Patrik Koys and Matej Paulovic

Fan 4 Life

Dec 26, 2007
Airdrie AB
Just wondering how these prospects are doing. Both are young Slovaks. Here's some information I know of but would appreciate some more information.

Patrik Koys

October 24 1995

5'9 157 lbs

2008-2009 HK Dubnica U18 Slovakia U18(2) GP 8 G 5 A 7 P 12
2009-2010 HK Dubnica U18 Slovakia U18 GP 48 G 23 A 29 P 52
2010-2011 HK Dukla Trencin U18 Slovakia U18 GP 24 G 20 A 20 P 40

Matej Paulovic

January 13 1995

6'2 172

2009-2010 HC Topolcany U18 Slovakia U18 GP 39 G 17 A 16 P 33
2010-2011 HC Topolcany U18 Slovakia U18 GP 26 G 24 A 20 P 44

For those who don't know, Patrik Koys was a young hot shot who had potential from a young age to be something special. Paulovic seems to have possibly surpassed him while being a big boy. Paulovic is also nearly a year older, despite both being '95s. Paulovic recently just played in WHC-U17 and I believe went pointless in 5 games.

Has anyone watched these boys more closely? How good are they?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Has anyone watched these boys more closely? How good are they?

Yeah, they have big potential. But also a lot to work to do. As i heard from one scout, Paulovic seems now be better choice, more defense responsible, but with great offensive potential. And he has the leadership skills. He is a Marian Hossa younger version. And Koys should work on his skating. But thats say others people, not me. I'm not a scout.

I saw Koys in one game and he has his own characteristic skating stature (i dont know, how i should say it. You know, when is he skating).

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The 2010/2011 stats seemed to be a bit outdated.

Paulovič
28GP 25G 21A 46PTS +13

Koyš
30GP 24G 26A 50PTS +27

This is without seeing them play, but statswise Paulovič had the better stat of that season, but since going to Dukla Trenčín KoyÅ¡ has been performing better in that department- and he was on a pretty big long scoring streak from October 9th to December 19th. The one thing you might consider though is the difference of the teams they are playing on- I guess on one hand it is significant to be the scoring leader on a top notch team as an underager, on the other hand as one coach of an U18 Extraleague team has described before his team´s game against Topoľčany: they would have to see whether Paulovič is playing, because he is capable of winning a game single handedly- that´s a great quality for a double underager as well. Though of course you have to bear in mind that the Slovak U18 league is pretty young this season unlike for example Czech U18, predominated by 1993 born players.

Another player of note, who might turn out to be as good or even better as the mentioned boys is the another underager from Slovak U17 WHC squad (1+1 in 3 games), but I think he is even smaller than Koyš and he needs to get things straight in his head first.

I guess only time will tell.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Another player of note, who might turn out to be as good or even better as the mentioned boys is the another underager from Slovak U17 WHC squad (1+1 in 3 games), but I think he is even smaller than Koyš and he needs to get things straight in his head first.

Well you forgot his name, Martin Reway :)

As was mentioned in another thread there are some interesting players available in the 2013 draft like Paulovic, Reway, Torok and in 2014 Koys. But that's a long way ahead and anything can happen. Their progression curve can decline and maybe someone else will pop up. I hope they will work hard and become excellent hockey players.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So are Paulovic and Koys the next generation's Gaborik and Hossa? If they turn out anywhere near them then Slovakia's national team could have some very good players in a few years. Koys, Paulovic, Panik, Tatar, Halak, Jurco, Viedensky, Marincin, Janosik, Sekera, Meszaros, etc. Honestly they could be better than the current Slovak team.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So are Paulovic and Koys the next generation's Gaborik and Hossa? If they turn out anywhere near them then Slovakia's national team could have some very good players in a few years. Koys, Paulovic, Panik, Tatar, Halak, Jurco, Viedensky, Marincin, Janosik, Sekera, Meszaros, etc. Honestly they could be better than the current Slovak team.

Thats hard to say. It has the future, but i doubt, it will be better than our Olympic team in Vancouver. I think, the biggest problem is the winning mentality. Thats i think is the biggest problem by all Slovak players. Sometime, when i look to national team games, i see there faces, they say "it is all the same to me, its only a game".

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Alko, I agree that some players do have that problem, however I don't think it's the case for those mentioned by smitty10.
And yes it's doubtful that they will ever reach the quality that we had ten years ago.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Alko, I agree that some players do have that problem, however I don't think it's the case for those mentioned by smitty10.
And yes it's doubtful that they will ever reach the quality that we had ten years ago.

Also, it´s a completely different generation which grew up under totally different conditions as the generation of Hossa. Gáborík and co. who pretty much grew up during communism/mečiarism and the game does change over the years. I don´t think it´s good to compare just as it´s not good to compare Crosby with the former Canadian greats for example.

Also, like Indian I disagree with the winning mentality, it´s true we will never have the Canadian mentality because we´re not Canada, but when you look at a guy like Tatar it´s impossible to doubt his winning mentality.

However what alko says it´s right for our Euro based NT team, but I wouldn´t call it the winning mentality, it seems to me that they lack the ability to at least try to compete.

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK
Hi,
Could anybody please inform me when are these Slovak 1995´s eligible for CHL Import Draft?

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
2010-2011 HK Dukla Trencin U18 Slovakia U18 44 34 39 73 14 | Playoffs 3 3 2 5 0

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Anything new on koys? Used to hear a lot about him but the hype has died down. Is he still considered an elite prospect?

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Patrik Koys went from 5'9 157 to 6'0 183lbs at 16 years old. That will be huge for his draft position.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
I'd agree with CzechExpert. He looked ~5'9'' at the U18's... And both him and Paulovic were definitely disappointing at that, although they were played on the 4th line.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
lol at people doubting the ability of a 16 year old to grow 2 inches over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad