite well relative to their draft position so far.)

RFAs
Dumba: $6m x 5 years
Zucker: $5.5 x 5 years
Seeler: $725k x 3 years

UFAs
Brown: $687k x 2 years
Pateryn: $2.24 x 3 years
Hendricks: $700k x 1 year
Fehr: $1m x 1 year
Stalock: $785 x 3 years

Others: Bartkowski, Hammond, Liambas, Read, Beck

Buyouts
Ennis :thumbu:

Trades
Olofsson for Bitten
Jenys for Falkovsky
Kloos for Aberg
Niederreiter for Rask
5th for Hunt + 6th
Murphy for Kapla

Waiver claims
Bitetto

Coaching hires
Tim Army
Dean Evason

My subjective, color-coded approval ratings:
Red: Alarming
Orange: Concerning
Green: Good
Black: Middle-of-the-road​

I don't want to dig in on each and every one of these. My main takeaway is that there isn't actually a lot of data to go on with Fenton yet. My problem right now is that most of the moves that I'd consider substantial are red or orange flags. The exception is the draft, which I think looks quite good overall.

Either way it seems early to actually want him fired.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Coyle is a far better C than Rask, and also, the latter is LH...like we need more of those. Hopefully Rask dedicates reinvents himself over the summer and comes back ready to play a middle six C role, as we're stuck with him for the next three years.
Anyway, Fenton tried a " shake up" move. It worked...for the Canes. I think Nino's inability to perform well here is a symptom of a bigger problem, and indicates that this team needs more than a tweak to get better.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Coyle is a far better C than Rask, and also, the latter is LH...like we need more of those. Hopefully Rask dedicates reinvents himself over the summer and comes back ready to play a middle six C role, as we're stuck with him for the next three years.
Anyway, Fenton tried a " shake up" move. It worked...for the Canes. I think Nino's inability to perform well here is a symptom of a bigger problem, and indicates that this team needs more than a tweak to get better.
The funny thing is that it did kind of work for us up until the All Star break and bye week. Going from Nino to Rask was a downgrade, but overall the team was winning games and playing well. It was the Bitetto pick up that seemed to shake things in the wrong direction.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
That, and one more draft with a Johansson type pick.
I absolutely HATE that pick and would love to riot over it but as bad as it was at the time, and as worse as it looks now, the kid is still 18 so I don't know about firing the guy over that yet. If the Wild do end up with another well positioned pick, and I have no idea how the depth of this draft is to know where that would be, and he reaches a full round+ again then I'll start grabbing pitchforks over the use of first rounders.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The team needs:
- A good sports therapist (or Stuart Smalley) and a safe room filled with puppies.
- Van Helsing, to kill what ever succubus hovering around the team.
- The ghost of Chris Farley visiting them as motivational speaker Matt Foley.
- A hypnotist, if it works for people and quitting smoking what can it hurt?
-And to take away their phones/ipods until they start playing better.

Or they could just burn it all to the ground and start over. If they supply the marshmallows and chocolate it could turn into a the best night fans have had at the X all season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The team needs:
- A good sports therapist (or Stuart Smalley) and a safe room filled with puppies.
- Van Helsing, to kill what ever succubus hovering around the team.
- The ghost of Chris Farley visiting them as motivational speaker Matt Foley.
- A hypnotist, if it works for people and quitting smoking what can it hurt?
-And to take away their phones/ipods until they start playing better.

Or they could just burn it all to the ground and start over. If they supply the marshmallows and chocolate it could turn into a the best night fans have had at the X all season.
Burn a pile of asafoetida right in the middle of the Wild logo on the floor of the locker room. It'll kill anything without a body.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I absolutely HATE that pick and would love to riot over it but as bad as it was at the time, and as worse as it looks now, the kid is still 18 so I don't know about firing the guy over that yet. If the Wild do end up with another well positioned pick, and I have no idea how the depth of this draft is to know where that would be, and he reaches a full round+ again then I'll start grabbing pitchforks over the use of first rounders.

its supposed to be pretty deep at C, and in the range we are picking if he finds a way to pick defense over forward ill grab a pitchfork with you. iv defended the FJ pick but in a few mock drafts it shows Suzuki falling to the 18 range which we are currently around. If he passes on him, yikes....

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Burn a pile of asafoetida right in the middle of the Wild logo on the floor of the locker room. It'll kill anything without a body.

The logo is on the ceiling in the locker room isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad