Patrik Laine, 13 goals in 13 Home games

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Meh all Mrazek had to do was poke check the puck away. Somethings not right with him this year. He hasn't been his stellar self since the beginning of the season.

Could it be so that Laine can be even "over-keyed" by Goalies based on his incredible demonstrations? Like that goalies would get extra butterflies to their stomach when encountering Laine, and that makes them perform subpar their capacities.

It's not always only about Laine, it's always also about a goalie.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Meh all Mrazek had to do was poke check the puck away. Somethings not right with him this year. He hasn't been his stellar self since the beginning of the season.

He scored exactly same goal (literally, exactly) few days ago for some another goalie, though.

Calling it now next time he'll fake the same move and if goalie overplays left side / 5hole, he'll just flip it top right corner. And if the goalie won't, Patrik'll probably go 5hole again or backhand. Wouldn't mind him take a slap shot though, #clipping bombs #"hyvää kesää lämään yläpesään" #Patrik #Laine

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Honestly, what kind of **** is this? You can say something like this for almost every goal scored in the NHL. Pointless.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
sx6V4dp.png

Sorry kid but you ain't filling those shoes anytime yet. Lol. **** was Selanne ever on a tear. As insane as Laine is now. It just shows even more how sick Selanne was as a player. Probably the greatest year ever a rookie will have in the NHL. His record will never be broken. Laine ain't even close to the "Finnish Gretzky" Selanne.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Sorry kid but you ain't filling those shoes anytime yet. Lol. **** was Selanne ever on a tear. As insane as Laine is now. It just shows even more how sick Selanne was as a player. Probably the greatest year ever a rookie will have in the NHL. His record will never be broken. Laine ain't even close to the "Finnish Gretzky" Selanne.

Not really arguing as Huge fan of Teemu, but if I was arguing, I would be calling for era adjustment. Not saying Patrik Might be best player ever from Finland but he might be the best player ever from Finland. Hail Teemu, Hail Patrik.

Watching like 7 games from tape-delay and some hokinaittii all-highlights packages, I gotta say Laine could probably have around those numbers if he had everything bounce his way. So many posts, crossbars, created scoring chances for line mates there is.

Also we gotta remember Selänne was 22 and Laine is 18. Laine has full four seasons to mature.

Kurri's old Finnish rookie goal record 32 from 1980's is completely doable for Pate though. He's that good hes probably doing it actually, in 2017. Not yet calling it. But theres really legit shot.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Selänne's Rookie record is notoriously one of most hard season record to be ever broken, yes. Probs the hardest of all rookie records. But... again, it was made 4 years older rookie once upon a time when goal scoring volumes were totally different level then now.

Comparability issues with these relative things in goal scoring make absolute measurements in amounts of goals rather dubious to be really useful.

If he hit 35 - for example - it would be amazing, 40 would be out of roof... 50 would be ridiculous... If he would break Bossy's old 53, he would be badass beyond any rational limits.

...and still 30+ would be excellent enough.

Last edited:

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

You have to judge players by the era they played in. Much easier to score in the early 90s.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

So an 18 yr old is the same as a 22 yr old? Nice try.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here was a nice read this morning. I especially agree with the bolded. As a fan of the NHL, I am just enjoying this ride. What a special player.

Jets' Laine makes case for Calder

Just give him the Calder, already.

That long slump some were expecting from Winnipeg Jets rookie Patrik Laine? They may as well have been dreaming of a brown Christmas.

The trouble he was going to have with increased checking and outright nastiness from NHL opposition?

No sign of that, either.

Going into the season Laine wasn't expected to outshine Auston Matthews of the Leafs.

With what's happened since, it'll be a shock if he doesn't become the first Jet since Selanne to win the rookie-of-the-year-award.

“He's not just a rookie -- he's a special player,†Drew Stafford said. “It's pretty fun to watch. I'm glad he's on our team.â€

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/12/06/jets-laine-makes-case-for-calder

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I hope they don't leave Stafford alone with Laine for any length of time, because he might try a voodoo hex to steal some of Laine's ability for his own.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine on his first Winnipeg winter.

This made me chuckle. Said before, Laine has a personality that lights up the NHL.

Laine shrugged off his first experience with a Winnipeg winter storm the way he might shrug off an undersized checker.

“Yeah, it's a lot of snow,†he said. “It's always nice to get snow during the winter. It looks better during Christmas.â€

While it can get pretty cold and snowy in Finland, Laine said Christmas back home last year was plus-10 and raining.

I guaranteed him it won't be plus-10 and raining here at the end of the month.

“I hope so,†he said. “Because that's not winter.â€

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Well last Christmas was utter bollocks in the central Finland. High volume rain that you almost never see in the winter or spring.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
But for those interested in corsi... he's improving. Can check his previous games as well.

4fba9ee7415b4142b66d1106c821c299.png

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2016020388

He's been much better in my recent viewings than earlier on in the season, its no surprise that his possession numbers are where they are as of late. Funny how they have meaning now though, and didnt before.. Either way he looks every bit of a special player in my viewings recently.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
About Winnipeg Sun article, Laine as a former Tampere region citizen is used to minus-30 degrees celcius. Not that it's often that cold in the winter here, but close to that every winter, and some times even more, but that's rare.

At least that was how it was before the climate change. Brown Christmas is just sad, like in the last year. I'm still waiting a good opportunity for make a small ice field for my kids, but temperature is now changing rapidly between minus-15 to plus-5 (and raining), not nice.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Laine on his first Winnipeg winter.

This made me chuckle. Said before, Laine has a personality that lights up the NHL.

Meh... Winnipeg gets 3 more hours of daylight than they get in southern Finland in winter. In the north the polar night has allready set and they wont see the sun for 50+ days.

Kaamos vs snow I'd pick snow any day.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Meh... Winnipeg gets 3 more hours of sunlight than they get in southern Finland in winter. In the north the polar night has allready set and they wont see the sun for 50+ days.

Kaamos vs snow I'd pick snow any day.

Yeah. It's very dark without snow bigger part of a day, even in southernmost parts of Finland. The Vicinity and thermopotential of Baltic Sea doesn't help either. Nowadays more permanent snow can come only after Christmas, and that doesn't cause anymore bigger wonderings about weather. If this curve of development continues further we'll experience 'British Winters' soon enough.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hmrp. We must come up with some other player comparison then.

Haha. If nothing else then we can at least compare two sheriffs in the town during two different eras. The star was awarded by the first to the second, and the second sheriff is doing hellish job to proof he earned it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Haha. If nothing else then we can at least compare two sheriffs in the town during two different eras. The star was awarded by the first to the second, and the second sheriff is doing hellish job to proof he earned it.

Hey, I know it's a prairie town, but I don't think it's appropriate to pick the cues from Tex Willer.

Though if he starts to shoot faster than his own shadow...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hey, I know it's a prairie town, but I don't think it's appropriate to pick the cues from Tex Willer.

Though if he starts to shoot faster than his own shadow...

Yep, you're maybe right. Sometimes I feel he resembles more like an outlaw fugitive then the man of law, at least what comes to density of claims he is breaking some written, widely recognized laws right now.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yep, you're maybe right. Sometimes I feel he resembles more like an outlaw fugitive then the man of law, at least what comes to density of claims he is breaking some written, widely recognized laws right now.

Sorry. Bon Jovi is reserved to those other guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00