Rumor: Patrick Roy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Does this franchise need a polarizing figure like Patrick Roy? Coaching kids who desperately want to play in the NHL is one thing, coaching NHL players who are making millions of dollars & have a lot more power or say on what goes on is another very different situation, especially for a fiery guy like Roy who is used to having his way. It's mentioned often that todays hockey players are very different than yesterdays & won't take some of the crap that used to be normal. Should be interesting where he ends up.

Reactions: Cosmix

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Does this franchise need a polarizing figure like Patrick Roy? Coaching kids who desperately want to play in the NHL is one thing, coaching NHL players who are making millions of dollars & have a lot more power or say on what goes on is another very different situation, especially for a fiery guy like Roy who is used to having his way. It's mentioned often that todays hockey players are very different than yesterdays & won't take some of the crap that used to be normal. Should be interesting where he ends up.

I think we need a hard ass coach to take the next step. Not sure if Roy is the right guy but I want someone that is going to make these guys work hard and hold them accountable when they screw up.

I'm not a big DJ fan but one thing you have to give him credit for is that the players absolutely love him. I just worry that he's too friendly with the players and not authoritative enough,

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we need a hard ass coach to take the next step. Not sure if Roy is the right guy but I want someone that is going to make these guys work hard and hold them accountable when they screw up.

I'm not a big DJ fan but one thing you have to give him credit for is that the players absolutely love him. I just worry that he's too friendly with the players and not authoritative enough,

I'd like to have Roy as the coach. By all accounts I've seen he is a good coach that can make adjustments quickly when needed. I don't mind having a fiery personality and I think he's toned that down from his early days. I also think you'll know what Roy is thinking.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I hear you on this point, I'm not sure now is the time. I think they will make the playoffs next yr, but I'm not sure how far they will get, I assume a 1st or 2nd rd exit. I'm not sure any coach could take them further especially if they haven't signed a new goalie. I do think though that maybe in a couple of yrs they could be a SC contender & that should be the yr they have a new coach if DJ can't take them further. I think they have a number of good pieces, but will need a couple of those big tough playoff warriors especially on D.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I feel that there absolutely needs to be a complete changing of the guard - replace both Dorion and Smith before the season starts. The league knows how these 2 operate and I'd rather not give either of them a grace period to see if they can change gears now that there has been an ownership change. Bring in winners.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't want a "hard ass" as coach. I want a coach who does the following:
1. clearly communicates individual roles to each player
2. holds players accountable for performing those roles
3. assists players in developing their skills and tactical moves for those roles
4. treats players with respect at all times
5. maintains self control at all times

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I don't want a "hard ass" as coach. I want a coach who does the following:
1. clearly communicates individual roles to each player
2. holds players accountable for performing those roles
3. assists players in developing their skills and tactical moves for those roles
4. treats players with respect at all times
5. maintains self control at all times

I also want Bruce Cassidy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I should have included a 6th requirement:
6. Seeks input from players regarding tactics and strategy.
1687300221346.png

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sparty is a constant reminder of the people involved in this franchise's complete lack of knowledge regarding history.

It's f***ing embarrassing.
I think you’re overthinking the mascot lol.

You have to look at it through the eyes of a kid. My young kids think lions are very cool and so think Sparty is cool.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You have to look at it through the eyes of a kid. My young kids think lions are very cool and so think Sparty is cool.

I never had a problem with Spartacat. My nieces like him.

A lion is cooler than a lot of other mascot animals, or some old white guy in a toga.

Reactions: Bileur

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Cool. Make it a relate to the correct period. Sparta was a Greek city state. Senators were the Roman ruling class (Assuming that is what they were going for). Their prominence was separated by several hundred years...

Its analogous to the Detroit Pistons mascot being a pack mule.

Things can be fun or kids and accurate.

Also, there was this...

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad