Proposal: Patrik Laine to Carolina Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Nothing to see? So you are happy with KK's production at 4.8M caphit? That's abysmal. He's playing 9 mins of hockey / game recently!
Kk has made plays that haven’t been finished and missed a handful himself. He hasn’t had much chemistry this year with the wingers. So he is centering Lemieux and fast. Not going to produce a lot with those 2. Necas has been a lot better with Drury this season. So that line is getting more time. Slightly concerning but his play has warranted more production than he is getting

Scoripo Rising

Oct 31, 2023
His problem has been his dog shit effort. That's literally it, he doesn't care about competing.
Literally everytime I see him, he's just barely skating. Probably the least amount of effort I've seen out of a player in multiple years....save for pierre luc Dubois that one shift.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kk has made plays that haven’t been finished and missed a handful himself. He hasn’t had much chemistry this year with the wingers. So he is centering Lemieux and fast. Not going to produce a lot with those 2. Necas has been a lot better with Drury this season. So that line is getting more time. Slightly concerning but his play has warranted more production than he is getting
Hard to produce when your coach only trusts you to play 9 mins / game. He's really fallen out of favor with Brindamour.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Drury played less than Kotkaniemi EV in every January game until Detroit on the 19th. Detroit was the night Necas returned to the lineup. It’s pretty obvious what happened, unless you have an agenda.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Drury played less than Kotkaniemi EV in every January game until Detroit on the 19th. Detroit was the night Necas returned to the lineup. It’s pretty obvious what happened, unless you have an agenda.
I think you have the agenda, defending KK's 9 min's on the 4th line. You know he has played poorly and BrindAmour is putting him where he belongs. KK has no excuses.

Just admit that he is having a poor season. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I think you have the agenda, defending KK's 9 min's on the 4th line. You know he has played poorly and BrindAmour is putting him where he belongs. KK has no excuses.

Just admit that he is having a poor season. There's nothing wrong with that.
Seems you would be the one pushing an agenda. He has had 4 total games of 9 minutes of ice time. His ice time is still averaging over 14 minutes

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Seems you would be the one pushing an agenda. He has had 4 total games of 9 minutes of ice time. His ice time is still averaging over 14 minutes
4.8M caphit - he should be in the top 5 in icetime of your forwards. Instead, he is bottom 4. And his production is well below what is expected of a 4.8M forward. And then the recent string of games with 9 mins of ice time.

No, you are are right - nothing to see there! LOL

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
4.8M caphit - he should be in the top 5 in icetime of your forwards. Instead, he is bottom 4. And his production is well below what is expected of a 4.8M forward. And then the recent string of games with 9 mins of ice time.

No, you are are right - nothing to see there! LOL
comes on a non related KK thread to try to poke at 2 games of ice time but pretends you aren’t pushing an agenda. Cool story

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
comes on a non related KK thread to try to poke at 2 games of ice time but pretends you aren’t pushing an agenda. Cool story
No one's pushing an agenda. Stop being so paranoid. Its just comical that you can't accept KK is having a down season. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to come to this conclusion son.

I am sure he will pick it up. Keep your chin up.

Deon Thompson

Feb 27, 2022
This Canes fan thinks that a heavily retained Laine would be worth the gamble, as we do badly need a sniper. Not sure if CBJ would go for that though. I think we've got ~6m of space at the deadline, so we don't need to move cap. CBJ needs forechecking forwards right?

Would y'all consider something like 2024 1st, mid-round pick or B prospect, and take your pick (or maybe both) of Bunting/Noesen for Laine at 50%?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
different styles. Torts runs a very conservate style leaning on defense first while playing a zone scheme. We play a very aggressive style that requires a constant motor of forechecking and m2m defense.
People keep saying that about Torts but he only coaches that way on weak teams. When he has the horses its up tempo, heavy forecheck, in your face hockey. People act like Torts made Bob but Bob allowed Columbus to play an aggressive style back when they actually had their only stretch of being a good and danerous team

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This one makes a lot of sense honestly.

Patty is for from perfect lol

But if you have a guy who can score where 99% of other NHL players can't, that can make a huge difference in a playoff series.

His best fit these days is as a middle six guy with some guys to do the dirty work and feed him the puck.

It's a big luxury at his AAV, but an off-season deal to a team with cap and a good supporting cast will be happy they did.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s beyond insanity how people still keep pushing this agenda that Laine lacks in effort.

You have a player as obviously flawed as Laine, yet people refuse to talk about those but constantly criticize him for the one thing he doesn’t lack…

Like how do people think it’s a good idea to come in a thread to talk about player they clearly have ZERO idea about.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Without doing any math vis-a-vis the cap or the number of contracts or roster spots, as a CBJ fan I would do this. I don't think Canes would, but for the sake of the thread...

I'll just add my voice to those calling out the false or outdated or oversimplified narratives regarding Laine's play.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love how a trade thread involving a ridiculous ask for a dubious player has devolved into an argument about KK, LOL.

But even as a Canes fan who doesn't suffer from KK inspired Stockholm Syndrome, and believes they need more upfront scoring, this is too big an ask and this guy probably doesn't do well in our system.

How about throw Elvis in there and start again?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
To Carolina Hurricanes:
Patrik Laine at 7.7mil AAV for 3 years(1mil retained)

To Columbus Blue Jackets:
Michael Bunting at 4.5mil AAV for 3 years
Jesper Fast at 2.4mil AAV for 2 years
1st 2024
Philadelphia Flyers 2nd 2024

Reasoning:
Carolina Hurricanes desperately need goal-scoring. Their top goal-scorer is Sebastian Aho at 17 goals. There are 48 players who have scored more goals than him. This is terrible for a top contender. While Patrik Laine hasn't scored at the pace that he used to in the past, I believe that he still should have the capability, especially when put in a situation to succeed. Hurricanes are missing a dedicated shooter. Aho can shoot but is really more of a playmaker, and Svechnikov is more of a power forward type than a sniper.

Patrik Laine and Sebastian Aho have some history together, and I think that they should work well together.

For the trade itself, Bunting is the direct replacement. He should be a fine player for his cap hit. He has a history of being able to perform as a first-liner, even though his current season hasn't been amazing. Fast is a bit of a cap move, who probably has neutral value, or even slightly negative.

For the picks, I wasn't entirely sure about the going rate. It's still three whole years, so Laine wouldn't be a rental. A first and the Flyers second does feel a bit steep to me especially with 1mil retained, but I don't think the players coming back are that amazing, so it might be justified. If this is considered an overpay, the Flyers 2nd can be changed into a later pick, such as Canes' own 2nd, or even a third. Either way, it's not really about the specific value but the idea of the trade that I'm going for.

What do you think?
I’d take Bunting 1 for 1

If you add a 1st I think the retention would be more than 1 million

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad