Patrick Lalime/Marc Denis emergency goalie situation?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Given what happened recently with Carolina-Toronto do we know who's the emergency goalie in Montreal?

I know this stuff basically never happens but it's still fun to speculate.

Since RDS/TVA Sports are covering every game you are 100% sure one of Lalime or Denis is near the team and could be on the ice ready to play within 20-30 minutes of an injury...

So would Lalime or Denis suit up in an emergency situation?

Reactions: Fixxer and Gains

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I thought I read that they can't be former NHL professional players - not sure where I saw it

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
Lalime said he was but not anymore. He still has the jersey.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I remember at one point Josh Gorges had to travel with goalie equipment as he would be our emergency backup goalie if ever needed.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I heard this morning on the radio that it was indeed Marc Denis the emergency goalie at the Bell Center until last year. No idea who is now.

Montreality

Jul 11, 2012
Montreal
Emergency goalie cannot be former nhler.
I am not sure that is accurate. When you retire officially from the NHL while under contract you can't come back for like 3 years. I guess alot of guys are a lot older and out of shape by them so dont bother

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The Habs emergency goalie is Karel St-Laurent, the goalie of my hometown Éperviers de Sorel. There's also a guy from McGill University who's on there, and if all else fails, there's Marc Denis. Martin Maguire mentionned it on saturday.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The Habs emergency goalie is Karel St-Laurent, the goalie of my hometown Éperviers de Sorel. There's also a guy from McGill University who's on there, and if all else fails, there's Marc Denis. Martin Maguire mentionned it on saturday.
Habs play on April 1st. Price should get ejected for fighting or something, and then have Lindgren "get hurt" as well. Would be a good prank on Marc Denis to make him play while also doing commentary.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't know why people say it can't be a former goalie, it can be and has happened. Not hard to look up the rule

From the NHL rulebook:
“Each team shall have on its bench, or on a chair immediately beside the bench, a substitute goalkeeper who shall, at all times, be fully dressed and equipped ready to play. Except when both goalkeepers are incapacitated, no skater in the playing roster in that game shall be permitted to wear the equipment.
“In regular League and Playoff games, if both listed goalkeepers are incapacitated, that team shall be entitled to dress and play any available goalkeeper who is eligible. This goalkeeper is eligible to sit on the player’s bench, in uniform. In the event that the two regular goalkeepers are injured or incapacitated in quick succession, the third goalkeeper shall be provided with a reasonable amount of time to get dressed, in addition to a two-minute warm-up (except when he enters the game to defend against a penalty shot).
“If, however, the third goalkeeper is dressed and on the bench when the second goalkeeper becomes incapacitated, the third goalkeeper shall enter the game immediately and no warm-up is permitted.”

Reactions: 26Mats

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

Isn't he playing for Jonquière now? I highly doubt St-Laurent is making the drive to Montreal 41 times a year in the dead of winter just to be an ''emergency backup''

Even if he was in Sorel that's still a decent drive especially with traffic around the island at 5-6 PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad