Signing(s): Patrick Queen signs with the Steelers (3 years, $41 million)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This must be an error or a typo for the team
The Ravens and Steelers don’t have a contemptuous rivalry in the sense that like the other side is evil, and switching sides makes them persona non grata, it’s quite the opposite.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I meant that the Steelers actually spent on a guy from the top shelf, they usually are digging through the bargain bins
The Packers used to be the same way, they would virtually never have any free agents or trades during the Ted Thompson years. The Steelers are a team that often has good draft process, so they don't seem to need to, but they now have to acknowledge that they're falling behind as the conference is much more competent around them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he was never coming back, but surprised he didn't end up in seattle. i thought for sure he'd reunite with mcdonald in seattle

he improved a lot after they got roquan, so we'll see if he keeps up that play without him

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The Packers used to be the same way, they would virtually never have any free agents or trades during the Ted Thompson years. The Steelers are a team that often has good draft process, so they don't seem to need to, but they now have to acknowledge that they're falling behind as the conference is much more competent around them.

Oh yeah, I get it, but prior to this deal the Pirates had given out a larger FA deal than the Steelers ever had, so it's a little strange. I guess when you spend under 1.5 mil on your QB that helps save a few dollars for elsewhere as well. Russ is already cooking up something good

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I meant that the Steelers actually spent on a guy from the top shelf, they usually are digging through the bargain bins

The silver lining to losing a franchise QB and a few rough draft years. This signing should have never happened as Devin Bush should have been that guy but that went ever so slightly wrong...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If NFL salaries are an indicator, LB, S, RB and TE are not positions that get paid unless you are the elite all-pro caliber guys. Not the positions to go into.

Queen at under $14 mill AAV on 3 years, so not a lot of term to allocate the SB over. Roquan Smith averages $20 on his deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also a new GM, I have my doubts if Colbert would have gone in this direction

I think he'd have done it. I think Colbert gets an unfair rap due spending most of his GMing days with all the money already spent on drafted players, which is what you actually want. That this is happening is the bigger indictment of Colbert, imo.

But I could be wrong.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I think he'd have done it. I think Colbert gets an unfair rap due spending most of his GMing days with all the money already spent on drafted players, which is what you actually want. That this is happening is the bigger indictment of Colbert, imo.

But I could be wrong.

I'll take it either way, and now just hope we wasn't getting fat by feasting on all of Roquan's scraps, and that he is actually a solid LB

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad