Patrik Koys -- will he even be drafted?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Yeah, I know he is a 2014 eligible. However, on paper, it looks like he has been terrible this year. No matter how awful his team is, you can't justify him having only 2 goals in 43 games.

Has anyone seen him play this season?
Could he go undrafted?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
SO MUCH can happen a full year before you're draft-eligible. I have no idea what's up in Koys' case, but all we have to do is rewind back a year in the case of Jonathan Drouin, who didn't even start 2011-12 in the QMJHL.

I don't think this is anything to be overly concerned about (yet).

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
Got to see him recently in Halifax - he's shifty and has good hands, but is clearly not a fan of contact and had trouble creating space for himself.

Without coming back as a new player, more gutsy/strong next year - I don't see it.

Anyone from Shawinigan/ Telus division area get to see him regularly and sees things otherwise?

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
No doubt in my mind he'll be drafted.. He's a good player, and let us not forget that this is his first year playing in North America, so he's still adapting to the change.

Look at last year for him, still in Slovakia he was playing in an under-20 league at 16yo and put up 28pts in 29gp.. and on the under-18 team he put up 28pts in 12gp.. Obviously he can produce, it's just a matter of him being comfortable enough to do so.

And yes, you can blame the team he's on.. Shawinigan has iced 22 rookies this season.. 22.. 18 of them with at least 10 games played. They sold everything they had last year to get the Memorial Cup.. Last of all, if Koys had played all all 63 games so far this season, with his ppg he'd be at 13, which sounds incredibly ******, but would have him 9th on the team for scoring.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
SO MUCH can happen a full year before you're draft-eligible. I have no idea what's up in Koys' case, but all we have to do is rewind back a year in the case of Jonathan Drouin, who didn't even start 2011-12 in the QMJHL.

I don't think this is anything to be overly concerned about (yet).

You can't really compare his situation with Drouin's. He didn't start the season in the QMJHL because he decided to stay home, not because he wasn't good enough. And when he joined, he had an instant impact.

Koys was a healthy scratch in Shawinigan's two games last weekend. I saw him play 3-4 times this year and I didn't notice anything special in his game.

What happened? Wasn't he supposed to be the next great slovak?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What happened? Wasn't he supposed to be the next great slovak?

He was never that good. Some guys just overhyped him because one article compared him to Crosby. He also developed early was like 5'9 160 pounds as 13 year old which gave him advance against younger guys and allowed to put him up those ridiculous stats.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Highly doubt he gets drafted. Quite a disappointment when I saw him. He was soo hyped prior to the season. He's definitely having a hard time adapting to the North American style game. Not a fan of contact and looks timid out there. Needs to add size and strength as well before he graduates to the next level. Alot can happen in a year but he certainly hasn't looked at all like he's been advertised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad