Patriots dynasty- good or bad for football?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I dunno, wasn't this the lowest rated Super Bowl in years despite a team from LA being in it? I think there's definitely fatigue setting in for the Patriots. This Super Bowl ultimately meant nothing for Brady or Belichick's legacy, they're already at the top.

NFL seems to be a finely tuned machine though, I don't think one team dominating means all that much.

I can't recall right off the top of my head but wasn't either the Pats/Falcons Super Bowl or last year's Pats/Eagles Super Bowl insanely high from a ratings standpoint? Like it or not, I think the Patriots are a draw.

A huge problem with the SB ratings was tied in with the other side. The Rams don’t exactly have a clear cut fanbase, the NFC CG controversy led to New Orleans basically boycotting, and it was such a 180 from last year when you got a team with an undeniably rabid fanbase (Eagles) that had been starving for a title

If the SB was Brady/Brees, I can guarantee the ratings would not have declined.

It was simply the imperfect storm of bad timing- a team with a lukewarm fanbase getting to the SB in shaky fashion against a team whose fans know nothing but winning at the expense of a starving fanbase (Chiefs) with a QB everyone wanted to see (Mahomes)

The Pats ARE a draw, but the LA Rams..... well, the other 5 NFC playoff teams would have probably brought more to the table.

Seattle, Chicago, Saints, Dallas, Philly: let’s just say that it wouldn’t have felt like Gillette Stadium South had any of them made the SB

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
there's no doubt about it
I think a lot of that is the Pats being so unlikeable [all the cheating, etc]
I imagine every fanbase in the AFC despises them [yeah, because the Pats have doused their dreams so many times for a lot of them] and there's some of that from the NFC as well [except for Eagles and Giants fans]

That's more due to the Boston sports fan in general. Prior to the Patriots run all they had were the Celtics and their last championship was in '86.

Since then all you heard was the woe is us, we're so cursed, New York is ruining MLB and everything else nonsense etc...It was beyond nauseating

Then the Patriots won the Super Bowl after 9/11. Which apparently saved Murica or something. The Red Sox, with a huge payroll, finally stopped choking and won the World Series(followed by two more). Celtics tanked and failed to acquire Oden or Durant in '07. But managed to trade for Garnett and Ray Allen to win another title. Bruins won the Cup in '11(?) which leads noted Boston hack Bill Simmons to declare the Bruins have saved the NHL

The Boston sports fan has had an unrealistic amount of success since 2001. Thus making the same schmucks who were whining all the time even worse. Now coupled with a new crop of frontrunners who act like this is the norm.

Reactions: mmvvpp

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It's great for the game because fanboys will tune in to see them win again and the haters will tune in to see them knocked off. They play entertaining football and it makes neutrals like myself tune in.

Reactions: Voight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's great for the game because fanboys will tune in to see them win again and the haters will tune in to see them knocked off. They play entertaining football and it makes neutrals like myself tune in.

yup.

Look, hate them or not they have given fans 7 of the most entertaining Superbowls in history.

SB36: Rams score 2 late 4th TD to tie it, Patriots go and kick a GW FG

SB38: 4th quarter is a shootout, Patriots go and kick a GW FG

SB42: undefeated team ends up in a tight game. Patriots score go ahead TD with 2min left, Giants go and have 'the' drive. Helmet catch...

SB46: yet again the Patriots score a go ahead TD with 3min left. yet again the Giants drive and score a GW TD

SB49: the Seahawks game was great football beginning to end. you had teh Patriots score 2 4th Q TD against the Legion of Boom. The deflection circus catch by Kearse. Malcolm Butler GW INT

SB51: 28-3. the comeback. the strip sack, the julio jones catch, the flowers sack, edelman's catch

SB52: an epic offensive shoot out, 1 punt the entire game. Patriots score a go ahead TD with less than 2 to play, Philly drives down and scores a GW TD

7 of the 9 Superbowls Brady/Belichick have been in have been decided in the final minute of play and involved a GW score

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It is better, just no one else in the afc has been able to compete with them for the 2nd half of their run. I love watching old clips/documentaries of all the rivalries in the NFL back in 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90's. Teams used to play each other year after year in the playoffs, that doesn't happen much anymore.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good for football.

One day Tom Brady will no longer play QB and Belichick will also be retired. We will then appreciate even more what we were all able to witness. This period of sustained dominance is actually great for the league because it shows you what can happen when players buy in to a system/philosophy and they put the team first. If you cut their titles in half, each run had a set group of core guys that stuck together thru thick and thin.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They single-handedly ruined the best league in sports. Tainted and disgraced the Shield.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tuggy

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As a Steelers fan I hate the Pats but I think its still good for the league.

To their fans there is no greater heroes, to everyone else there is no bigger villain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad